Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I spent my lunch break yesterday at a local Honda dealership purchasing a throttle lock for my 1981 GL1100. While in there I noticed a early model goldwing for sale. It was a 1981 GL1100 Interstate that was very dirty, missing the cover that goes over the battery, faded saddlebags and trunk, rust on the exhaust and frame, rusty aftermarket floorboards, a few rips in the seat, kinda rough windshield, fairing was in decent condition but age was obvious, dry rotted tire on rear but front was new as were the brakes (at least this is what I was told), cb antenna, and faded paint. Odometer read 20K something miles. When I asked if it ran good, I was told that it ran.......... it was sitting for about 9 months or something.

Overall I would rate this bike as a5-6 based on overall condition. I asked the sales representative for the price and he said that I could have it for $2995.00 not including taxes.

I wonder if anyone will actually pay that amount for it. Just thought it was interesting.

Regards

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I think that's out of line, don't you guys?

Here's what $2500 bought me. 1983 Interstate,32,000 on the clock, good paint, needed going through(brakes gummed up, new timing belts, waterpump and hoses)but was basically rideable right from the start.

Offer him a $1000 and walk away otherwise. You'll end up spending well more than the bike is worth even at this price.

If I'm mistaken, mea culpa.

Hobie

gettting ready to ride on this fine evening if my lovely wife will ever get home:bash::whip:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Try this. I hope it's larger. still haven't spent enough time trying to find the right size.

never mind bigger pic to follow.

Ho bee

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I'd rate that bike a "3" and wpould think twice about giving $1500 for it !

No telling what the internal part looks like?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Hello all,

I'm a new member. I just picked up my first wing, 1981gl 1000 a couple weeks ago. It is pretty much mint condition mechanically and physically. I paid 3500 for it and people ask me if it's brand new. I had to search for this gem but they are still out there many on ebay, thats where mine came from. Ive been reading this great forum just in case I get myself in a bind trying to repair something. So far the bike needs nothing though and it's a great ride!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the 'Net dentedsatelite!:waving::waving:

Wow! you need to go to the 'What's in a name?' topic and tell us about that one!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Ok, How about a 1200 story??I bought my nice clean 1986 GL1200 with Moettzler tires and 56,000 miles in February, 2004, for $1500. Some one traded it in on a truck at a Honda car dealership, and they considered it a piece of junk................JP

PS: They also started at $2995......

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

I paid $1800 for my '83 dressed out with enough chrome to make it look like a tractor trailer, been taking chrome off ever since. It had 32k miles when I bought it and was in good condition, ready for riding. That price sounds way out of line.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Too high, sold an 86 SEI for $3800 and it needed nothing but a new rider.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Yes, Wolfe, $3,000 is too much. Two years ago I paid $3,900 Canadian for my '83 Interstate in very good condition.

Gilbert

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

Paid $3600.00 for my 84 Aspecade with matching helmets and trailer. Had 30,000 miles on the odo. Me thinks they are nuttier than a fruitcake. imho

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Dentedsatelite:

Welcome to the board. Ha Ha Redwing, Gotcha:goofygrin:

Hobie

I'll be back in just a second.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetingsdentedsatelite.

Glad to have you discover the best Goldwing site on the planet:clapper::clapper:.

A couple of questions to help us know a little more about your new 'Wing: How many miles on your bike? Do you have any maintenance logs from the previous owner(s)? Other things you need to know are: When were the timing belts changed last? Oil change? How old are the tires, even though they might have tread left(tires break down and become unreliable after time)? Plus many other things that if taken care of now might save you money and even some of your skin/life down the road.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to be Mr. Smart Guy On The Board. We all want to keep each other safe and as worry free.

Feel free to start a new thread anytime. Nice people, this lot.:waving::cooler:

Sorry for hijacking the thread.;) I give up what Mana I have.:whip::crying:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I thought that price was crazy. I bought my 81 GL1100 standard with windjammer fairing and Krauser bags for $800. It was cosmetically mint but needed the carbs rebuilt, starter, battery, tires, and brakes rebuilt. Also, I sold the Krauser bags on ebay and replaced with Interstate bags - which I refinished myself.

Overall I put about $600 in it - doing all of the work myself.

My thoughts were that that bike should be going for about $1000-1200 tops.

JM Wolfe

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Saorise cost me $2000.00. A local dealer had a 1986 Interstate with far higher mileage, considerably worse condition and rough running for $3600.00 at the same time. I have replaced a few incidentals on Saorise, but total is less than $200.00 and that Interstate would have needed far more.

I would say shop around some more, the dealer is optimistic, very optimistic.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I thought that price was crazy. I bought my 81 GL1100 standard with windjammer fairing and Krauser bags for $800. It was cosmetically mint but needed the carbs rebuilt, starter, battery, tires, and brakes rebuilt. Also, I sold the Krauser bags on ebay and replaced with Interstate bags - which I refinished myself.

Forgot to mention that I also needed to replace the waterpump o-rings......

JM Wolfe

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

well even if i am having some trouble with mine... think i got it figured out i hope.. but here is what 1200 buck bought me... 81 1100 interstate 66 k on it... pretty clean and in good shape...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.