Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved this from pistol Pete,

Scott,

I can tell you that Honda began the sequence with GL1-1000001 and ended around GL1-1024500.

Also from what I can find out through reasonably good sources and my own personal deductions GL1-1000001 to GL1-1000011 were used to extreme test to find out what would break or wear for warranty considerations and accurate service manual printing. I also believe that some of these may have been sent to various road testing magazines for flat out hard testing. Each of these were disassembled by Honda technicians after the mags finished with them. Probably most or all of these 11 were destroyed or disassembled down to the frames.

Number GL1-1000012 to around GL1-1000045 plus or minus; were made by hand to establish how the production line was to be structured for quick assembly.
'001 thru 045 + - were pre-production units and all were made in December of 1974. I believe that all of the pre-pro's after 011 were sent to the USA or Europe to be used by Honda executives or field reps of those countries until their warranties ran out and then allowed to be sold to the public. Full line production for the GL1000 began about the middle of January 1975 with the next number.

Based on some research of my own, the color for most or all of these pre-pro's were Candy Blue Green.
I own one of these and it is B/Grn and the three others that I have heard of were also B/Grn. It also looks like all of the test mags bikes were B/Grn as well.

Thanks for the inquiry and let me know if this helps.

Pistol Pete

As a post script, please note that Honda never called the unit produced during that time as a 1975 GL1000 but just GL1000.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
Wow, I didn't know Pistol Pete Maravich was a Goldwinger! Also, that message from him must have been an old one too, or he was writing it from his grave, since he died in '88. Maybe that's why he had some inside information.:D

OK OK, I know it's a different Pistol Pete, but I like the first one a lot too. :cheesygrin: I enjoyed the bit of history on the first GL's, thanks.

John

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You so funny man :)
This pete does carbs
oldwings.com

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Wow, I didn't know Pistol Pete Maravich was a Goldwinger! Also, that message from him must have been an old one too, or he was writing it from his grave, since he died in '88. Maybe that's why he had some inside information.:D

OK OK, I know it's a different Pistol Pete, but I like the first one a lot too. :cheesygrin: I enjoyed the bit of history on the first GL's, thanks.

John
I just saw the movie on Pistol Pete just 3 weeks ago. Good stuff.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
I recieved this from pistol Pete,

Scott,

I can tell you that Honda began the sequence with GL1-1000001 and ended around GL1-1024500.

Also from what I can find out through reasonably good sources and my own personal deductions GL1-1000001 to GL1-1000011 were used to extreme test to find out what would break or wear for warranty considerations and accurate service manual printing. I also believe that some of these may have been sent to various road testing magazines for flat out hard testing. Each of these were disassembled by Honda technicians after the mags finished with them. Probably most or all of these 11 were destroyed or disassembled down to the frames.

Number GL1-1000012 to around GL1-1000045 plus or minus; were made by hand to establish how the production line was to be structured for quick assembly.
'001 thru 045 + - were pre-production units and all were made in December of 1974. I believe that all of the pre-pro's after 011 were sent to the USA or Europe to be used by Honda executives or field reps of those countries until their warranties ran out and then allowed to be sold to the public. Full line production for the GL1000 began about the middle of January 1975 with the next number.

Based on some research of my own, the color for most or all of these pre-pro's were Candy Blue Green.
I own one of these and it is B/Grn and the three others that I have heard of were also B/Grn. It also looks like all of the test mags bikes were B/Grn as well.

Thanks for the inquiry and let me know if this helps.

Pistol Pete

As a post script, please note that Honda never called the unit produced during that time as a 1975 GL1000 but just GL1000.
Working in the parts dept in '75 the first one we got was Blue/Green. The guys set it up and the service manager immediately set out to pull the front wheel up and dance it like the 750's he so well did, 2 hrs later he came to me saying he needed a new rear tire. And after all that, only got it up @2" max before the rear broke loose. We had fun watching him at least, the boss was cheering him on until he said he needed a tire.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep those 75's are scarey fast, but long and heavy on the nose.
If you crank the trottle on, you aren't in first gear very long, about the count of three.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
I just saw the movie on Pistol Pete just 3 weeks ago. Good stuff.
Unbelievable hoopster! My understanding is he still holds the NCAA Division 1 record with an average of 44.2 points per game, and that was before the 3-point line went in. They say his total Division 1 points of 3,667 are still the record too, and he couldn't play varsity as a freshman! :claps:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread after a brief hijack.... :D

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.