Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone; My name is George, and I,m from Detroit Michigan,USA.I picked up a 1978 GL1000Gold Wing earlier this year and have just started to work on it so it will be ready for next spring. I have a couple of questions. I also have a 1983 GL1100 parts bike. What I need to know is will the 16 in. rear wheel off of the 83 bolt right up to the 78? If not can I change the whole drive unit? Also can I use a 16 in. front wheel off of an even later model. I want to run 16 in. front and rear. Last, will th 83 front endbolt up to the 78 neck? You have a really great site here, Keep up the good work. Thanks aheadfor any and all help,,George;:1000red::1000darkblue::1000red:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Some parts can be changed, some can't. Read the history site first it may answera lot of your questions.
[url]http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm[/url]

The reason I don't know if the wheels can be change is because mag wheels came on the 1100 but not the 1000.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome George. I have seen some GL1000s with wheels from the 1100 (off a pre 82 model), not sure if the differential had to be changed as well.
I got this from the FAQ page on this very site;

"Q. I've been told that some GL1100 parts are the same as those fitted to the GL1000. Is this true and if so how many parts are like this please?

[align=left]A. Yes, quite a few parts are interchangeable between the GL1100 & GL1000. The GL1200 in comparison uses very few bits from the parts bin. Some of the parts shared between the GL1000 & GL1100 are; Front & rear engine cover gaskets, valves & valve springs (up to 1981), valve seals, rocker cover gaskets & sealing washers, timing belts, timing belt cover gaskets, oil filter & drain plug, clutch springs, exhaust gaskets, ignition switch assembly (1978, serial no. 4104123 & up), starter motor brushes, starter clutch rollers, front & rear wheel bearings, front brake master cylinder & reservoir repair kits (up to 1981), front brake pads (78-81) front brake pads on the 75-77 GL1000 are the same as rear pads on 80-81 GL1100, brake lever 79-81, clutch lever 78-81, rear lamp unit lens 79-83. Heavy duty aftermarket replacement stators will fit either model as well. I've probably omitted plenty of other items, but you get the general idea."[/align]

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Here's a link to the procedure for swapping the 1100 swingarm/differential onto the 1000 frame: http://www.classicwingclub.org/frankspage/pdf/Swingarm.pdf. The author is Danish, i think, and his English is a little broken, but there are good diagrams. The benefit of this swap is to lengthen the wheelbase for greater stability when loaded (although it won't sharpen the steering any) and the 1100 had taller gearing, so your fuel range should improve (won't help off the line acceleration) and the best improvement is the dual piston rear brake caliper if you find a 82-83 part. The 78-79 GL1000's were the first to recieve the Comstar cast wheels. They were silver, the 1100's were black. In '83, the wheels were changed to 11 spoke mags. I think all the cast wheels on the 1000 and 1100's swap, but I may be wrong about that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.