Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Mileage 83,000. I have owned this bike nearly tens years and driven it 6,000 miles. Every so often there is lifter type noise on the right side only. Sort of sounds like a locus chatter -- it starts off softly, then gets louder, hangs for a maybe a minute or less, and then fades away to quite. It happens when the engine is cold or warm,at any rpm range up to about 70 miles an hour. Yesterday, I left the house going 25 mph, before I travels ¼ mile the noise came and went, then two more times in the ride. Changing the rpm often will cause it to stop, but it may occur again shortly after when the rpm is steady. It seems to start when the rpm is steady or the engine is not under much load. Usually at lower to medium rpm, but also happens a 60 miles per hour or more too. This noise usually occurs two or three times in a fifteen miles drive. The engine performance remains good. If I shake up the engine pace, it can be stopped. The frequency of the noise always seems to be the same even when the rpm is different, but it seems hard to tell. I use Mobil One.

The person that sold me the bike said it was always there and mentioned there was a recall or bulletin for the lifters on that year. A Honda mechanic said there was a bullitten (maybe) that a washer of some sortmay rotate on the cam shaft and that may be the source of the noise. I have never seen the valve train so I don’t know what he was referring to.

This bike is not ridden daily, is parked on the side stand, meaning the right side is raised up. I thought maybe that side goes dry quicker and deposits may have formed of the valve train, but what if anything is sticking or is it a stickylifter.

I have added Marvel Mystery additive to the gas tank only for several tanks and it did improve the rough idle and low end sputtering to almost nothing. It start up rough and needs full choke, but warms and idles almost completely smooth. Still has something off a bit, but is satidfactory for milage and age. It has always run well at 30mph and up. Will easily red line smoothly.

This is no big deal and I will continue to live with it since it has so many miles behind it and nothing has gotten worse. I am more curious than worried.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

thats happened to me only once, i changed the oil and cured it, mmo works well in your you oil, drain about a quart of oil out and add a quart of mmo, run it for a few miles, i ran mine for a hundred miles or just over, drained it out and put in fresh oil and a filter

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

A 2nd alternative would be to give it a Sea Foam treatment to help dissolve the varnish a tad bit quicker than MMO.

Either one will do the trick.

The MMO I would leave in for a good long while. The Sea Foam about 200 miles or so.

Which ever one you use, be sure and change oil and filter.

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

AZgl1500 & Redneck, thanks for the advice. I just read about the Sea Foam earlier and may try it out. MMO, I don’t know of it, but will certainly check it out. Since I am not a chemist, I prefer to stay away from mixing chemicals, unless someone can recommend them as useful. Next oil change, something to dissolve varnish will certainly be added.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

My 12 used to do that, quite alarming, but never seemed to cause any problems. Quite common apparently.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

thats exhaust noise, not lifter noise. Put it on the main stand, heat it up and run it in gear, listen to the headers. Then notice the head pipes are rusted from overheating.

The tapping is combustion out the exhaust valves.

That valvetrain is fully hydraulic with a good 1/2 inch of travel, they dont make noise.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

TeamGeek6 wrote:
thats exhaust noise, not lifter noise. Put it on the main stand, heat it up and run it in gear, listen to the headers. Then notice the head pipes are rusted from overheating.

The tapping is combustion out the exhaust valves.

That valvetrain is fully hydraulic with a good 1/2 inch of travel, they dont make noise.
i think there will be one or two people contradicting your comment, they do make a noise if there is air in the system, if it was his exhaust gasket leaking it would make a ticking sound all the time

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

These comments about exhaust noise are interesting and I will explore. I also though maybe the oil passages in the lifters are getting narrow from deposits over the years. Thank you all for your comments and optinions.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my 87 Aspy, I bought new 'valve adjusters' , installed them and it made the same noise. I went through all the trouble shooting, it wasnt exhaust noise, it was the valve train. These arent hydraulic liftes like in most american autos, they work to take up slack in a differant way. I had mine apart many times to no avail, I just rode it and ignored it for another 60k miles until it found a new home. There are ways of shimming it, but I measured it via the FSM and was well withing spec, I was also told I had an oil passage clogged up, nope, clear and clean. Ride it, you can't kill it with an atom bomb.....
cheers,
Kevo

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I have never heard of Sea Foam, Where do yoou guys but this stuff, Napa?? I would like to run this stuff through my 86 machine.

Thanks

Snowman

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

wally world i think is the favoure place for mmo( marvel mystery oil ), seafoam i'm not sure off, you cant buy any of those brands here, but i have my stock in,

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

My 85 1200 does everytime I start it up cold. It runs a few seconds, begins what is clearly a valve lifter ticking noise, then goes away. I could set a clock by it. To me, it kinda gives it character!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

You can usually get Sea Foam at Autozone or Advance Auto parts and probably O'Reilly Auto parts.
I put it in the gas in my 85 Aspy that had been sitting for 2 years and still haven't had to do anything to the carbs...haven't tried it in my oil yet...but I am almost due and oil change so I might this time.
Cerfer

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

I've used the homemade seafoam in both my gas and oil. I noticed a difference. Has anyone tried both and compared the two?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

redneck wrote:
wally world i think is the favoure place for mmo( marvel mystery oil ), seafoam i'm not sure off, you cant buy any of those brands here, but i have my stock in,
My local wally world still has it for $6.44 a can

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

It is a mixture of lantern fuel and alcohol with an optional addition of a light oil. The recipe is on this board. the main benefit is a 9 buck per gallon price compared to 7 bucks per pint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.