Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it possible to fit some sort of intercom to my GL1200. I have a Panasonic radio and there is a knob to control the intercom. Is this just a case of getting leads to plug into the rear of the radio and getting the gear for the helmets ?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

The helmet cords normally come with the bike. Lift the saddle and see if the passenger one is buried there and also lift the left fairing pockt in case the front one is there. As far as I know the only models that don't come with intercoms are Japanese maket ones.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Quite often owners who don't use intercoms just stuff the pigtails under the saddle and pocket to keep them out of the way. Have a look, they might just be there.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Yes Peninsula Winger, I just pruchased an 84 Aspy and I found both pigtails stuffed under the seat. Might try looking there. The previous owner of my bike had no idea that it had an intercom system.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:
Yes Peninsula Winger, I just pruchased an 84 Aspy and I found both pigtails stuffed under the seat. Might try looking there. The previous owner of my bike had no idea that it had an intercom system.
That happens a lot. Often the motorcycle shops hide the pigtails by accident when servicing used Wings prior to selling them. :?:?

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Peninsula Winger,

Did you happen to find your pigtails for your intercom system? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:
Peninsula Winger,

Did you happen to find your pigtails for your intercom system? Just curious.

No joy with the pigtails. I took the seat off and looked behind the pockets on the fairing and nothing to be found.

So is it a matter of getting a set of leads and and plugging in ??

Rgds

Peninsula Winger

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The leads attach to the main harness coming out of the back of the radio.

I checked a couple of sources and found them available if you don't find them.

Check with

http://www.powersportspro.com/partsfish/

You'll need to create an account to use their parts fiche, doesn't cost anything and their prices are reasonable.

The leads were just over 20.00 US each.

You'll need to locate the main harness on the back of the radio to install new leads, so do it first to see if they are there.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Sierra Communications has a J&M distribution box with all the needed cables for $76. This unit interfaces with the Stock panasonic radio and works with the OEM intercom controls. You need the distribution box if you want to run intercom. If you just want driver headset for music you can fish the cable for thatout of the fairing.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

The intercom wires on my '85 1200A go to a junction box in the left side of the fairing, under the pocket with the snap on cover. Remove the 4 screws and look around in there. You may also find a fuse or two hiding in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.