Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I got my plugs I did not touch the gaps I just put them in ,,,,they looked so thin I thought you would mess them up just takeing a gap measurement,,,, was I wrong in doing this ?
How would you gap them without breaking them ???
I did not want to chance messing up.
It runs very good but you know ,,,,if they should be gapped then I know it will run better. :?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

What is the gap set at right now? The OEM manual states .031" to .035". When I bought my NGK Iridiums 4 years ago, they were pretty much set the same in that range. I popped them in and the bike has ran very well with them. I just started it last week from a 4 month gap :(and it fired right up even though they have over 25,000 miles on them.

If you do have to gap them just becareful not to mess with the center electrode because as you could see, it's very thin material and I'd bet it wouldn't take much to bend it I'd think.

If your bike starts and runs very well right now: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.;)

Regards,

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There's not going to be much gain trying to open them much beyond the standard book setting. Iridium plugs will fire across a larger gap than massive electrode plugs with the same applied voltage but increasing the gap much just means less chance of getting started on a very cold day or when your battery might be down a bit. Best way I can think of to find out if they are right is to watch your fuel mileage and how the engine performs. If it's equal to or better than before you can't be far off.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
do not attempt to gap them
thats what I thought.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well I know they tell you not to mess with the gap. I never have been one to follow instructions. :D So is use a pair of needle nose pliers like this , or recently I have found a very small pair of vice grips locked unto the actual bendable part of the plug allows you to move the gap out or in.

I also like one heat range colder on a plug, if it specifies a 6 range like the 1800 does , I like the 5 range. Just a bit better gas mileage. They do not transfer heat to the cooling system quite as quick, but have not seen any problems yet, and have been running the 5 heat range for about 30 days. Fires the 87 octane a bit better, I will pull a couple of the plugs in another month and see if they are self cleaning themselves or there is a problem with my new experiment.

Kit

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Greetings,

What is the gap set at right now? The OEM manual states .031" to .035". When I bought my NGK Iridiums 4 years ago, they were pretty much set the same in that range. I popped them in and the bike has ran very well with them. I just started it last week from a 4 month gap :(and it fired right up even though they have over 25,000 miles on them.

If you do have to gap them just becareful not to mess with the center electrode because as you could see, it's very thin material and I'd bet it wouldn't take much to bend it I'd think.

If your bike starts and runs very well right now: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.;)

Regards,

Hobie

That was what I was getting at. You can' t use the center electrode to use as a fulcrum to pry up the over-hanging prong. Isn't there a spark plug tool that just fits around the little arm to bend it in one direction or the other? It was all moot to me as the gap was correct to begin with.

Regards,

hobie

P.S. here's a short tutorial on installation and set-up of Iridiums:

http://tinyurl.com/bojquu

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Kit and Hobie ,I do not know why I did not getthose instructions with mine.
I think I'll just leave them alone!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I'm new to this forum. My '98 Wing sometimes dosen't start without boosting. Especially after sitting outside on a wet night. I have thought about changing the plugs. What plugs should I use? I have no history on the bike and it has 86,000 ks on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.