Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't have a thing at all against Harleys. I wouldn't mind owning one myself even.

Today I was in my van at an intersection on a rural road waiting for a group of motorcycles to turn in front of me onto the road that I was on. There were probably 7 or 8 bikes in the group. I am just sitting there looking at all the nice bikes thinking what a nice day it would be to ride. I give a hearty wave to each bike as they pass right in front of me. The first set of Harley riders dressed in full costume tried real hard to sneer and one guy that had one of those stupid skull face masks raised his fist at me because he apparently felt especially embarrassed because he cut too short and nearly clipped me. One guy riding a stupid looking homemade chopper did try to wave I think but he was so busy trying to get a decent turning radius that he didn't have time to wave so I won't count him in this.

Anyway the last guy in the group was wearing full protective gear and was riding a Goldwing. He looked like the odd man out in this group for sure. The funny thing is this guy waved and even gave a thumb up while taking the left turn easily with one hand......Hmmm.

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

I don't have anything against Harleys either, just wouldn't own one, they just ain't my thing. The owners however seem to be snobbish more often than not. Most of the groups of Harleys I meet on the road have a Goldwing following, support vehicle I suppose. Met a couple Saturday on a GL1800. We were standing beside the road getting pictures of fall leaves and an elk and a group of loud Harleys went by, the woman commented that they used to ride one until a friend let them ride his wing, she said "I am not getting back on that thing" (the Harley).

·
Just one of the guys
4,804 Posts
imported post

I sometimes end up playing tail end charlie to Harleys. It is not because I started out with that group. It is because I catch up to them on the twisties and am looking for a place to get around them. I often see other Goldwings beind a group like that and wonder if he is caught in the same situation.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Good point Doug. :thumbsup:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yes, Doug's right.

Numerous times I 've found myself at the rear of a pack of Harley's because they were travelling slower than I was, such as in Poudre Canyon, CO.this past summer.

What a rackett! :shock:

For most of them, it's all about looking/acting the part. :baffling:

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
I sometimes end up playing tail end charlie to Harleys. It is not because I started out with that group. It is because I catch up to them on the twisties and am looking for a place to get around them. I often see other Goldwings beind a group like that and wonder if he is caught in the same situation.
Exactly! THats happend to our Chapter during Wings Over the Smokies. We were on a ride and caught up to a couple of harleys. They struggled thru the twistys and when the reached a straight stretch the would dog it to try and get ahead. They finally turned off. We were not pushing them at all, but they were trying to leave us and couldnt.

With that said, Man there are some sweet Harleys around here, But I have a friend that I work with and he carries spare parts with his harley on every trip.....Really?

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Yeah been caught up to . They hate it when my 83 wing goes past um not even breaking a sweat and some try to keep up and you can see them struggling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.