Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
58,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well,

We had our first genuine outage.

0700 this morning ViaSat disappeared.....

0800 my alarm clock went off, I wanted to watch the Rocket Launches to put up the new satellites.
0805 PC is on, no internet? huh?

checked the modem, and it is offline, the indicator is pink instead of blue ( good )

darn it, so I text my installer.... and waited..... finally he just replies with "outage"

well, gee son, I know that.

0945 it comes back.....

so why did it go away? Satellite problem? hard to fix that up in the sky 28,000 miles above us.
an uplink issue? easier to fix, but still, no word to us, the users.

overall, it has been so much better than AT&T, I'm not concerned about it.

speeds are 5-10 times faster than AT&T, varies thru the day.

but, mostly it is good.

·
Administrator
58,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
We are at about six weeks now using the Satellite for our internet.

we went over the Data Cap of 35gB by 9.8gB but it didn't seem to effect our access to the internet at normal speeds for Facebook and our forums that we use.

They claim that those of use who use the internet from midnight to 5 a.m. can have full speed even if over the Data Cap.... so far, I can't tell the difference.

This month is going to be different though, I am really going to be curious to see how we are treated this month, as we are at 19.5gB already in just 6 days.... that 35gB Priority Data before being throttled back is a magic number.

they use some sort of algorithm to determine if you should be throttled.
If you are a heavy TV viewer or watch NetFlix during prime time, they say that will get you throttled back.

but, if you avoid the prime time hours for watching videos, you can go over the limit and not be restricted.

I have my YouTube video settings at 240p and Cyndi's Kindle is on NetFlix almost every night at 360p...

I woke up at 0330 and have been reading the Facebook stuff since then, and watching quite a few YouTube videos.. it is 0700 now, and I'm ready for a nap.... :)

bye bye

·
Magic Moderator
4,492 Posts
Thank you Dennis.
I'm also in the process of moving into a larger apartment. TDS installed the internet and phone service earlier today and it works great. I've been shuttling stuff over since 9:00am and I quit at 5:00pm to catch up on bills and the forum. I'm in the old apartment for the night and will move the rest tomorrow, don't have much to move.

·
Administrator
58,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I got internet and it ain't third world, fast as can be.
That's great Val.....

in today's world, the Internet is something that should be available to anyone, no matter where they live....

but the Real World imposes some harsh realities in being able to get access.

Wide Open expanses of no human presence except for an isolated house or two, makes it financially impossible to provide cable...

so, that leaves Cellular service if available, or the Satellite that I am using.

I just found out that there is a company called OliveIP that can provide unlimited service at speeds up to 50Mbps.... this is dependent on which carrier, and how strong the tower signal is to your location.

www.OliveIP.com

Wish I had known of them before I signed on for ViaSat.... it would have been much better for me.

·
Magic Moderator
4,492 Posts
The only problem here is the active truck route behind the apartments, I think if I were out in the country it would be great or maybe an area with no heavily traveled road. It seems like a better option than a phone hot spot.

·
Administrator
58,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The only problem here is the active truck route behind the apartments, I think if I were out in the country it would be great or maybe an area with no heavily traveled road. It seems like a better option than a phone hot spot.

Get a jack, and raise your apartment up above the trucks >:)

·
Magic Moderator
4,492 Posts
Having real internet service is like having air conditioning in Florida, you need it.
I'm taking a break from cleaning today and testing the Dell E6320 with Peppermint9. It's working great.
Happy to see that John is back on and they straighten out the mess.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts