Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Butt

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  exavid 
#1 ·
imported post

New record set for riding all 48 lower States in the U.S. by "Morris Kruemcke" riding a 2001 Gold Wing!

He rode to each of the 48 States in ( 5 days, 8 hours and 52 minutes ) !!!

Doesn't seem possible to me, Wow !

Previous record was held by a "BMW" rider ( 5 days, 12 hours and 42 minutes ) !

"Motorcycle Consumer News Mag" April 05

#2 ·
imported post

I wasn't aware Goldwings could go 800 miles an hour.

It takes a commercial jet liner 4 to 5 1/2 hours to go from the Atlantic to the Pacific, non stop in the U.S. averaging 350+ mph...No stop signs. No traffic. No tolls. No cops.

It takes me 18 hours to drive from Boston MA to Atlanta GA, non stop in a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville averaging just over 70 mph.

I am DEFINATELY missing something here. :baffled:

#3 ·
imported post

You definately are missing something, but not sure what. Maybe you missed the 5 days part. All he had to do was touch his wheels in all 48 states in 5 days, 8 hours, etc.... Some states you can make short paths to, and I am sure you could hit 10-15 in one 24 hour period in the NE. Out West you have bigger states and they are spread out.

Raymond

#4 ·
imported post

Is there also not a spot called the "4 corners", where 4 states come together at one place? that would sure save some time.

#5 ·
imported post

That's still kind of amazing, averages 2.68 hours per state assuming the biker didn't sleep or stop for fuel or food. I'd sure like to see a map of the route he used. Averaging 50mph, which ain't easy for 5 days, would mean he had6434 miles to operate with. Quite an achievement.

G
#6 ·
imported post

Hey you guys will you just believewhats in the "Motorcycle Consumer News Mag" :whip:I think i will rename you guys "Thomas" :baffled:was he the guy who doubted the man above on one occasion. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

#7 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey you guys will you just believewhats in the "Motorcycle Consumer News Mag" :whip:I think i will rename you guys "Thomas" :baffled:was he the guy who doubted the man above on one occasion.
I ain't doubtin' just would like to see how it was done. I'm glad I didn't try a ride like that. I think I'd never want to see a motorcycle again! You can call me Thomas if it pleases you, just don't call me late for dinner. :cheeky1:

#8 ·
imported post

There's an old saying that rings a bell here...

"Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you read".

I would also like to see the road map of his trip. I've also driven from Portland Maine to Fort Myers Florida by automobile and it took well over 27hrs. That's just the east coast, north to south... Now add in the time zones from east to west, all the states in each zone and the fact that the roads are not straight. There is some information missing on this giagantic feat, and it would help to let the world know what it is..

Even if you drove a large "U" starting in (let's say) Florida, drove west across the southern states to California, headed north to Oregon and then changed direction to head east across all the northern states forNew England and Maine, it would take longer than 5 days...

I'd like to see that article and have a chat with the author and the performer. The only blind faith I have is in the one above. All else is fiction unless I see it with my own eyes.

#9 ·
imported post

I've seen a map on one guys website, but I can't find it again. There again, with some offbeat roads and highways, you can hit 12-15 states in a day. I'll see if I can run accross the map again.

And the 4 corners is Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.

Raymond

#12 ·
imported post

I've just been reading Going The Extra Mile by Ron Ayers, Whitehorse press. It's all about these maniacs who ride ultra long distance as fast a they can.
The book does offer GREAT tips on long distance travel, gear, clothes, web sites etc. etc. Don't know how to give you a link but check www.WhitehorsePress.com
What's the point of going by bike if you're travelling like an over-the-road trucker?
Snow is finally melting...it's time to go!

#13 ·
imported post

I was under the impression that the Iron butt was from Gnome Alaska, to Key West, Florida.

#14 ·
imported post

philcsand wrote:
I was under the impression that the Iron butt was from Gnome Alaska, to Key West, Florida.

I was under the impression that the original Iron Butt was 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours. From there the different events just sort of took off. I've done 750 miles in twelve hrs. on my stock wing. Didn't see a whole lot and am in no hurry to repeat the trip.... New Castle,Penn. >>> Alanta,Georgia.

Only had five days vacation and wanted to spend as much time as possible with my older brother.

#15 ·
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Gnomes live in Middle Earth, Nome is in Alaska! They must have done it during the winter since there's no road within 500 miles of Nome!
:jumper::15red::jumper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.