Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between my '72 CB450 and the '85 GL1200 my insurance is over $1000 per year. I have full coverage including theft. Are there other (as in cheaper) ways to go? I plan to have the '81 GL1100 on the road next summer.

·
Administrator
57,488 Posts
If,

you can combine your bike insurance, with your home and vehicle insurance, that can, and did for me, reduce the rate quite a bit.

Progressive will only do my bikes here in Oklahoma.

Allstate ripped me off, as did the other 'state' company.

I ended up with Liberty Mutual who now has all of my stuff together, in separate policies to be sure, but under one roof.

1 bike,
3 vehicles,
1 house.

now, a word of caution to comparing rates to someone else.

IT CAN'T BE DONE.

every insurance agent has told me the same thing,

your personal Credit Score, Zipcode, Past Credit history, Employment and with whom....

all have an effect.

tain't fare she says, but it is, the way it is, and we can't change it.

You can compare companies, and that is what I did.
I filled out one of those online questionnaires that then get submitted to several companies

When I did that, I got several proposals back, and Liberty Mutual bested the next best by two to one.

·
Administrator
21,865 Posts
Don't most companies profess multi-vehicle discounts? I know Flo and the lizard do. How much...well, in Flo's case not a lot with Car and Bike combined.

I question full coverage on those bikes though. Any kind of claim and they're going to total the bike. And I'd bet they don't offer applicable "classic" status for them either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have all my vehicle insurance with Progressve. 4 bikes 2 trucks 1 car and a boat. The bikes are 1700 a year full coverage 100/300/100 and uninsured motorist.. The trucks and car are full coverage, the cost on them went down when I did the bikes.. I do not remember how much it went down but 124 a month for them. 200 a year for the boat 12k coverage.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Geico gives a multi-bike discount, plus a multi-line for car and bike policies with them.

Also get full road service for the bikes for 10 dollars a year, the cage I think is 6 months for 10 bucks

The deductible is where your `savings` can be found. Pick your odds on paying 500-1000 or stashing 500 for this type emergency

Ask your agent about Med-Pay, will cover you for any accidents immediate medical treatment needs,
without worrying about whose insurance is paying for what, just go in and get treatment.
iirc $20 a year on the bike with max limit 2,000$
The cage they allow much higher limits for low dollars per month.
Highly Recommended!

The laws are changing on how rates are determined:
In Ca they cant use miles per year against you, some/many states they cant use credit rating

With todays economy, the bad driver may be the one with great credit, while the guy in a suit is out of work and depressed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.