Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have 1984 gl1200 interstate, awhile back i asked for help on this electrical problem i was told i had a short to ground, i cleaned up the connections going to the instrument cluster and it seemed to take care of it, now it is back and no matter what i do it is not going away. all the connections are cleaned but every time i start her up the temp and fuel gauge get pinned, the tach stops working and the turn signal indicator lights come on, if i unplug the small connector on the left side of the fairing that is connected to the main harness that goes under the false tank all the above problems stop but all gauges, turn signal and tach do not work any help in finding a cause for this problem would be greatly appreciated. has anyone else ever had this problem?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hi Mike. you have one of those hair ripping problems that will require some patients to find.

The turn signal light that stays on tells me that power might be finding its way to your dash through ground. This could be happening from the rear tail lights just as much as from the front. It is likely that a wire is pinched under places like your seat, or the frame where the wire might have worn through its protective jacket & touched ground.

You could also have a connector in your fairing with a burn inside it that you cant see until you unplug & look into it just like a stator plug that looks good until you pop it apart.

What happens when you pull your fuse to your turn signals? Does the light on the dash go out or is it still finding power from another circut?

Keep me posted!

Wayne.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

A shorted out regulator will peg your gauges..I think

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

i am not aware of the 84 interstate having a 7volt regulator for the gauges, does any one know if it has one? if it does have one can this cause this problem?, i did own a 82 silverwing that had one but when the reg went the gauges just stopped working, this problem does seem like there is some sort of voltage feed back, this is not going to be fun to trace this problem.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

i will also check inside the fairing for any burnt connectors, and the harness underneath the seat and false tank.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,958 Posts
imported post

mikemm wrote:
i cleaned up the connections going to the instrument cluster and it seemed to take care of it, now it is back and no matter what i do it is not going away.
If the cleaning on thecluster connectionsfixed it once, then perhaps you just need to follow that circuit fartherin search of more dirt, corrosion or melted connector.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Yes cleaning the connections next to the harness that goes into the fairing did seem to work or maybe i just got lucky when i was moving the wires around and whatever was shorting out just reconnected, there was one other time that the same problem happened and when i grabbed the harness to disconnect the connetor the problem went away (i know i should have troubleshoot the issue then) but everything has been fine untill a few days ago, I will follow the circuit farther and look for dirt and corrosion on other connectors i will also trace out the wiring diagram with a meter and hopefullly find the problem, fix it and get riding again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.