Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1986 gl1200 Interstate,I like to know what the best head set is for 2 up and not using the system that is on the bike,I don't know if it even works, I have no head phones to try it, their are plug ins on frt and bk butno way to try them that I know of.this is my first wing so I don't know to much about them...but one thing I do know this site is AWSOME...for info..

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi scottmeier, and a warm welcome to the site.

As you will have realised from lokking round the site, 99% of us are only too happy to help where we can, so why not see if there si someone near your location and ask if they would mind plugging their headset into the female sockets already on your bike?

If this resulted in finding the system works, you could then simply purchace headsets that plug straight in. This would give you intercom and stereo at the touch of the existing buttons!!!:)

If you simply click on the state that you live in, in blue under your picture, that will throw up a list of members in your State and you may find some that live near you in Canton.

I would think that you will enjoy using the bikes own integrated system best if it works, they are pretty good.

Hope this may help, in getting you started on your quest.

:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yea, even the headsets used on a 1500 will work on the 86 system as they are all 5-pin hookups. I tested my 82 Clarion 1 system intercom using my brother's 1500 headset and it worked fine. Now I'm putting together a complete Clarion 2 system with cb for my 82. Don't care for the cassette so I don't need that or have collected it for the system.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site Scott. As already mentioned, unless you are looking for functionality not supplied by the factory system, you probably already have what you need other than the headsets. You can buy the low end J&M headsets for around $60 each. Have someone with a headset check your system and if it's working, get yourself some headsets and you'll be good to go.

If you are looking for more functions, I'll be glad to go over some options with you. :)

John

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

pete,john,michael....Thanks for your help guys,not much luck yet but still trying.
scott meier

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Why don't you go visit your local GWRRA chapter. I'm certain you will find someone there with headsets that can check your system for you. They meet on the 4th Sunday of the month. Here's their website.
http://www.il-chapter-z.org/
They may not have anyone riding to the meeting this time of year, but you can probably make arrangements to meet up one of them some place.

John

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey guys thanks for your help,I checked everyone around and no one had head sets.If their is anyone out there that would send me theirs that would be great, I know this is a lot to ask not knowing me and everything, but if we can think of a way to do this that you are comfortable with.I don't have that kind of money to give in a deposit so I need someone that has a trusting sole,I would pay shipping both ways and give you all the info you need.again I know its a lot to ask and I would not blame you if you didnt want to.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Darn it!! I am always a day late!!! I recently sent a headset to someone who I wish I hadn't let have it now, because he turned out to be not all he made out to be, I would have happily sent it to you mate!!!!!:(

Perhaps you might try going into your local dealer and asking to test the system by plugging in at least somedemonstration set they have?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I am in the process of switching the system on my 81 GL1100 over from a Clarion I to a Clarion II system also. I found out late that I probably had intercom on my Clarion I but just needed the splitter wire for the headsets.

I have since shopped around and wound up buying the J&M sets for my full face and my half helmet. I did wind up with an extra original Honda headset for a 3/4 helmet that I have listed currently on eBay starting at $19.99 + shipping. I live near St Louis so not too terribly far away.

The only thing wrong with it is the clip to fasten the plug to the side of the helmet is broken so the plug hangs down instead of tucking nicely alongside the helmet base.

Let me know if your interested. I always discount to the members of the Forum.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

rb7632 wrote:
I am in the process of switching the system on my 81 GL1100 over from a Clarion I to a Clarion II system also. I found out late that I probably had intercom on my Clarion I but just needed the splitter wire for the headsets.

I have since shopped around and wound up buying the J&M sets for my full face and my half helmet. I did wind up with an extra original Honda headset for a 3/4 helmet that I have listed currently on eBay starting at $19.99 + shipping. I live near St Louis so not too terribly far away.

The only thing wrong with it is the clip to fasten the plug to the side of the helmet is broken so the plug hangs down instead of tucking nicely alongside the helmet base.

Let me know if you're interested. I always discount to the members of the Forum.
J&M has replacement clamps on their website.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

I have found some people in Scott's area to help figure out if his factory intercom is working or not, through the local GWRRA chapter. I'm just waiting to get Scott's contact info to get them in touch with each other. :)

John

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well done John, once again proving the helpful friendship that exists on the site. :clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks anyway pete...I tried the dealers first off and they say they don't work on that part.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi scottmeier, I have an '84 interstate, and I'm going wireless (bluetooth) and save all the agro..?? with the ageing original system...maybe use it with a (bluetooth capable) CD/MP3/radio head unit to feed audio and 'phone directly into your headset??...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

scottmeier wrote:
Thanks anyway pete...I tried the dealers first off and they say they don't work on that part.
Well that was nice and hepful of them then!!!! not!!!!:stumped:

You would have thought that that being as they tend to sell headsets, they might be keen to demonstrate the product!! It isn't exactly rocket science for them to just go to the bike and just plug a set in, one would have thought the manufactureres might have even supplied a demo model.

Small wonder that the local shops are being out done by internet shopping, if they aren't prepared to use the one tool at their disposal to gain business, hands on trying things out!!!:baffled::(

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

could not have said it better myself pete,Thats what I was thinking too

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well, let's hope that Jluvs2dive, gets it sorted wih a friend to come and check out your intercom system before you part with your $$$$'s. :):clapper:

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Well, let's hope that Jluvs2dive, gets it sorted wih a friend to come and check out your intercom system before you part with your $$$$'s. :):clapper:
Should be in the works now, but just for clarification, they are not my friends, yet. I just contacted them through the GWRRA. Contrary to what some people think, there are lots of great and helpful people in that organization. :)

John

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

GWRRA is like most groups. You have some really great folks, some good folks, some not so good folks and some really lousy folks. It's up to you to sort them out.

:D

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I'm sorry guys I did not reply back to the forum that I found that my intercom systemworks.thanks to Jluvs2dive for getting me in touch with my local GWRRA members. It happen to be their is a member right here in town that came over with his intercom and tested it for me and it seems to work fine.

Thank You to all !!

Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.