Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Not trying to start a gun thead, but instead an Iron Butt thread. I am going in May to the NRA convention in Phoenix in May, riding from Seattle. Thought I would knock out my SS1000 the first day. Anyone from Western WA going too, and want to accompany me?

Marty

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Well, since I am already here ;), all I can do is ask you to give me a phone call so we can share a cuppa.... :waving:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Ditto that Don't miss the opportunity to meet John Great guy!!!!!!

Did the trip from there to here last May

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Can't do the trip, but good luck!! Planning my first Iron Butt ride, and can't imagine doing the thousand in a day. I think I can do it, after all, it's the easiest ride. But I'm not sure I'll be a long-distance fan, hooked for life, like some of those on their site seem to be.

Hope yours is really great!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have been steadily working to get my GL1200 ready for long distance riding. It is now ready, and I figure this will be a good test. A couple years ago I did 900 miles in one day on my MotoGuzzi, (cause my Wing was laid up with a bum rear end) (I guess a bum bum) and that 900 miler was not too bad. The Wing is a much nicer ride of course, so I should be good to go. Plan on leaving about 4:00 am, and pull in to Pasadena CA about midnight, which will be 1050 miles. Wish I could find someone to ride with though, it would be funner.

Marty

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yep, I plan on documenting the trip and submitting it for my license plate holder!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
imported post

Marty,

You should have plenty of company on the way down. The "Run For The Wall" begin on May 13th in Rancho Cucamonga. I'll be leaving on May 12th. Just a little ride of about 3000 miles to Washington DC with about 300 friends.

As far as the SS1000, I live near SF and rode to SW New Mexico to get my certification. I said that I would NEVER do that again. 4 months later, I did an accidental SS1000 (actually 1050 miles) to Albq., NM. I suppose it gets easier after the first one. Maybe I'm just getting a bit brain dead or something.

Good luck on your ride!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Just for anyone reading this thread who might consider doing an Iron Butt SS1000 ride, as mentioned above, you must go their site and follow the certification rules to the letter! Any flexibility you may require must beapproved in advance.

My chiming back in here is to note that with the wings, you will need to plan a trip with a bare-bones minimum of 1040 miles, for an SS1000. Their site states that Japanese-brand motorcycles' odometers are "off" approximately 4 %, so they require an extra 40 miles by our odometer readings. I'm planning to throw in an extra 25-35 miles cushion for extra insurance.....why ride for about 18 hours, then be denied over a couple of miles disputed?

Best of luck to all preparing an LD ride, ride safe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.