Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike not starting,did wiring check,OK tested solenoid OK,got starter out,dud, got a new motor.
fiddly to get out or in,but i am told there is a need to rock the back wheel, back and forth to get the starter into position without damaging the reverse gearing,
can anyone enlighten me . .Also would like to know if it should be in neutral,or in gear?,these may be basic questions but i am new to wings
Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
The starter MUST push all the way in by hand, easier with two people. Get a mate to turn the crank with a socket on the bolt under the centre front cover.

If you try to pull the starter in with the mounting bolts chances are you will break a gear inside meaning engine out!

Repeat the starter MUST push all the way in by hand pressure only

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
Bike not starting,did wiring check,OK tested solenoid OK,got starter out,dud, got a new motor.
fiddly to get out or in,but i am told there is a need to rock the back wheel, back and forth to get the starter into position without damaging the reverse gearing,
can anyone enlighten me . .Also would like to know if it should be in neutral,or in gear?,these may be basic questions but i am new to wings
Thanks
It will have to be in gear to turn what needs to turn to get the starter gear aligned.

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
I agree but Bryan was talking about turning the crank with a ratchet and socket. I bet it turns righty tighty. Too lazy to look. :)
No, it turns lefty on the 6 cyl wings, righty on 4 cyl.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys thanks for the info,, but i can only get it to within about a quarter of an inch and no amount of riddle seams to get it any closer ,??any further advice thanks in anticipation

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
If it is that close the shaft has to be started in correctly. I am kind of hesitant but if it were me I would try pulling it in very carefully. I suspect just a very small amount of torque on the nuts will draw it in. The o-ring might be holding it back especially if you did not lube the o-ring before install. Be careful and use caution.
Could try spinning the rear wheel in gear . Not sure if that will help but it can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Try pushing harder, it should go all the way but as said the O ring could be a tight fit
I'm with you Bryan. It is such a hard angle to get any good push on it. It makes me a little nervous but you would think it must be started well in to the spline. Just stuck, huh? :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts