Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[align=center][/align]
[align=center]We had the day off school today because the teachers were on strike. at 2 oclock a dhl man called to collect my dads iphone whichbroke and has to go in for an insurancerepair or replacement. [/align]
[align=center]before you read down, just think for a sec: [/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]what is the funniest and most embarrassing thing that can happen to your mobile/cell phone?......[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]you guessed it, DOWN THE TOILET!![/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]on Saturday my dad dropped his iphone down the toilet, €700 killed in a second. we were cleaning up the bathroom and the iphoneperformed a perfect hop, skip and fumbleonto the rim and slid around and down into the water.he grabbed it out quickly and gave it a fast rinse, shakeand dry and ran into the hot-press where we keep the towels. A coupleof hours later we took it out and it was burning hot![/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]we are not sure what killed this iphone, it really coulda been the initial bang, the drowning or the roasting. poor phone never stood a chance. the post-mortem form that went with the repair man just says 'stopped working'.[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]the funny thing is i have an iphone too and it has survived football, fights, funfairs and attemptedpickpockets andi am always told to be careful with it. if i dropped mine down the loo i would never hear an end to it. [/align]

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

HA HA HA that's funny...

I have a friend that almost monthly his wife kills a phone.......

I was talking to him in his office one day and his wife called to say that she did just the same thing, plop into the toilet.........

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

€700, ooouch! I once lost a Nokia on a fishing trip. Sitting in a boat and reeling in, next thing I see the Nokia glowing as it sank into the deep. Happens to the best and the worst of us.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Jason m wrote:
shouldn't tell on Dad like that.
Funny stuff like that needs to be shared. :D

If its confessional time, I will own up to dropping my Motorola into a bucket of water when I was washing my car. Motorolas don't swim too well either.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

I've lost one in the lake too. But, the worst I did was drop one into a crock pot full of chicken that had been slow cooking all day. Not a good thing! The sim card still worked though! I am still using the sim card 2 phones later.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Well at least I am not alone. I've never dropped, damaged or lost a phone before and I suppose I am paying in full now for all the good luck I've had with them.
My SIM card is still working in the loaner phone the shop gave me.

Somehow I think the repair estimate will read "uneconomical to repair" and it's probably a good thing, I mean would you want to keep a phone after it had been down the toilet? I am glad I bought the insurance just in case the warranty won't cover this "mishap".

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

I will admit that I dropped my previous phone in the same place just after it had been cleaned (luckily).
Rinsed it off good and put it in a bag with a cup of rice for a couple of days and it worked good after that.
I didn't have the insurance or the money for a new one, so was stuck with it.
I have since upgraded phones, but the old one still works fine.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I have a brother in law who has not once, not twice but three times dropped his cell into his coffee cup (his wife even bought him a nice mug with a lid to prevent it - he of course never remembers the cup.)

I myself have dropped my iPhone while doing about 70 mph down the highway. I did not realize it until I made it to my destination - a Patriot Guard ride. As I could not leave to look for it - it was truly lost - or so I thought. I went ahead and bought another (upgraded) model as I had a contract available and it was only $199 (yes only - iPhones can sell for well over $700)
Well about 2 days later a local county's Sheriff Office called me - they had found my phone. I picked it up and everything worked - except the screen - it was stuck white. I could hear it ring - I could hook it up to my pc and navigate around on the phone, retrieve my pictures etc. Everything but use the screen. Now many of you know an iPhone is a touch screen device so no screen, no good.
I decide I'd try and sell it on eBay - someone may want some parts from it. I did a great job describing the problems in the add - and even included a picture of the white screen. Low and behold 7 days later my broken iPhone sold for $240 + shipping. I made $40 profit on my broken phone over a new upgraded model! I never did find out why it was worth so much (again new these things sell for over $700) but I'm actually happy I dropped my phone! I even got a positive rating from the buyer - so he understood what he had bought.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

There is a strip inside of most phones that changes color when exposed to water. Water damage is not covered under most warranty coverage. Insurance will probably cover it. Your mileage may vary, and yes my phone has also been in the toilet. :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

When I was foreman in a gravel pit, I actually had the cell insurance company tell me that if I destroyed one more phone, they would cancel my insurance policy.

3 went into the lake. Try explaining to some 18 year old phone-bank kid who has no clue how the world is constructed, what materials are needed, or how they're obtained how you were unable to retrieve the phone because it's in 60ft of water, no, I wasn't fishing, I was working. Yes, I work on a 60ft deep lake. How do I know it's 60ft deep? Because the machine I operate makes it that deep. Why is there a machine that makes 60 ft deep lakes? Because we want the sand that's under the water. Yes...there is sand under the water.

1 plummeted 45ft from the top of the plant to the concrete slab the plant sat on (that one went off like a grenade)

1, I have no clue where it went, it just vanished.

The funniest one was the one that was run over by a 22.9 Metric Ton Cat 970F wheel loader.

Hot summer day, door and window open, blazing from one side of the pit to the other down an old, seldom used haul road, phone in my lunch box, lunch box in the little alcove on the right side of the cab just behind the door where it belongs.

I hit a fairly good sized hole, the lunch box bounced up, flipped over onto the floor, the lid popped open spilling the contents onto the floor, and the very last thing I saw was my phone.

Skittering across the floor, out the door, and over the front of the step/fender, and was under the rear wheel before I could even touch the brake pedal.

I have never found exactly how many PSI that machine puts on the ground, but I will say that I had a Motorola Star-Tac at the time, with the extended life battery, and that the phone landed on it's back, battery up, and that the top of the battery was pretty much level with the surface of the ground.

The rest of the phone was a shattered mess. Kinda' looked like I'd run it through a chipper...That was my 2nd phone that MONTH.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Absolutely hilarious!!! :cheeky1::cheeky1:

We have a ski patroller (18 yr. old girl) who dropped her phone in the toilet and was afraid to tell her mother. She tried to dry it out by burying it in the family rice canister.......where her mom found it one day while trying to fix dinner. Needless to say......none of that rice was consumed!!

:dude::dude::dude::action: :action:

Red :waving:

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
imported post

I don't have anything funny enough to top these stories. But I have had my share of lost, gurgled in a pond, fell out of pocket from radio tower to concrete (splat), and one that fell out of my hands face down and broke the hinge completely off. PHone would work, but no display.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Mike's story reminded me of a local farmer friend. His fell off while he was running his tractor. He of course ran over it. He found it when he heard it ringing. The battery had bent - but the dang phone went on to work for another 6 months.

·
Premium Member
4,633 Posts
imported post

Hi Dylan, My wife dropped her mobile phone whilst riding pillion behind me on the wing, we were doing 70mph on a motorway at the time (so no chance to stop and pick it up) She screamed so loud for me to stop I nearly dropped the wing as well :DSo now the phone is kept in the top box were she can't reach it.....Shame:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Big E wrote:
There is a strip inside of most phones that changes color when exposed to water. Water damage is not covered under most warranty coverage...
Yes the iphone has two of them and they should turn from white to red if the phone gets soaked. Mine stayed white and that leads me to think the drying out is what reallykilled it.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Captainbrian47 wrote:
Mike, I use one of these ever since I lost 2 overboard :waving:
If only those had been available 15 years ago when I was working in gravel pits...

Great idea though.

·
Just one of the guys
4,795 Posts
imported post

What is really needed is the waterproof floating bag made out of titanium.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Good news for me. Apple sent the "water-damaged, can't repair" report to the store where I bought the iphone and they gave me a new one courtesy of the insurance company.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.