Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday morning I rolled out of the driveway at 9:00am and rolled back in at 11:15pm. During this time I rode 600 miles from my area of Eastern PAto the area South of Pittsburgh and back again. I have been trying to visit every County in Pennsylvaniaand this trip was so that I could get to Greene county (the most SouthwesternCounty in PA).

Along the way I made a few stops: Raystown Lake, Flight 93 Memorial,several vistas overlooking the Allegheny Laurel Highlands, and I even climbed an observation tower at PA'shighest peak. I wasn't in any big hurry trying to add on the miles: just a nice easy ride.

When I got home and climbed off the bike I hada satisfied smile because it was a good day and a great ride. This morning I woke up with wonderment because my body feels like I was hit with a Mack truck. I think every muscle in my arms,legs, and back are laughing at me saying: "That's what you get for being mean to us!"

If I was trying to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours, I think I would be able to do it, but I don't know that I want to try it anymore. I don't want to wake up again feeling like I do right now!Several years ago I may have said "what the heck" and done it, but with age comes wisdom. So for you members of the IBA, congratulations on your membership, but don't look for me at any up-coming meetings: you have earned my respect!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I understand your feelings. Last summer my buddy called and said lets hit 4 states today. We left the NW side of Chicago, drove through Indiana, hit the NW corner of Ohio, went north to Michigan and then back home. While it was only 500 miles it was a long day as we took only back roads except for getting through Chicago. It was a 12 hour tour and when I got home I was tired.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

i did my 1000 just on deals gap,i felt just fine after,well i felt fine 4 days later,lol

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,264 Posts
imported post

I can appreciate that "4 days later" part real well :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

When you get as decreped as I am it takes longer

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Back when I was willing to burn midnight oil I'd ride home to Arlington, Va. for the weekend and be back on base by Monday morning in Charleston. I did it seven times in 6 months. I was 20 back then.

On a KZ454LTD.. .

Not the smartest way to ride, but I was young, in love and committed. I could plan for the ride, but I couldn't rest-up before or after to any extent worth mentioning. Looking back on those rides (which I do every now and then, amongst others), if I were driving a cage, I would've probably fallen asleep along the way somewhere.

Love is a conquering thing.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Back when I was willing to burn midnight oil I'd ride home to Arlington, Va. for the weekend and be back on base by Monday morning in Charleston. I did it seven times in 6 months. I was 20 back then.

On a KZ454LTD.. .

Not the smartest way to ride, but I was young, in love and committed. I could plan for the ride, but I couldn't rest-up before or after to any extent worth mentioning. Looking back on those rides (which I do every now and then, amongst others), if I were driving a cage, I would've probably fallen asleep along the way somewhere.

Love is a conquering thing.
Been there, done that, and I own the T-Shirt factory!

Numeroustrips from Norfolk, VA leaving at 4:30 in the afternoon and arriving at midnight. 7 hours in those days were nothing (that that was on a GS550L). Several trips were made where more money was spent on coffee than what was spent on gas. All that for the love of a woman.
Don't tell her I said so!:ssshh:

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

yellow wolf wrote:
i did my 1000 just on deals gap,i felt just fine after,well i felt fine 4 days later,lol
I feel fine now, but early this morning was a completely different story. And what do you think my wife was saying: "Don't look at me for sympathy", etc, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Pastor T wrote:
Ya gotta love a good woman!
I've been with this one for over 24 years now, so I think we have each other figured out.:)

It would bee too much work to learn all that stuff over again.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I haven't done it, but it seems to me that doing an iron butt ride would be pretty easy if you did the right planning for it.

I would think that picking a route on a good piece of interstate (no construction, crazy traffic, slow zones, ect.) would be key.
Plan your stops
Ride 500 miles out - turn around - ride 500 miles back.

If it's all about logging 1000 miles in a day, I can't think of a more efficent way.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I left my house in WA state at 4:00 am, and arrived in Pasadena, CA, 1050 miles later at 1:00 am. 3 hours to spare, and we took several longer than necessary breaks, since we knew we were on pace to make it. All Interstate riding, so it was pretty easy.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I put 850 on one day from Austin Texas to Odenville Al , My butt was ready to quit , but I saw I could have done the Ironbutt 1000 just as easy.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
I put 850 on one day from Austin Texas to Odenville Al , My butt was ready to quit , but I saw I could have done the Ironbutt 1000 just as easy.
I did a similar trip on my MotoGuzzi one time, so knew I could do it when I wanted. (The Goldwing was easier).

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
I haven't done it, but it seems to me that doing an iron butt ride would be pretty easy if you did the right planning for it.

I would think that picking a route on a good piece of interstate (no construction, crazy traffic, slow zones, ect.) would be key.
Plan your stops
Ride 500 miles out - turn around - ride 500 miles back.

If it's all about logging 1000 miles in a day, I can't think of a more efficent way.
You are correct sir. Two of my riding buddies and I did 1000 miles in just over 19 hours this past April. I didn't know what to expect except that I figured that I would become very tired toward the end. Then most I had ridden in a day to that point was around 600 miles.

We planned well, making time for regular stops for gas,etc.,and one longish stop for dinner. The route was interstate all the way. Please don't think I'm bragging, but it was easy.I could have kept on going at the end, and so could my buddies. Planning is everything in an Ironbutt ride.

Just logging miles to log milesain't for everybody, but the challenge was there so I can say I've done it now. Might just try another one...that 1500 miler.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:
Just logging miles to log milesain't for everybody, but the challenge was there so I can say I've done it now. Might just try another one...that 1500 miler.
Let us know when and where you are doing it. I'd like to avoid your tired arse on the highway.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
DeDubya wrote:
Let us know when and where you are doing it. I'd like to avoid your tired **** on the highway.
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:
Rudy wrote:
DeDubya wrote:
Let us know when and where you are doing it. I'd like to avoid your tired **** on the highway.
KAPOW, RIGHT IN THE KISSER!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
DeDubya wrote:
Rudy wrote:
DeDubya wrote:
KAPOW, RIGHT IN THE KISSER!
+1

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Three years ago I did775 miles in one shot. It wasn't planned that way, I was leaving my brother's house in Stockton, CA and heading back to Tacoma, WA with a stopover at my daughter and SIL's house in Medford, ORwhich is about the halfway mark. It started raining by the time I hit Sacramento, CA. It got heavier in the Shastas and over the Siskyous. By the time I got to Medford it was a bit lighter but still coming down. It was only 1:00pm so I decided since the rain would still be coming down the next day I might as well push on. By the time I got through Portland, OR there was only 150 miles or so to go so after stopping at a Lenny's for warm dinner I finished up the ride at home. I could have gone on for the other 225 so I know I could have done a 1000 mile day. This ride was done with no real break in the rain which was quite heavy much of the time with the added bonus of 40F weather in the mountain passes and a plentitude of wind. I was wearing my normal gear with Frogg Toggs over the top and my waterproof gloves. My Bell Mag8 helmet had a face shield which stayed mostly closed on the whole ride. I kept the windshield in it's lowest position which was about one inch lower than stock. All in all I was pretty comfortable for the trip, never really got wet. The only thing was slower speeds on the mountain curves due to rain probably added an hour to the ride. I know I could do 1000 miles in 24 hours, especially in good weatherbut really can't see a reason to do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.