Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The battery shows 13.37, under load 10.8, the connections are clean and tight at the battery, relay and starter.

The problems comes and goes..when it happens I get nothing no click from the relay , my headlight does go out as it should, my neutral light is on and the bike does roll with the clutch lever out, so it is in neutral..sometimes if I pull the clutch lever in it will turn over like it should, sometimes that doesn't help.

When it happens I try jiggling the clutch safe wires, shifting in and out of gear no help there. I have taken the clutch side switch apart and cleaned it out a bit it all "looks" OK..so I am stumped.

What I was wondered was 1st-- what else to check and secondly if I pull the clutch safe wires off the switch and jump them together will that disable the safety/fool it...or do I have to ground one side and power the other?? I am trying to eliminate that(clutch safety circuit) as the issue or ID it as the problem.

The next time it happens I want to disable the circuit..close it or open it whichever allow the bike to start( W/o touching anything else to see if that in fact is the problem.)..I just am not sure how to do that.

So how do I disable the clutch safety circuit??? Gee I took a long time to get that out.:(

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Ssounds like you may have a relay going bad, or a fuse about to blow.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have a blade use on the main and it's looks clean, the relay maybe..but still how does one disable the clutch safety circuit ..if I do that and touch nothing that would eliminate it or ID it..right!

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
imported post

If the neutral light is on there should be no need to disable the clutch switch but if you want to just jump the wires together.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Davo that's what I thought but didn't want to burn anything by mistake.

It's not sticking brushes..there is not click at the relay..so it's electrical before the relay..starter switch?; neutral safety; bad ground or bad connection to relay from starter switch. I just want to eliminate things and it's hard to figure it out as it only happens 1 out of 50 starts..and I never know if what I touch fixes it temporarily or something else just happens to drop into place while I'm fooling with whatever I am trying. I want to move as little else as possible the next time and just eliminate one thing at a time.

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
imported post

That's the right way to go about it but I imagine it will either be the switch or the solenoid. Intermittent problems can be a real bother.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

How about the contacts of the stater button in the right handlbar controls? Don't see anybody mentioning that.

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
imported post

See the word "switch" in the post above yours?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

My old bike would do that same thing occasionally. Push the start button and nothing. Rap the starter relay/solonoid and then it would start. I took the thing apart and found a lot of corrosion. After cleaning it up inside it never did it again....

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

You are off to a good start by trying to solve this logically. Pat yourself on the back for that!!!

First, the fact that the starter button causes the headlight to go out is good, but doesn't necessarily mean that the switch is good. That switch is actually 2 switches that share one button. One switch kills the headlight and the other provides power to the starter motor circuit. So it is possible that the headlight goes out as it should, but the other side of the switch could be toast.

The fact that the neutral light works properly only tells half of the story. The electric current still has to travel from the neutral light, through a diode, on its journey to the starter interlock circuit. So if the diode is burned out, the neutral switch will have no effect on the starter motor, but the neutral light will still work as it should.

The first thing to check is the clutch switch, because it is the easiest. You are on the right track---jumper those 2 wires together and try to start it. (Make sure it is in neutral of course). If this "fixes" the problem, then it means your clutch switch is no good. It also means that the neutral diode is also no good.

It terms of probability, here are the most likely things to cause this problem:

1. Starter button (because it takes a beating)

2. A bad connection somewhere

3. Starter relay (solenoid)

4. Neutral switch/clutch interlock

To be continued.......

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Now I just have to wait for it to happen again...

Thanks all for the ideas.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

I had same problem on my 82 1100 Found that the clutch safety switch was intermittent. If you look on the back of your clutch handle you will see two wires the next time it happens use a jumper between the two it will conferm the problem. then replace or try cleaning the clutch stwitch

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Ok, It's been awhile but I think I found my problem..tried all the suggestions above and they didn't help so I whacked the relay and that fixed it..so I guess my relay is sticking open even when current is applied..I have a spare and will put it on when I get the time or get fed up with it sticking..been over a week since the last time so not too bad..

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mine does the same exact thing. Press the starter button, nothing happens for about a second, sometimes two. Once the bike warms up the time shrinks, but still not immediate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.