Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I need your help. Santa left me an Ipod for Christmas and I want to hook it up to run through my audio system.

I know I have read on this forum somewhere how to do this but after 1 hour in the search window I am saying "uncle" to the search feature.

I have a 96 Aspy. and thought I had read that the system was already wired for aux audio devices in the left fairing pocket.

So I rushed to the garage with all the agility and cunning of a panther on the hunt, very deftly removed the left pocket and looked inside for the red blinking light with a sign "plug your new Ipod in here".

Imagine my disappointment and dismay when I discovered nooooo blinking red light and nooooo sign saying "plug your new Ipod in here":doh: :doh: :doh:

All I found were wires that I haven't the foggiest idea what they are for.

Its supposed to be riding weather here in southern Kansas tomorrow and I would like to be able to ride with my own custom music list. I know many of you have done this and its no big deal, so please help me out.

Thanking you all in advance :bowing:for the help.

Love the forum and keep on keepin on!

Dell

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

two easy ways cheap ways to plug ur ipod into the system.. first/easiest: cassete adapter. just put the cassete, push play. plug the cable from the cassete to the ipod and you're done!.

now this may annoy you in two weeks. so next easy thing to do.. FM modulator. you take off your seat, hook the fm modulator between your radio antena and the radio. wire the input to the left or rightpocket, and tune up your radio to the fm modulator station and its done. its hidden and no loss of quality.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
imported post

I've done the FM modulator and it works good as long as you don't have nearby FM stations competing with your desired signal.

Here in the Phoenix area, just about every FM channel has something "too close". It worked great after I got way out of town though.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

First question, does your radio have two RCA input connectors? If so I can walk you through it easily.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

OK, I'm guilty of jumping before completely reading. If those two wires you refered to are the RCA plugs, all you have to do is go to walmart, radio shack, any store with an electronic dept. ans pick up an adapter wire that will have the two matching adapters on one end and a mini plug at the other that will fit into your Ipod.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I can't answer that, its the standard factory radio that came on the bike. Where can I look to answer your question?

Thanks

Dell

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

seems like Richardrwg is not familiar with the 1500s, those come with a built in radio with no such rca connections or input plugs. besides the fm modulator, which is not the same as the fm transmiter (which is wireless and has less power) and the the cassete, your third, if you're good with electornics, there is a method to install an aux input signal jack into the radio, heres the link: http://www.sheriart.net/honda/ other than that, you're stuck with the cassete adapter and the fm modulator :p

heres a good site with info about the three methods i mentioned. http://oklahomawing.com/mp3_player.htm

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I've done the FM modulator and it works good as long as you don't have nearby FM stations competing with your desired signal.

Here in the Phoenix area, just about every FM channel has something "too close". It worked great after I got way out of town though.
William is referring to the wired in FM modulator, I believe which does not suffer the interference you are referring to here.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Dell you can also use your I-pod off the bike for walking ,doing dishes,washing the car ect & say screw it & get a xm/sirus radio unit much easier to hook up or still be messing with it or just take your bike into a repitable car audio shop & let them deal with it ! choice is yours ! good luck & ride loooong & often !

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I regret to say that william is right, I have an 1000I that I installed the radio in myself.

At this point I will humbly silence myself and slowly back out the door.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I use the cassette adapter on my 1500. I was going to take my stereo out and do the mod. But the cassette adapter works fine for me. The only thing I have changed is my mp3 player. I went to a battery operated. The first was a charge on the computor. I would be out riding and no music. Bought the battery powered one and I carry a spare AAA battery with me.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks everyone for all the input and advice. I knew I would get my answer here.
Awsome website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another quick question or thought. This might open up a whole new can of worms but hope not. My cassette doesn't work anyway and I don't care as I don't own any cassette tapes and don't plan on using them.
Can I somehow input the Ipod to the disconnected cassette player or do I need a qualified radio expert for this?

At this point I am leaning towards a wired in FM modulator as I don't feel very comfortable modifying the circutboard.

Again, Thanks for all the help and input and everyone have a fantastic New Year.

Dell

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i wouldn't also feel comfortable modifyng the circuit board thats why ill install the fm modulator on my 1500 (as soon as i get one haha :p) im electronic technician i know i could do it but i also know that a little mistake and you're done.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I have been using the cassette adapter on mine for the past year and decided it was time to upgrade to a hard wired FM modulator.

While the cassette adapter was " OK " the channel separation wasn't all that good, the cassette tape 'door' was always open allowing dirt/dust/moisture enter the system. I was tired of all the extra wires hanging from my tank bag where the I-Pod was located, running to the tape deckand didn't like the fact that it would lead to premature cassette deck problems(belt) due to the constant use.

Following Rudy's recommendation, I ordered an AUDIOVOX FM MODULATOR (AUD-FMM100) from Sierra Electronics for $49, plus shipping and will be installing it this winter, once things warm up a bit. :X

http://goldwingtech.info/auxradio/

Dusty

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site Dell. I sent you a PM (private message) when you get a chance.

Didn't I read recently that the company who specializes in Goldwing stereos (drawing a blank on their name) is now doing the aux input modificatio0n for a pretty reasonable price? I too am wanting the mod but my soldering skills leave much to be desired. I have been eyeing Rudy's amp and speaker upgrades and was waiting until I made that decision before making a mod decision.

Good luck Dell and somebody will be along soon enough to fill in the blanks from my memory.

Ty

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

The 1800 are the only ones w the aux input from the factory. I think Serria Electronics has a modification for the 1500's.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Kennedy does the mod, too. About 100.00 That'd be www.cellset.com

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.