Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I went on a ride today and I could hear her but she could not hear me. I discovered that one of the pins on her 5 pin headset cable had broken off and is still in the female connector on her helmet. Does anybody have a suggestion on the best way to remove the broken pin as I don't really want to replaceher headset.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Either tweezers or a magnet?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I've had that happen. There was just enough of the pin sticking out to get a tweezers onto and pull it out.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

On the older 5 pin helmet connection if you cannot remove the pin just carefully plug the new cord in and just push the broken pin in and it will drop to bottom of circuit board in clamp. I have done this to 100's of the Hondaline by J&M and the old HS-119 headsets.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I will try these tonight when I get home. If I push it thru and let it drop to the bottom of the circuit board is there a chance that it could short something out?
It looks like somebody has some cords for sale on the for sale forum I just need to contact him to find out if he has the one I need.
I probably need to buy two as this is the second time she has broken a pin. Of course if I do buy two she won't break anymore and I will have another cord to store.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

You will have no problem with the broken pin dropping down. All J&M headset cords in the last 15 years have small plastic tags on them with letters designating the model of the cord. Just match it and you will have the right one. I had mentioned in earlier post that J&M has discontinued the 2 piece cords, A,B,C and JA,JB. There are a few of the A,B, and C cords floating around.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well that didn't go very well. Magnet didn't work. It was broken off below the top of the plastic so tweezers didn't work. Took a small pin and couldn't wedge it out. Took a second small pin since I bent the first one trying to wedge out the pin and pushed it on thru as far as it would go. OK it looks like that worked so I took it up to the bike and pluged in my cord. Everything worked. Great unplug the helmet and took another look and there is another pin broken off in the helmet. At least I could wedge that one out. So now it looks like I need to order two cord sets and probably another headset since the one I have seems to like eating pins.
Oh well I still want to thank everybody who offered suggestions. They all sounded good and probably worked for others but I think I have a headset that likes to eat pins.
:yelling:
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Or you could get creative and bypass the pins hard wiring the cord to the helmet plug and gluing the jack into place.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

BT,DT..

I had the same thing happen to my Hondaline (by J&M) headsets. And yes, they both broke within a day or 2 of each other. Crummy design, bu tI'm told it was mandated by Honda.

I called J&M, and they said to send it back, they would see what they could do for me. Well, they replaced both cords, and did it at no charge, even though the headsets were way out of warranty, and not their brand. J&Ms are warranted longer than Hondaline, but these were out of J&M warranty also. over 2 years, maybe over 3 years old.

It's worth a call, since J&M service seems pretty customer oriented. Even if you buy new ones, it is well worth having a spare set around.. And now you know why...

=Dave=

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.