Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

Good info, but mostly recycled information.

I can't see where they would be able to "measure miles driven" by all motorcyclists. There isn't any data out there to be able to make that kind of judgment.

They state the obvious concerning "open air" and "helmet use", but the biggest problem is these newbies are buying a two wheeler and don't have the skills to ride them safely.

The scooter crowd I am willing to say are the ones who probably never rode a bike in their life.

The rest haven't been on a bike for decades and are dreaming of when they "were hot stuff" with their skill levels.

The MSF courses should be a requirement for new m/c endorsements. It would at least be a start.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

Love it when the government or insurance industry folk use "miles driven" vs accident or death rates to "prove" the dangers of motorcycle riding or non-helmet use. (I am not ant-helmet. I am anti nanny-state.) That data on accidents/deaths is easy to get, hospitals report that stuff to insurance compsnies and government. A problem comes with the miles driven part of the equation. The states report that, and some are just estimates, some do not report at all. For example, there has been no motorcycle miles reported in South Dakota. Now we know there are at leasta few bikes ridden in So. Dak. in August, but the statistics say 0, so that lowers the miles riddenand raisesaccident ratio nationwide. Also, many states include off-road dirt bikes and quads in the motorcycle accident/deaths statistics. Some states don't require them to be registered if they never see a road, skewing the numbers even more.

Mark Twain once said there are lies, dammed lies and statistics.

AAZgl1500 is right about the MSF course, and I would add motorcycle awareness training for new car drivers. Too much of the "safety" aspect is focused on safer crashing, when it should be accident avoidence and motorcycle awareness.

Off my soapbox now - that's my 2¢, andI'll take my penny change, please.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.