Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up North for a week or so. Had a coffee with my buddies and a lot of talk about nothing.
They said that vehicle insurance is not mandatory in all states. I googled it as I didnt believe it to be true. They were right.Virginia and New Hampshire does not require it.
I wonder if they are required to have insurance when they travel outside their state.
I kept my liability insurance very high here in Fl because thats what I had in NJ. I might trim it down a notch.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,661 Posts
Here in Oklahoma, we have two forms of Vehicle Insurance, as does Arizona where I lived previously for 20 years.

(1) Liability which is typically $300k
(2) Uninsured Motorist for the same amount

I carry both, just because of what you mentioned...
In Oklahoma, it is now a requirement to have fully paid up Insurance for a year to obtain a License Plate for a vehicle.

Several years ago, Insurance was sold in quarterly allotments, but no more. At least in OK, and AZ.

Still, folks will purchase insurance with a small bank account, and then close the account....
In Oklahoma it is a requirement that Insurance companies notify the state of lapsed insurance, which then causes that License Plate to be Voided....

this situation has resulted in a lot of LEO vehicles now having Photo Scanners to catch vehicles with expired/Voided tags.

Oklahoma is trying to equip all of our LEO vehicles with scanners, but it will be a long time before all are equipped with them.
The scanners are sync'd up with the state's Database by WiFi daily when the vehicles are back at the station houses.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
967 Posts
Colorado requires insurance, too. Most insurance is in 6 month policies, and you are allowed to pay in monthly installments (with surcharges). Significant savings if policy is paid in full up front.
My Auto policies are every 6 months, the bike policy (different carrier) is annual.

Reactions: Sniper60

·
Administrator
27,925 Posts
I don't think it should be required anywhere as long as you are bonded for the typical liability amount. I could never make that happen but would if I could.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I lived in Florida up until two yrs. ago and they didn't require insurance there either. I think it's foolish to ride without it and always carried substantial coverage on my Wings and later my Valkyries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts