Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Picked up the Oct copy of Motorcyclist magazine because it had the test/comparsion of the 2012 Wing and BMW K1600GTL. Of course you had one writer for the Wing the other for the BMW.

What caught my eye was that the Wing got beat on measured HP and Tourque.

Hp / RPM Tourque/ RPM's 1/4 mile

Wing 95.6/ 5300 104.2/ 4100 12.12 sec / 120.23mph

BMW 126.8 / 6800 109.6 / 510012.45sec / 105.88mph

Wing 1832cc

BMW1649cc

BMW has a few things in it favor, but alot of negatives too. I personally would not

buyone.

Good article, here's the link: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_1110_bmw_k1600gtl_vs_honda_gl1800_gold_wing/index.html

Enjoy,

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I can't quite make sense of the performance numbers. The BMW is 150 lbs lighter, has 130 more horsepower, 5 more ft/lbs of torque, yet it's 3/10 slower and 15 mph less in the 1/4 mile. Something doesn't add up there.

I haven't ridden one yet although I've talked with 2 folks that have. First person was a BMW salesman...talked to him twice and both times he let me know the K1600 will pull the front wheel off the ground in 2nd if the traction control is turned off.

Second person rides a BMW K1200LT. After testing the K1600, he said he wasn't convinced there was much to make him want to trade up. He said there was lots of power but the throttle was kind of jerky. I'm told BMW has sent out a new program for the fuel injection which smooths it out.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

BMW is getting serious about power lately, check out the SS100R.

But speed is not what a touring bike is all about, and there is where the Goldwing has the BMW all beat to crap. I myself do not like gadgets, but most Goldwing owners do, and the Goldwing comes out on top there. But where the GW really shines is it's size and comfort. BMW just can't seem to get over this "sport" thing, making it an uncomfortable long distance tourer. It could be more properly compared with the ST1300, FJR1300, or ZG1400. All bikes I have no interest in because of the low forward bars and the high rearset pegs.

The only recent BMWs that might interest me are the R1200C, and any GS series twin. I simply refuse to lean forward while riding. Very painful and very tiring.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

SCB, that was my thought. I was supprized to see that the Wing beet the Beemer by 30 sec. My only guess is the gearing is quite a bit different. I wonder what the roll on times at highway speeds look like. The BMW develops it's hp and torque at higher rpms but probably runs lower rpms at cruising speeds for economy.

JerryH, the KLT's seating position is pretty much neutral like the Wing. You don't lean forward on them like you do their RS series.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

In the article that stated that there was a tendency for the Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) to intervine during wide open throttle, clutch slipping launches that killed the 1/4 mile times.

The top gear roll on times 60-80 mph were

Wing: 5.42 sec

BMW: 3.95 sec.

The BMW has some punch to it, pretty sure it will beat the Wing in the 1/4 mile too, given the problems with the DTC are corrected.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle Consumer News did a heads up comparison. They gave the nod to the GL1800.

The BMW leans a little more towards the sport touring genre.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I do find the HP listed for the 2012 a bit confusing. In my manual for my 2004 it is listed as follows:

Power 118 hp (88 kW) @ 5500 rpm Torque 167 Nm (123.2 ft. lbs) @ 4000 rpm
Makes up for a bit of the 1/4 mile info though.....

Henry

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I seen a video on the BMW vs GoldWing vs Harley FLTCH vs Victory. The Victory has an electric windshield to move it up or down. That would be nice on the wing. The results stated that the BMW edged out the Victory overall. The Wing came in 3rd and Harley last. They were all surprised how fun the Victory was to ride. I just don't like the space age look of the new Victory Touring Bike.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I still think the numbers are wrong. The eta numbers for the BMW sound pretty close (12.45 @ 105.88 mph) but the Goldwing time is 12.12 @ 120.23 mph. My drag racing experience is admittedly limited but shouldn't a 120 mph pass be well into the 11s? I'm sure these riders are pros but if the numbers are correct I'd like to see the actual time sheets with reaction and 60' times.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Until there's a Steve Saunders BMW forum I'll stick with my Wing.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Their performance numbers came off a dyno which Ibelive are probably more

realistic than the manuel.

I guess what I am saying is that the good folks at Honda should not sit on their rear ends as others are always taking aim at the one who is on top. BMW is getting close

too and some would say better.

In really what only amounts to cosmetic changes to the '12 is not going to cut it down the rode if they want people to spend the bucks to change to a current model unless you have a bunch of miles on one and just want a new one.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Years ago, there was only one brand that competed against the wing. BMW... Yamaha's Venture was a flop. Harley's dresser never could compete before. Today, Harley has made some strides and has a much better riding bike, but still can't come close to the Wing, BMW or Victory Touring. Watch out for Victory. Here's a wing rider testing a Harley and a Victory.

http://youtu.be/XB1gtpKS2Wc

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

OK more to the point BMW is a nice bike no doubt. It is not a Wing however. Totally different animal. A Hyabusa will walk a BMW but again different animal. I testdrove the BMW because it was something to do and it was free. Very nice bike. I'd own one if I could afford a wing AND a BMW but otherwise wing'll be just fine thanks.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Before I bought my '06 I came across an article comparing the Ultra, LT, and Wing. The Wing's numbers were almost identical to the LT - 105HP, 111 ft-lbs and 12.20 in the quarter. LT had a tad better top end at 129 to the Wings 125. I test drove all three before buying. The LT was too tall and the 61hp Ultra was too slow so I got the Wing. I liked it so much I bought the old one to play around with. Dealer support for BMW isn't good either. There just aren't many.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

None of the areas that the BMWexcelled in, were important to me when I boughtmy Wing. Until other makers address this, the Wing will be unbeaten in the touring dept. By that time, the New Wing that is coming in a few years from nowwill again be far ahead of everybody else. Often in magazine comparisons the Wing is not even included in tests, because it is a forgone conclusion it will win. They end up comparing non Wings in the tour testing. I have a couple of magazines that represent this..........:?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.