Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
898 Posts
imported post

I agree that it's an economic problem for Harley.

As much as I would love to have a new Goldwing or large V twin, Harley included, I can't afford one.

I'm driving an 18 year old Wing and a 12 year old Ford F-150 that I will drive to the wheels fall off(truck that is!) due to the fact I can't afford a new truck either!
 

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
Joined
·
3,828 Posts
imported post

Very interesting. Where is Obama with the bailout.
 

·
Pops
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
imported post

I think it might take awhile, but they will come back.
They just need to forget how the good old days were and focus on th future.

Yes I own a Harley and a GW. Oops, I'm sorry two GWs. :action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
658 Posts
imported post

I think new sales in most major purchase catagories are sagging badly in this economy. I'm in the RV business and we cannot keep cheap used campers on the lot. However, new is a tough sell right now. People are afraid to spend and banks are not "all that" when it comes to lending. A lot of weak manufactures will not be there when the smoke clears.
Things will turn around. People will be buying new Harleys and new Goldwings again. They will survive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

My point is I wish I had a Harley, I'd trade it in on a 1500 or 1800 Goldwing. lol
Harley's are pretty bikes, but not my cup of tea.

Obama will bail'em out like GM and Chrysler and like the government did in 1983-1985. Remember the foreign bikes getting tarrifs placed on them in order to move more Harley's?
Ride what you like, I'll take my old rice burning jap crap anyday. I'd ride my old rice burner to hell and back,its that dependable.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
imported post

I don't consider your bike or my Goldwing "jap crap". My taste in motorcycles tends to lean towards the eclectic. I appreciate almost all types of motorcycles. The truth is, a large portion of pre-owned older Goldwings were initially purchased because the Harley touring bikes are cost prohibitive to many riders. It was only then that many people came to appreciate the virtues of the Goldwing. So in a sense the success of the Goldwing can be partly credited to the Harley Davidson because those same riders eventually upgrade to new Hondas instead of Harley's when its economically feasible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
672 Posts
imported post

Harley’s sales have gone crazy now for many years. Remember when the Harley craze first took off there as a 2 year waiting list to get one. You have to wonder if at some point they will saturate the market.

The other thing that can hurt Harley is the Japanese knock offs. These bikes are just as good, or better, but much cheaper. Of coarse, they don’t have “Harley Davidson” written on them.

One thing Harley has going for them is there is still a strong market for their over priced costumes.



If I had the money I would have a brand new red Heritage Softtail sitting next to my Goldwing. No costume.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
690 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
Harley’s sales have gone crazy now for many years. Remember when the Harley craze first took off there as a 2 year waiting list to get one. You have to wonder if at some point they will saturate the market.

The other thing that can hurt Harley is the Japanese knock offs. These bikes are just as good, or better, but much cheaper. Of coarse, they don’t have “Harley Davidson” written on them.

One thing Harley has going for them is there is still a strong market for their over priced costumes.



If I had the money I would have a brand new red Heritage Softtail sitting next to my Goldwing. No costume.
I agree completly! I too want to have a Harley as a second bike. I like the CrossBones, but would add a tubless rim-tire in the back and perhaps embelish the lighting a bit. It would be fun to have a HD to knock around with from time to time. But one thing for sure........ I would keep the stock exhaust. I don't need the ultra loud pipes because I"DON'T" have to compensate for having little...........feet!:cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
imported post

I got a kick this past Sunday. I saw an older gentleman at a store, taking off all of his costume. He of course had the leather chaps, vest, bandanna, skull cap, shades, and the most important part of all, his ear plugs!!!!

I asked him how annoying those pipes actually are and his reply was "HUH??" I asked him why he had to wear ear plugs if the pipes weren't annoyingly loud and he told me he just liked the peace and quite they gave him................ I just laughed and walked away.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
I think new sales in most major purchase catagories are sagging badly in this economy. I'm in the RV business and we cannot keep cheap used campers on the lot. However, new is a tough sell right now. People are afraid to spend and banks are not "all that" when it comes to lending. A lot of weak manufactures will not be there when the smoke clears.
Things will turn around. People will be buying new Harleys and new Goldwings again. They will survive.
Yup...my wife and I were thinking a couple months ago that we should buy a cheap camper, either a pop-up or something small that wouldn't suck much gas pulling it around. Found lots on Craigslist - they were either filthy, in horrible shape, or (most often) already sold. They don't last long! We decided to give up on that idea for this year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
662 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
My point is I wish I had a Harley, I'd trade it in on a 1500 or 1800 Goldwing. lol
Harley's are pretty bikes, but not my cup of tea.

Obama will bail'em out like GM and Chrysler and like the government did in 1983-1985. Remember the foreign bikes getting tarrifs placed on them in order to move more Harley's?
Ride what you like, I'll take my old rice burning jap crap anyday. I'd ride my old rice burner to hell and back,its that dependable.
HERE WE GO AGAIN !!! AMEMBER BASHING OTHER MEMBERS HARLEY'S !

OK, oldtoys1961. I will ask again for JIMBO83 ... WHATS YOUR POINT ?

The answer you gave is crap! Not your Bike ... Could it be that you are jealous of others who have a Harley and a Goldwing ? Or didyou just want to offend other "FellowGoldwing owners and Steve Saunders Members" who also Own HARLEY DAVIDSONS ? Yes I am sure this was your Point ...
It's always a fewwho destroy it for all , And I have been getting really pissed off with the constant bashing of Harley by " A FEW " not all... I don't see anythingabout Victory's sales down 49%or any otherAsian or UKbrand salesthat are down . OH know... it's only HARLEY !Just like it's "ONLY HARLEY RIDERS "who don't wave... what a bunch of BS...

I respect any member who say's they can't afford a Harley or don't feel comfortable on a Harley, These are Financial and Riding Opinion's and are justified and understandable, But when you set out to cause controversy and anger fellow Members, Then thats where the line should be drawn. But it continues, WEXMAN say's "Follow Forum Rules" But will not stop the DisrespectingandBlatantly obvious attempt to start a fire storm with fellow members... I would like to ask my Fellow members to step in and condemn the bashing... On the grounds that your fellow members are getting offended notbecause you like Harleys...



Remember, Oldtoys1961 , Harley is American Owned and American Built by American Labor and no matter how you feel about Harley, You CAN NOT call yourself a " TRUE " AMERICAN if you put down an AMERICAN icon that started in 1903 ...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
662 Posts
imported post

dhrith wrote:
Decaf anyone? ;p
WOW ! So Original... I don't drink Coffee dhrith...



I am just tired of years of unbridled Harley bashing...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
imported post

I rented a Harley and then bought a Goldwing. All the same, it would be a shame if this company went under, though plenty have done so before. This ain't Kansas, Toto. (Did I get the quote right?)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

OK jk-1, then I'll give you in non-crap answer to the point.

Point is Harley's been hurting for years due to a self inflicted gunshot wound to the foot. They been on the decline before the economy tanked. Hence the marketing ploy: Buy American.(because if you don't then your not a patriot) YOu can bleed red/white/blue be a bad boy and get chicks if you buy a Harley, you can be elite and better than anyone else on any bike if you buy their bike. Their latest market strategy is the female riders, now building smaller and lower bikes(I do like that but there is many bikes that shorter people can fit already), since the public has become more aware that Harley is just a name in today's high profit,low cost new millennium market with extreme competition building more reliable,cost efficient and dependable, reliable and costing much less in the long run.
I have met several Harley riders disgusted with their service say they wish they'd bought a Goldwing. Surprising,NOT. Considering everything that goes on a Harley cost darn near twice what a Honda,Suzi,Kaw costs. And now with the economy in the crapper a non-economically maintained bike is not on the list. People are wanting low costs.Harley has darn near priced themselves out of business. Ever wonder why you see so many on ebay,craiglists, classifieds? People are finding out chicks don't jump on the back anymore at redlights just because they're on a Harley and they spent so much money trying to obtain that holy grail that it ain't what all the hype was made out to be. Heck, 2 years ago any crackhead or homeless person could buy a Harley with $99 down. Theres too many other bikes out there on showrooms twice as good for less and I don't need anybody telling me I'm not patriotic because I don't buy a Harley.

And if you run your VIN you'll probably find out like me your Goldwing was built by American laborers with jap parts in Marysville OH. So you get the best of both worlds.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
imported post

Ok oldtoys, I'll put in black and white for you. I have a Harley Davidson in my garage that will outrun, outlast, out brake, out handle, and outdo in any way, anything Honda has ever made (in a sport/cruiser). Its a VROD. Powerplant designed by Porsche, watercooled, and yes chicks will still jump on the back on almost any given weekend (even though thats not my cup of tea, I am married) The reason there are so many Harley's on craigs list and ebay is because a motorcycle is a luxury item to most people and the first thing they sacrifice, not a 40mpg vehicle driven by crumudgeonly old men to save money on gas (sound familiar?) Yes Americans workers were paid to build our Goldwings since the early 80's but the vast majority of profit went straight to Japan. I am not a flagwaver though so thats not a problem for me, I believe in competetition from abroad. It makes our products better. Don't forget Harley has the powerplant from the VROD at their disposal and could put in in an Ultra Classic at any time. If they do, you would have a Goldwing killer for sure. As far as Harley being overpriced, last time I checked a brand new Ultra was around 23k and I was just in a Honda showroom and a 2009 Goldwing was 24k. As I stated before, I love my Goldwing and I love my VROD. 2 machines that serve 2 completely different purposes. If you want to be an instigator and incite the passions of Goldwing riders that also appreciate a Harley, its your right but be prepared to be called out on it each and every time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
imported post

JIMBO83 wrote:
The truth is, a large portion of pre-owned older Goldwings were initially purchased because the Harley touring bikes are cost prohibitive to many riders. It was only then that many people came to appreciate the virtues of the Goldwing. So in a sense the success of the Goldwing can be partly credited to the Harley Davidson because those same riders eventually upgrade to new Hondas instead of Harley's when its economically feasible.
That's prettyweird. Most of the Harley crew I know - own Harleys because they are Harleys, and wouldn't be caught dead on aHonda - at any price. It's a V-twin thing, with chain-drive wallets, and black T-shirts with flaming skulls - and that's perfectly fine with me.



Most of theHonda riders I know, ride Hondas because of how welland smoothly they do their job, and how long they last. Money doesn't really enter into it. I know it never did with me. I'm just not V-twin guy, plain and simple.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

The $50 an hour wage to build a Harley not helping things either.Greed will slow the sales......
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top