Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

The GL1000 & GL1100 share a lot of parts, but later models have very few common parts. Here are some of the common gl1000/1100 parts,

"A. Yes, quite a few parts are interchangeable between the GL1100 & GL1000. The GL1200 in comparison uses very few bits from the parts bin. Some of the parts shared between the GL1000 & GL1100 are; Front & rear engine cover gaskets, valves & valve springs (up to 1981), valve seals, rocker cover gaskets & sealing washers, timing belts, timing belt cover gaskets, oil filter & drain plug, clutch springs, exhaust gaskets, ignition switch assembly (1978, serial no. 4104123 & up), starter motor brushes, starter clutch rollers, front & rear wheel bearings, front brake master cylinder & reservoir repair kits (up to 1981), front brake pads (78-81) front brake pads on the 75-77 GL1000 are the same as rear pads on 80-81 GL1100, brake lever 79-81, clutch lever 78-81, rear lamp unit lens 79-83. Heavy duty aftermarket replacement stators will fit either model as well. I've probably omitted plenty of other items, but you get the general idea."

I got the above from this page of the site; http://www.goldwingfacts.com/FAQpage.htm

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Stretrod48 running "Naked without the Bags", that could cause some night mares !!:baffled::goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Stretrod48 running "Naked without the Bags", that could cause some night mares !!:baffled::goofygrin:
I guess the poor folks here in Charlotte area are used to it. I do it all the time during the warm months !! I am a exhibitionist at heart !! :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hello A_Kadel and welcome to the forum. The master cylinders on the 80 & 81 are interchangeable. Changes came with '82.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum cruzzinchop. That is the same year and colour of my first Goldwing. I bought it stripped and put on the Honda Fairing and at the time you could get Honda colour matched bags. Sameidea as the Samsonite, just turn a key and the hole bag came off the bike like a suit case. Real handy .

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Thanks, this is my first goldwing and I really don't know much about them, but I got a great deal from my uncle on a 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100 with 18,000 miles on it. The only problem is that it sat under a cover for about 12 months in his garage without even so much as a look. I have drained the gasand refilled with fresh. It started, but runs a little rough. The brakes were also locked up so I took the master cylinder apart and it was pitted, so I am now trying to locate a new/good used one. It really is a beautiful bike. I also have two Triumph's that Ienjoy riding.

Any hints or suggestions regarding this wing would really be appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

A_Kadel, you did get a very nice bike. First hand suggestions, would be to change all the fluids, filters and the timing belts. Since it sat up a year, the carbs are partially plugged with varnish, this is causing the rough running. Run some SeaFoam through a couple tanks of gas and see if they clean up the easy way. If you don't already have one, get a shop manual for the bike. I prefer the Honda Service Manual but the Clymer is also good. Ask any and all questions here on the forum, there is a gold mine of knowledge here and some humor as well. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

If i remember right the 1200 engine sits at an angle in the frame anf the radiator fits different as well but it can be made to fit . Speaking of part change over im trying to see if a set of 1200 timing belt covers will fit my 1100 as the chrome on mine is bad and ive been offered a set of 1200

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.