Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I downloaded an app called Hi-Def Radio onto my IPhone and run a direct cord from the earphone speakers into a jack that I soldered into my radio. I can't remember where I saw those instructions on the net but it was fairly easy to do. Now I have unlimited music on my bike that is fully customizable by genre etc. This is way better than the XM radio in my truck. For example there are probably 100 blues stations to choose from and literally thousands of other genres. Way Cool!:applause: The big plus is that the music plays in my headsets and works with all of the muting and auto volume features on the bike. I highly recommend this setup!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Wow. Just installed it and I'm listening to Classic Country. Sound quality is superb. Think my mp3 player is going to be collecting dust.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

poolguy wrote:
I downloaded an app called Hi-Def Radio onto my IPhone and run a direct cord from the earphone speakers into a jack that I soldered into my radio. I can't remember where I saw those instructions on the net but it was fairly easy to do. Now I have unlimited music on my bike that is fully customizable by genre etc. This is way better than the XM radio in my truck. For example there are probably 100 blues stations to choose from and literally thousands of other genres. Way Cool!:applause: The big plus is that the music plays in my headsets and works with all of the muting and auto volume features on the bike. I highly recommend this setup!
Do you happen to know of an equal to this one for the Android systems. There are just too many apps that are Apple based only & won't work with anybody elses outfits & this is one of the reasons that I hate apple. I had Itunes on my laptop & was enjoying listening to about 500 tune until I went to try & export them to a SD card for my cell. Would not upload. Had to buy a program that would conver these Itunes to MP3. Why do we always have these types of compititions? VHS vs Beta, DVD vs BluRay, Apple vs MS, etc???????:lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

I use Pandora.

I like it because I can set up my account on the laptop then log in from the browser on my smartphone and have my music ready to go. Seting up the account and building stations is not real easy on the small screen so doing all that on the PC makes it a lot easier.

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
imported post

poolguy wrote:
How much data do you use up in an hour?

curious on the usage.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I just downloaded it and it’s an excellent app. Thanks. I’m going to install a direct wired inline FM modulator into the antenna cable now.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Of course... you realize all this works ONLY within the reach of your own, or a coordinating service provider...

Once you turn south from Marathon, Texas along US 385... cell service pretty much ends... with ANY provider. And then, once you take to wandering the long lonely roads along the borderlands through west Texas, New Mexico and Arizona... all this "really cool" technology pretty much becomes useless.

Fact is... beyond certain points, if you have contact at all, you might actually be charged for it... by the minute... this can clock up to a pretty serious bill. Be careful...

I like "on board" sound... it is not subject to "coverage" issues. Come on... think about it... I can stack months worth of playlists into a chip the size of a finger nail.

While on board connectivity is awfully cool... is it really necessary?

Really?

Have we come to that?

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
imported post

US385SOUTH has a good point, once you are beyond range of a service provider it is useless, even in range if you do not have an unlimited data plan it can add up to some serious cash. I use Pandora in my truck, through my HTC EVO phone, but I have an unlimited data plan. Pandora (free/android) also has Bluetooth which allows it to broadcast to my trucks audio system wireless, a neat feature. It tends to be resource intensive, that is it uses a lot of battery power and is best used with the phone plugged in to a lighter socket. On the bike I use a trunk mounted Ipod.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

kennyd wrote:
Fysty, check for iHeart Radio or Pandora
Thanks Ken & Paul. I will check out Pandora. It seems to me by name only that iHeart Radio is only for iPhone or iPad only. Again!:D

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I have a program called oldtime radio.. Lists 1000's of radio shows from the golden age of radio.. Like Fibber McGee, X-Minus 1... love it!!

·
Nobody
364 Posts

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

wilkoi wrote:
US385SOUTH has a good point, once you are beyond range of a service provider it is useless,

Actually.....

There is an app for that!!!! :ROFL:

No seriously I found a radio app that will work even when you don't have a signal. It's called Slacker (I only know about iphone not droid sorry) and one of the features is called "caching a station" What caching does is store a certain amount of music right on your phone that way when you are out of signal range it still plays. I use it at work all the time because my office is in the basement with lousy AM/FM or internet signal. You can cache up to 25 stations with the free version - I only have about 10 cached on mine. If you have an iphone, ipad, ot itouch you should check it out. Also do the caching when you are on a wireless internet hot spot - it will load up your cache much faster. Cost for using while on 3g etc is your responsibility to be aware of - I have unlimited so I never worry about it.

As to the comment earlier about hating apple because their apps only work on apple - that's kind of the point. One of the things I hate about droid is not every droid app will work on every model of a droid phone. It's one of the reasons I avoided droid. With the iphone I know the app will work on my phone - you don't always know that about droid. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

And just for the fun of it here are the apps I can be found using when I'm on a bike trip:
Maps (handy to quickly look up destinations and local roads)
The Weather Channel (take a peak at radar every so often)
Accuweather (just another way to check weather)
TeleNav - I purchased the pay version but free isn't bad for a phone/gps combo)
Mapquest (another decent gps app - I'm a paper map guy)
Slacker radio (see above)
GasBuddy (find local gas prices)
TripCost (helps to figure the cost of your trip for planning)
GoodRide (handy little app contains a riders check list, State laws like helmet, gas finder, weather, maps of great ride areas, roadside service and a ride mapper - it will map your route with times and miles as you ride it - handy to share your ride with friends stuck at home)

Those are my favorites and most used apps.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Great point on the usage. I'm not sure what plan I have, but I have 6 gigs of data I think per month allowance. I would love to be headed down to big bend from Marathon to be able to have a reception problem! LOL 99% of my driving is local so no worries there.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

kennyd wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
kennyd wrote:
Fysty, check for iHeart Radio or Pandora
Thanks Ken & Paul. I will check out Pandora. It seems to me by name only that iHeart Radio is only for iPhone or iPad only. Again!:D
Nope, in this case the "i" is for internet: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.clearchannel.iheartradio.controller&hl=en
WQhew! i am relieved but it is still out of the question for me as it "is not available in your phone's country." But thanks a bunch anyway. that is a problem with a lot of those kind of products is that they are only available in the USofA.:D:bow::bow::bow::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

What I find amazing is the sound quality. It absolutely blew me away. Are they all this good? MP3 stinks by comparison.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

i did some testing. My radio app uses approx. 50MB per hour as I reset my phone usage to zero and played the radio 1 hour and that's what I got. Hard rock may use more, not sure...!

Anyway, I have a 4GB data plan on my phone. So I would have to run the radio over 80 hours to go over my plan. I do use data for other things on the phone, but that gives me a rough idea of how much I could run the radio app without any problems. Your mileage may vary....

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

I have to admit that I was doubtful that the internet radio apps would work over G3, but I was truly surprised on the ride up to the Nantahala National Forest yesterday on how well it worked. Thanks for the heads up on this. Going to enjoy it today as we tour around looking at the waterfall, leaves and hikes.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

poolguy wrote:
I downloaded an app called Hi-Def Radio onto my IPhone and run a direct cord from the earphone speakers into a jack that I soldered into my radio.
Can you find those instructions for the Jack addition ??

I have an LTD and would love to do that.

I just ordered a FM transmitter but I suspect that just isn't going to do the trick. But internet radio is the up and coming music format and would like to be able to hook directly to the radio.

I also use RadioIO for web based music. Theres a free section and a couple of levels of being charged. I did the free for a couple of months and then went to the $12.99 package for a couple of months then went back to free as the charged service eliminates commercials but there was the free commercials arent that bad for the amount of time I listen to it. and there are plenty of choices in music or talk, including Bubba TLS.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
imported post

Tybme,
Thx for your app recommendation ...GoodRide is pretty cool.
Hal

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.