·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Interesting comparisons between HD Touring & Goldwing + Victory.

I don't think I'm ready for the 'looks' of that Victory, though.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Well it was an enjoyable watch, like you I am not sure about bias, the seemed to spend more time on the vision than the hardley...

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I checked fleabay, and there are only two for sale. I believe that the MSRP is right up there with the GL1800. Funny or ironic, so is the Harley.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Bias?? Hell, It was a 10 minute Victory commercial!:X

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

What is funny is that one guy commented that the Goldwing (regular Daily Rider of the "tester") was a '95. I couldn't tell from the picture that went by - BUT he did admit that he keeps/maintains/rides his bikes for a long time...

Sooooo a 2008 Victory is better than some Harley and almost as good as a 1995 Technology Goldwing - well that about sells it!!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

The Victory Vision is really being pulled around here. I've seen a few of them at meets and rides with the "owners" handing out materials and willing to talk up a streak about them. One Vision owner called my 1200 a relic

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Before I bought my 08 wing I looked at Harley, Victory, and even BMW. BMW seemed to tiny. I do alot of two up with a trailer and didn't think the 1200 was up to par. There is an article in Rider Magazine about the 09 Ultra that says, the only time you will notice the lack of power is when you are two up - going up a hill, passing or pulling a trailer. The Victory Vision looks like a space ship. If you open the bags you will be disapointed at how much room they have.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Also the Victory Vision has air adjustable rear shocks, but you have to adjust it with a hand pump. Even my 89 had a built in compressor to adjust the rear shocks. Besides the suspension on my 08 is much better than the 89 and air shocks are a thing of the past in Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well, to be fair, the goldwinger did say that he'd consider the victory, but it didn't look like he'd be in a big hurry to switch. When the issue of made in america came up, Honda did it to themselves there. The 2010 will be made in Japan.

Victory did go with the belt drive, that did seem like a cheap solution, I don't know how well those hold up, and whether or not they are as smooth and trouble free and a drive shaft. Also it seems like there are some options just like on the goldwing. Still not clear on pricing. There were only two for sale on fleabay.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

I've never ridden either one of those bikes. So, can't compare what they are saying. But, I tend to believe that the guy being interviewed had been coached some to lean toward the Victory bike.

It would take me a long time to enjoy the look of the Victory bike. Too radical for me, but then maybe I am too old school.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I've had the privelege of riding almost every Victory motorcycle made. My brother-in-law is a Victory nut. He now has a Vision. I've put a handful of miles on it. It rides really well. Yes, the looks take a little to get used to. He has the silver/black one and had all the silver powdercoated black. Picture all the matte silver pieces on there black, matching the rest. It looks WAY better now. These pix are from the day when we were trying to get 500 miles in so he could get the stage 1 kit and 1st oil change in. I think for the money I'd rather have a NAV/ABS/Audio 1800, but its a nice bike. The 1800 has been around for 8+ years and ya'll STILL make fun of the headlights, lol. We are all such creatures of not liking change :D I'm just glad to see another long distance motorcycle option.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

My wife taking pictures at 65-70...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

and again...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

I came off myGL1200 that I had for two years just over a year ago for a Vic Vision. In all fairness I have never riden a GL1800 but had a GL1500 for about a month and ditched it for the Vision. There has been no looking back since that day.

On my GL1200 I had the seat cut to lowerit and cover in leather to make more comfortable and allow me to stay on it longer. Between fillups my body was pushing it. I went 1,600 miles to Texas as my last hoorah on the GL1200 and went 1,000 miles in 19 hours. On the Vision this past November I went 1,200 miles in 19 hours and could ride the full three hours before having to stop for fuel and my body wasn't even pushing it.

Again, in all fairness I never rode the GL1800, but the Vision is the perfect fit with the large floorboards, forward brake and clutch and low seat height. Hope to see ya'll on the road.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure I'm ready to be a "Caped Crusader" just yet. I liked the windsheild option and the 6 gear idea though.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

That bike looks like it was built by 6 different committees and none of them knew what the others were doing until production.:baffled::shock:

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

AHH...UMM........NO

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.