Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am considering purchasing a trailer and I was wondering if any one knows the law on trailer towing in Ireland & europe

I asume the trailer has to be insured as with towing behind a car

Has anyone more information on this issue

Thanks

James B

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I believe that ******* from the UK has pulled his trailer in Ireland. I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in soon!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
imported post

Hey James B,

I have had a trailer for a couple of seasons now, using it abroad mainly, hardly ever at home. I have had no problems with the "plod", nor has many of our other Irish members with theirs. Crossing the UK to Europe also, no prob.

However, I am not sure of the insurance/legal issues, perhaps, those more in the know will enlighten us.(Ring Ciaran in Gorey Bikes...he who knows it all...ha ha)

C'mon Ciaran...!!!:action:

Steve:leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Trailers

I found this info from my reading of the article If you hold a full car licence you can tow a trailer with a motor cycle

i will try to confirm this with local plod and update as i recive more info

Cars and trailers

If you hold a Full category B licence, you may tow a trailer only if:

• the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 750kg or less, or
  • the unladen (empty) weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's design gross vehicle weight, and the combined design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.
When using a car to tow a heavier trailer, you must hold a category EB licence.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks red

It apear to be a limbo area typical Ireland:bat::bat:

I will check with My insurance company tomorrow and update all with there comments :D:D

I drive a trike so under law I can brive it with car licence so maby the 750 kg wieght on the above article will have to be used to get offical cover from them to tow it we will see :arguing:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

If you hold a Full category B licence, you may tow a trailer only if:

• the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 750kg or less, or
  • the unladen (empty) weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's design gross vehicle weight, and the combined design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.
[align=center]The above information which you posted only applies to motor cars :waving:[/align]

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I checked with My insrance Company Today(AON) and with my policy trailer towing is covered third party as long as trailer is stamped with a serial number

I also checked with local law and a trailer under 750 kg can be towed under car licence over this a test is needed

as i am driving my trike on car licence I think im covered

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.