Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I am really glad I found this forum. Looks like a great group of fellow riders. I recently got my 82 Goldwing and I am digging it.

My question is what parts will fit through the years?

For example lets say 80 thru 84 might be the same fairings and bags. Perhaps the same engine. I think it would be great to make a list of generaly what parts are interchangeable between years/ and or models.

Here is a pic of my 82 goldwing. Have a great day and looking for to adding info here.

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Hey, cruzzinchop. That's a right nice looking Wing. I'm thinking of buying one of those from a friend down below Branson. The bike's still here. Only has 7000 miles. Have fun with that rig.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I think that the frame compnents on the 1000's and 1100's are interchangable as well as the engines, however the 1200's are different. Cannot speak for the forks and I know that the comstars went through changes as well and whether they are interchangable or not I dod not know. looks like you have a handaline fairing, but those are aftermarket bags

welcome to the forum... also, make sure you always clean that fortbragg salt air off your bike

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys!

The bags are made by Samsonite. A whole kit with the bastrest ect for the passenger. They come right off the bike with a single key then you can carry them in like suite cases. I was considering changeing the setup to a stock style bags and trunk. I started searching around but then needed to know what years will interchange to make the search a bit easier. A good reference as to what years or models of parts will interchange is a great thing to have. When searching E-Bay ect. it is nice to know what parts will work. Calling the honda dealer wont garrantee it will fit. They know you are trying to buy elsewere and dont really take the time to make sure the parts you are looking at will fit your bike. Not to blame them we are searching the parts from another source and just useing them for knowlege. Although they should know that we buy a big chunk of other goodies from them so a little time with some info would not hurt. If we can put together a general years / models of interchange I will put it in a nice list format and post it up.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I would think that any honda-line bags that are off of a 1100 interstate or aspencade will fit your bike. All the bags for 1000's were after-market and they should also fit. As mentioned above, the 1200's are different, and while you might be able to "make" them fit they certainly would not be bolt ons

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum "Worlds Best"!

Stayed in your town (Fort Bragg , CA)once for a couple of weeks, it doesn't get any nicer than that, I loved it!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the welcomes!!! I think Fort Bragg is nice but it really is not to cool when it comes time to get parts or do just about anything that is fun or good. The prices have soared on everything. Pretty much double what it is in the near by city's. Although it is 1.5 hours to the closest city to here where you can get normal prices and stuff. The Mill closed...fishing has all but died out. There is no money in town and the city wont let it grow with new business. Basically they have weekly meetings to figuire out how to get the town back on it's feet but it looks like it is just to far under at this time. Everyone is moving away. The best part is the ocean and Hwy 1 that runs along the coast both north and south of me. It makes for a great ride. I try to make the 30 mile run up every evening. It is fun and I drug a few pedals on my last trip up. If anyone is ever going to be in town I am always game for meeting up and going for a ride to show the sites.

Jason

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Here is the Readers Digest version of the interchangeability within GL1100 USA model

Engines: 1980 thru 1982 some minor gearing and carb changes.

1983 will bolt right in but had gearing changes and depending on model, some connection changes.

Plastic and mounting:1980 thru 1983 minor changes, but interchangeable. 1983 had more passenger room.

Wheels and tires: 1980 and 1981 interchange. 1982 and 1983 share tire sizes and will interchange but are different styles.

Brakes: 1980 and 1981 interchange. 1982 and 1983 calipers interchange although they are connected differently.

There are minor running changes throughout production but these are some highlights. I'm sure others will add to the list.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Cruzzinchop and welcome to the most informative forum on the web. Dadoo gives you a pretty good list of interchangeable pieces. As you have an '82, you willwant to stick with the '82/'83 for most of the mechanicals. The major changes between those years were the change from ComStar to cast aluminum wheels; independent to integrated brakes and the anti-dive forks on the '83. There are notable exceptions but if you stay with '82/'83 you should be in good shape. You may find these links interesting. http://www.goldwinginfo.com/and http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm If you are still wanting to change out the bags and trunk to the Interstate/Aspencade units, then you will want to stick with the '82 units (for color only) all the bags and brackets from '80 to '83 will interchange. Try to find an '83 trunk mount bracket as it sets the trunk back farther and gives your passenger a more comfortable ride. Good luck and send pics from time to time.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

cruzzinchop wrote:
Hello, I am really glad I found this forum. Looks like a great group of fellow riders.
Hey cruzzinchop :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: Yeah great crowd of wingers here, and everyone wants to help. :leprechaun:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, the picture of your wing and those Samaonite bags brought back images of the t.v. chimp/gorilla thrashing them all around in those old commercials. Just can't stop laughing..... Thanks for the memories..... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I don't think that the '82 and '83 front brake calipers are entirely the same. Yes, they are both dual piston caliper, but due to the '83 having Unified brakes, the front calipers have different sized pistons. The left front which is the front brake, has bigger pistons than the right, which is linked to the rear brake.

There are so many more differences in the '80-'83 years, it's hard to know where to start...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

You're right 83 is different!

80 -82 are the same as far as I know?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

'80 and '81 had single piston calipers, they started using dual pistons in '82. Unified in '83.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum, Just a nice bunch of bikers. Your saddlebags bring back some memories. I had a set of those on my 83 CB1000 and loved their ease of removal .

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I can speak from experience with the '83 brake calipers!

I believe this was the first year of the unified braking system and when I first tried to get a full set of piston seals for all three calipers I ran into all sorts of difficulties.

My Honda dealer told me that the independent front left caliper had the same size pistons as the rear brake, and the linked front right caliper had smaller pistons. When I dismantled them, I found that all three were a different size, and I had no seal to fit the independent front left caliper. Eventually, I discovered that thisis the same size as the '82 which did not have unified brakes (and both front calipers were the same size).

None of this is on the online parts fiches or the Honda dealers' fiches!

Gilbert

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Does anyone know if the front brake master cylinder is interchangeable between the 1980 and 1981 wing?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Cruzzinchop. It is a good place to find answers with some BS thrown in for laughts.Yours is certainly a good looking bike. I have a simular set-up on my 83 but they are the Hondaline bags and trunk. I love the ability to carry in bags and trunk into motel and love to take them off and run naked without. :waving::waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

a_kadel wrote:
Does anyone know if the front brake master cylinder is interchangeable between the 1980 and 1981 wing?

Welcome to the Foruma_kadel. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I checked the http://www.Goldwinginfo.com/ and they indicate these are the same. :waving: :waving: :waving:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.