Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I`m looking into getting intercom on my 85 Aspencade.I dont know if my bike is intercom ready,although it does have interom selction on the Panasonic radio,I could explore the radio and look for cords,but is it worth it or should I buy the aftermarket setups?

If I do find the 5 pin DIN everyone talks about,do I just get headsets with the cords and use that?

Cansomeone point me in the right direction pease?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

zonk3939 wrote:
I`m looking into getting intercom on my 85 Aspencade.I dont know if my bike is intercom ready,although it does have interom selction on the Panasonic radio,I could explore the radio and look for cords,but is it worth it or should I buy the aftermarket setups?

If I do find the 5 pin DIN everyone talks about,do I just get headsets with the cords and use that?
It's most likely your bike does have an intercom. My 1986 SEi did and worked fine. If you can find the two connectors, one usually comes out from under the left cubby and the other is usually hanging out of the rear of the seat on the left. You might find them under the seat and under the cubby box. If you find them all you need are headsets and connector cords. I bought Chatterbox headsets, they come with both cables for $78 which suited me pricewise more than any of the others. They have performed well for me so far. The built in intercom is nice because it will mute the radio or cassette player when either person speaks and you can set the mute level.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Exavid.I`ve looked and dont see the connectors,so am convinced I have to go the way of buying new intercom.

I also have this funky little CB radio mounted on the bike.It has all the controls and LED face for the channel right on the mic.I dont see where it plugs into anything,and am wondering if I`m missing part of that setup.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The Aspencades came stock with intercoms.

Are you in Rochester NY or Rochester MN.

If you're in MN I'd be glad to take a look with you.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Rochester NY..but you can still come over and look :D;)

I`m wondering if the previous owner didnt remove the cables..if I couldnt find a wiring diagram for the intercom that showed what parts I need.Maybe removing the radio and following wires/cables from there?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the CB you have isnt the Honda CB, but it should have the cables for the intercom unless they have been removed by the previous owner.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

tricky wrote:
Sounds like the CB you have isnt the Honda CB, but it should have the cables for the intercom unless they have been removed by the previous owner.
The cb mounted to the handlebars..the mic had all the controls on it,ie channel,volume,squelch.I dont think its missing some stuff,but I dont care to have a cb that much anyways..the intercoms a different story though.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

#7 Radio

#10 Audio Wire Harness

#11 Wire Harness

#13 Sub Harness

#19 Power Amp

#26 Auto Volume

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

The junction box on my '85 Aspy is under the left cubby.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I found one 5 Din connector under the left cubby.There is none running to the rear.Its in with a few other connnectors that are connected and run somewhere,but not sure where.

Is there an easy way to remove the radio mount in the dash,or does the Fairing have to come off?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

My 86 Aspencade needed the intercom Junction box for intercom operation, I don't think it came stock. If you just want to listen to music thru the headsets you can use the single 5 pin din that is not termintedand hook it to a Honda, J&M or any honda compatible headset. I got my junction box from Sierra communications. It was $76 and included all the cables and good instructions on how to install it. It was a J&M unit but I think it has been discontinued by them hopefully they still have some in stock.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

I pulled underneath my left pocket apart and found a factory cable that branches off to the rear of the bike from the single 5 pin din that exits the back of the radio (grey coloured cable). The cable is labelled A & B.......my buddies (85 Aspy) has no cables except the lonely one from the radio. We went to the now defunct Radio Shack and managed to make up a cable for him, ran it into the 5 pin from the back of the radio and branched it off to the rear so now the driver has a female 5 pin and the passenger has a female 5 pin. I would appreciate it though if any of you guys have the Honda part number for the proper cable. My 85 Aspy does not have the junction box as shown in the diagram but rather this very factory looking cable with the branched off section going to the rear and labelled A & B. Anyone else have this?? Thanks for any help...
Mark

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

Just a note, I do not have the factory CB on my bike, maybe this is why no junction box???
Thanks for the help!
Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.