Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just purchased used HJC helmets with communication gear. The radio works, the CB works, but the intercom doesn't work. Everything seems to be plugged in. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Chief

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Try rechecking your connections,looking for possible corrosion or just not beingconnected well.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Intercom volume turned up?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Is the intercom volume the same as the radio volume???

Chief

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

not on 1500 says i/c on intercom volume

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It is an '08 GL1800.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

If the speakers worked before, this has to be a connection problem. Have the radio turned on and fader to the rear speakers while you play with the connectors.

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

Push the volume button 'til it shows I-com and check it.
If your hedsets areworking on radio and CB, then I'm thinking you need to turn the I-com volume up!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Push the volume button 'til it shows I-com and check it.
If your hedsets areworking on radio and CB, then I'm thinking you need to turn the I-com volume up!
tfdeputydawg is right, with the intercom turned on (press the intercom button once and the intecom icon will show up on the display) you need to press the volume knob down once and the intercom volume will show up in the display. Pressing it a second time it will display the intercom mute, the higher the number the easier it is for the intercom to mute the radio as you are talking.

I typically have to keep the intercom up around 16-18 (max is 20) for the wife to hear me as we are running down the road. To turn the intercom back off press and hold the intercom button down until the intercom icon in the display disappears, usually 2-3 seconds.

If you have done this and you still cannot hear each other in the headsets check the connections where they are just under the tupperware.

Henry

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

BenMilner wrote:
If the speakers worked before, this has to be a connection problem. Have the radio turned on and fader to the rear speakers while you play with the connectors.
I think you got that in the wrong thread Ben. :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Sure sounds like the i-com volume is down to me.

Like to turn mine way down at times without wifey knowing:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

We are making some headway. I can now hear conversation in one of the helmuts, but not the other. We have changed cables and checked connections and I believe the problem to be in the headset speakers. Strange as it may sound, I can't hear my lovely bride's siren voice when she talks into her mike, but I can hear it if she scratches it with her fingernail. I'm thinking the speakers in the helmet may be the culprit but I don't know how to take them apart without tearing them up.

All counseling gratefully accepted.

Chief

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Hi
It'll depend what the HJC helmets were wired up to before. As in the 1500 and I believe the 1800 system, the 5 pin din plug is wired differently for the driver and the passenger, however if you can hear music through both helmets the problem may be with the din plug configuration. Just a thought.

Regards
Ian

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The plot thickens, Ian. The gentleman I bought the helmets from had a 1500. He had to quit riding due to health problems and sold his bike. I don't have a clue what a "din plug" configuration is, much less how to manipulate it.

We "recovering Harley drivers" don't know much about this new fangled stuff, but I do love my new Wing. The education process is well under way.

This is going to require more tequila.

Chief

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Din connector is a particular configuration (in this case, it's the round 5 pin connector that you plug your lower (large end) cords in to...one in a holder on the side of the left passengers glove box, the other in a holder to the right of the riders left glove box. By the way, with intercom selected, depressing the volume button on the radio will bring up a menu that adjusts the intercom volume. Another press brings up adjustment for nav volume relative to master volume (if you have nav)

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

The wiring for both the passenger and the driver are the same on the 1500 and the 1800. Here is a picture direct from this site!!

The easiest way to tell if the helmet headset/microphone or the bikes wiring is the issue is to swap the helmets from the passenger to the driver positions. If the same headset/microphone is still causing the problem then it is the headset. If the problem stays in the same position it is the bike wiring.

Henry

Attachments

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Some microphones are noise cancelling, make sure your wife's is turned properly toward her mouth and is no more then 1/2 in away and directly in front of her mouth.

Turn the intercom volume all the way up before you start testing, if everything works you will have to turn it down some.

Does your wing have an aftermarket "Microphone Mute" for the passenger installed?? If so there will be a press to talk button somewhere back by the passengers seating area.

Henry

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

1. If you use each helmet as the drivers helmet, test the radio mute when you speak into the mike. The radio volume should partially mute when you speak and you should hear your own voice through speakers. Try this same process with second helmet.
2.Try same process in passenger socket.
3. One of these should not work, i suspect problem is in one of the helmets.
3. I suspect one of the helmets will fail this test.
4. Have you had the intercom on your bike working before this?
5. You should be able to hear a nail scratch on the mike always.
6. Finally, I suspect the problem is with the condenser mike in one of the helmets, but this will become apparent in test #1.

Cheers
Ian

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

If you can hear the rear mic when she scratches it then the problem is more than likely mic placement. These newer mics are very directional and any place but the center of the mouth is not good. 1/2 inch from center with a dynamic mic has a loss of 50 to 70% of the voice audio level. The intercom setting of 9 or 10 is maximum on the 1800, any higher and the wind noise takes over. If you Cannot get it right give Jeff a call at 800-338-6938 and he can walk you through how to check everything out. Tell him Wayne had you call.
By the way Honda has had the same wiring and dynamic mic requirements since the 1980 type 1 system.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Thanks Wayne, you've just verified what I've been telling my wife for a long time. She doesn't like the mike directly in front of her mouth even though I tell her to talk directly into the mike.

I finally got the idea across to her by swapping the headsets between our helmets (mine has a mike on a wire instead of a boom). I placed the boom mike to the side of my mouth and talked to her and she had a hard time hearing me even when we were setting still. When I put it directly in front of my mouth she heard perfectly.

Since then there has been no problems

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.