·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I have a tow pac brand on mine....and it is easy on and off also once you install it the first time. You can take it off and be back to two wheels in about 10-15 min. Wife likes it and she is going to learn to ride the 1500 with the tow pac on it. (maybe I will then get an 1800)

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Cycle Stuff is a dealer for TowPac. Tow Pac is from Aroma Park Illinois. They manufactor a very nice trike kit. I have one I bought direct from towpac on my wifes 1500. They installed it and we are very happy with it.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

:shock:no looky like no Trike to me:stumped:

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
I was browsing craigslist and came across this listing of a trike GL1100. Gotta love the easy on off of the kit.
RayJay,

You would think that those would be nice, but in actual use on the road, not reallythe best solution.

I have had two friends who put those on their bikes and they both reported the same problem. With that arrangment, you basically have three wheels on the back of the bike all on the same axis/plane trying to maintain contact with the ground all at the same time. That works if you are on a flat, even, road surface. It doesn't work well at all if you are on an uneven surface of any kind. You can actually find yourself with the rear wheel on the bike (the only drive wheel) losing contact with the ground or at least losing traction. Worst is going over any kind of ditch or crown in the road at an angle. You are bound to lose traction at least momentarily doing that.

They both eventually stopped using them. It's much better to have an actual trike with two drive wheels in the back. That, of course, is a much more expensive solution.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I rode 30,000 miles ona 1500 with a voyager kit. all over northern Arkansas and southern Missouri, some pretty good hills and twistys that will compare to most anywhere.

it is a decent option once you have it set up right and learn how to ride it. it definately takes some time to get used to and tolearn it's limitations.

I always thought that it handled quite well and was satified with it until after I rode a real trike.you definately can't compare it to a trike, it is a whole different animal.

but if your funds are limited and you need the extra wheels, the voyager or the tow pac is a good option.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

There is a company in Victoria BC that builds a kit that is very inexpensive. And they do not charge for crating. I have aVoyager on Baby & if I had know about this kit @ the time, I would have it on my bike now. The cost for this kit is less than the Voyager or Tow-pac. You have to supply the wheels & tires and a few small bits & pieces as well as paint.Here is the link & 2 links to 2 posts that 2 members have built this kit.:waving::action::action::action::action:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=122886&forum_id=6&msg=3

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=122886&forum_id=6&msg=3

http://www.triwing.com/components.htm

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I take it there is only braking on the center wheel at the back. Would it be possible to get the back tire in a dip and lose rear brakes.
The other thing is im shure that at least in saskatchewan where I live a trike has to have only 3 wheels. Contraptions with 4 wheel must meet auto regulations. Eliminating quad type atv from running on highway's
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I guess that since the motorcycle is still there you could just say that it is a funny lookin trailer.

if the kit is properlyset upthere is not much of a chance of losing contact with the rear wheel. it would have to be over a very deep hole. I never had a problem with braking or traction.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
I take it there is only braking on the center wheel at the back. Would it be possible to get the back tire in a dip and lose rear brakes.
The other thing is im shure that at least in saskatchewan where I live a trike has to have only 3 wheels. Contraptions with 4 wheel must meet auto regulations. Eliminating quad type atv from running on highway's
Wilf
No there is not. The way the Voyager's suspension is set up, the rear wheel never leaves the road. As to legalitys. Here in BC it is not concidered a trike. It is a m/c with add on equipment & in this case it is listed as handicap accesibility use.:waving::action::action:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.