Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I have a set of bluetooth wireless intercoms in our helmets which we had before the Goldwing. I'm just wondering what the differences are between these, and the wired intercom on the Wing?

The bluetoooth one we have allows us to either stay connected (which we do most of the time) or connect to a phone, mp3 player or gps. Each of us has our headset connected to our own separate phones. My wife uses her mp3 sometimes. Voice quality is pretty good. I get a bit of wind noise from her mike. I've ordered some hand/mirror wings to hopefully reduce that.

So what I'd like to know is - does the wired system have any advantages other than no batteries to charge? Is sound quality better? I realize I'd have to buy some gizmos to use it with a celll phone. It already has a MP3 plug in.

Thanks in advance.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It's a Sena SMH10. The volume seems pretty good. I've been fairly happy with them, although once in a while it does funny things and needs to be stopped and started. For instance it gets quite garbled once in a while.

Like I say, I'm not unhappy with what I have; I'm just wondering if the wired setup is in some way better.

Cheers,

Kerry

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I've not used bluetooth headsets either, but there are somethings that have kept me from going that way.

1. As you mentioned, battery charging. Most will only work for a maximum of 8 hours without being recharged. This is a problem if you travel any long days and more of an issue if you camp.

2. They don't integrate with the Wing's system so you can't use the CB, sound system or voice commands from some GPS's like my old Garmin 2720.

3. I haven't found any yet that are waterproof. I ride in the rain.

I have not checked out the Sena's yet though. Are they waterproof? What kind of battery life do you get out of them?

John

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Battery life varies quite a bit depending whether you keep the channel open to the passenger, or keep it off and only push the button when you want to talk, but we've had it going for about 9 hours. It is waterproof. I've ridden in the rain with it a few times now and it still works fine. I remember one of the reviews I read before buying said it was very waterproof.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I have both. I use a Scala Rider in my everyday helmet and we have J&M's in the Sunday go to meeting lids.
I prefer the bluetooth.

I can hear the radio fine with the bike speakers. I pick up my GPS and intercom through the Bluetooth and have no cords getting tangled. We just picked up a couple new helmets and will be fitting bluetooth in them.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Is there a device that one can attach to the bike's sound system to connect it via bluetooth? So that the bike radio could be heard on the bluetooth headset?

Kerry

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

edmKC wrote:
Is there a device that one can attach to the bike's sound system to connect it via bluetooth? So that the bike radio could be heard on the bluetooth headset?

Kerry
J&M has a bluetooth that connects the bike with their bluetooth headsets but don't know if it would work with others. I've not heard of anyone trying it.
1800 version
1500 version

Thanks for the info on the battery life and waterproof qualities of the Sena. Do you have a way to charge them on the bike?

John

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
J&M has a bluetooth that connects the bike with their bluetooth headsets but don't know if it would work with others. I've not heard of anyone trying it.
1800 version
1500 version

Thanks for the info on the battery life and waterproof qualities of the Sena. Do you have a way to charge them on the bike?

John
Yes, it comes with a car charger, and a USB charger cable. My old one has a round plug on the end that plugs into the device, but the new one is micro-USB.

I'll maybe email J&M and see if their 'dongle' works with other headsets, thanks.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

I've just started wondering about the new Starcom1 3wire bluetooth unit - http://www.starcom1.com.au/Wire3.htm but am hesitating as I still cant get their BTM02 phone bluetooth working

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.