Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a daily check on how the speed is for me....
Supposedly, I am on a special premium purchase "unthrottled" data plan that assures me that I will get maximum speed even if the local internet community off of the Cell Tower I am using is getting maxed out.

SpeedOf.me is the best overall test that I have seen in my experience.....
it shows you a graph of the results.... on this particular test, at first, I was getting over 18Mbps down, and 40Mbps up, but that did not last long.

·
Administrator
24,645 Posts
My upload is pretty sad.
speed.jpg

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yucky. Comcast isn't a whole lot better in the upload dept, although I usually get 175Mb download (only 110 this morning, cable must be congested) but upload is capped at 6Mb.

CenturyLink has been stringing Gigabit Fiber around my neighborhood though, but it is still dark. They expect to put some light in it in the next few months. Might see me jumping ship from Comcast for the promised 960Mb Download /960Mb Upload for $65/mo (modem included) deal they are pushing around here. That'd be awesome.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sigh!
I don't think that we will ever see an inch of Fiber around here...
Rural folks are left in the dark, even though there is talk of bringing the 'net to us just like everyone else.
I had to throw AT&T's DSL out with the dish water, that crap depends on copper wire and is limited to 20,000 feet from the Central Office.... and it gets worse fast as you get further away from town.

So, I am using the cell towers now... last night, I checked it around 3 a.m. and got 21 dn and 18 up but did not take a picture of it. There is a special LTE modem that I could buy for $350-$500 bux that is supposed to aggregate 4 channels at once, to give me upwards of 80 Mb down and something better up...

that is a lot of money for me.... think I will hold off a while.

·
Registered
588 Posts
21/18 is not too shabby for a cell tower tether setup, for many uses (besides 4k streaming) would be more than sufficient, though I bet your daytime speeds are nowhere near that.

I'd be happy with my speeds except the 6Mb upload tends to strangle things when I'm working remote from the office, need more upload bandwidth with the company VPN...

·
Magic Moderator
4,333 Posts
Mine is really bad again tonight, the signal comes from Dallas Texas and I guess any atmospheric conditions may be affecting the speed.
Is it just my computer or is John's avatar missing?

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is really bad again tonight, the signal comes from Dallas Texas and I guess any atmospheric conditions may be affecting the speed.
Is it just my computer or is John's avatar missing?
at 2120 tonight, my avatar is still there

·
Magic Moderator
4,333 Posts
Then its my slow @$$ internet creating the problems, the avatar is trying to appear. Its so bad that I cannot get the speed test to work.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got an email yesterday, talking about how AT&T was having major outages all over the central and southern states.... should have saved the map, but don't matter.
For me, it started about 0130ish and just shut the computer off, and picked up a book to read.

fell asleep of course, and around 0930ish I awoke to see the new dawn peeking over the clouds... dreary weather, but the internet had decided to come home again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts