Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i was just reading one of the iron butt threads, and in it they were talking about riding 1000 miles in one day. my god man,we dont have a problem riding all day, but hell we stop for this, and talk to him/her, stop and eat, drink and be or do mary, and by the end of the day, bout 9pm, we are DONE! and we may of rode 400 miles at the max! and we are looking for a hampton!!!!! usually im still walking normally, and my wife is kinda bowllegged, (she doesnt ride a wing), but we make it into a hampton and shower and eat and go to bed! then in the (what i call morning), about 11am, we ride out and do it again. but each day seems harder and harder to keep going those long miles. what i want to know is : 1. how do you guys stay focussed after all day in the saddle knowing you gotta keep on going long after you are tired as hell, and your body is hurting, and you are so tired that you are hallucinating, (least i do when i get that tired), and your butt is burning so bad it feels like a hot poker up your butt? 2. what do you all do for food, drink, and bodily functions? i mean, if you stop to eat, you are going to waste precious time and miles. it may be crowded at the wendys or steak and shake, and you may lose a half hour or so. i dont mean this to sound pheseashish, but half an hour is a long time when you are on a certain time frame. i know we have drink holders on our bikes, but hey, who wants to drink a liquid thats been in the hot sun for 8 hrs? im sorry here, and i know "to each his own", but guys, i need help here. where is the fun in this? 3. after so many hours in the saddle, i got to pee. does that happen only when you stop for gas? hell on a wing, that could be hours! 4. when do you sleep? or do you sleep? going mile after mile without sleep, makes for a bad time. 5. what constitutes the end of the trip? what would have to happen to you to make you say i cant go any further? other than being in an accident, where your bike is unrideable. if you could magically have another bike right there at the accident scene, knowing that you were too tired to go any further, would you hop on it and go? as you all can tell, this just goes against everything we were all taught from little on, when it comes to driving a car or riding a motorcycle. hell even truckers have to sleep at some point in time, and they go coast to coast. so help me out here guys. thanks for letting me rant..............rick

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Well, I guess the main thing is being mentally prepared. First, you gotta have a good seat. I have one of those. Second you have to really enjoy riding a bike. The more you enjoy it, the faster the time goes.

There are plenty of places to stop and eat, use the restroom. And for a guy, that's basically anywhere. There are plenty of rest areas in this part of the country.

Stop in a rest area and knock off a hour or two or 4 of sleep.

Heck, if you travel 70 mph (and in some places it's higher) you can travel 1000 miles in just over 14 hours. Leaves 9+ hours for sleep, eating, etc.

I've done it unofficially twice now, and have put in several 600-700+ days without a hesitation.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It is just a thing to do. An accomplishment, a goal, for what reason I have no idea.

You have to register with them, plan a route and submit your route and then have witness to the fact you ran the ride, you have to submit your stops and times and route to the Iron Butt Organization. With signatures of witness.

Then you get a license plate bracket that says Iron Butt Rider on it.

It is an easy goal when one is young, I used to ride from Jacksonville Florida to Oklahoma or Arkansas non stop all the time, and go back non-stop, never thought a thing about it.
I was young, did not bother me.

Then one day I got some sense, and motorcycles became a fun thing, a hobby, what I enjoy in life, so that is what I do, I enjoy the ride, the company of others, friends, and although I have no problem pushing it up to 800 mile days on a long trip, I prefer to not do so, to just poke along and enjoy the ride. Take the back roads, smile at the pretty girl in the sports car. Wave at the lady getting her mail.

Pretty much my standard answer to one of my friend when they bring up the Iron Butt discussion is simply this: I already know I do not have an Iron butt. Go have a good time. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Well, one reason to do long distance riding is to get from point A to point B quickly, and with a little enjoyment. I hate flying, and love riding. The key is to start early, get a couple hundred miles under your belt before breakfast. Then, the rest of the day is gravy.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

I've done it a few times unoffically..one on a '95 Harley Sportster (can you say numb butt...for 2 days?). I may do one of the MTF rides this fall to make an official one.

It's very do-able , just keep your gas and potty breaks short during the first part of the ride while you are still fresh. Then you can take a few longer breaks near the end. Maintain a good, but not crazy, pace. figure on 17-18 hours start to finish.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

It's not as difficult as you may think. get a good nights rest before you start minimum eight hours. Keep a steady pace. Eat smart. Think protein not carbs. Drink gatorade or water, avoid sodas and heavy juices. Stick to the panned route. And It helps to have a partner.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Yeah, Brokewinger is right. IF you're a sane person. OR you could go on a nice 3 week vacation west to Vancouver, Canada (1300 miles) and then follow the coastline all the way to San Diego (1500 miles), then come back up thru Vegas and Reno and end up in Yellowstone (another 1300 miles) the second week of September having only spent 1 night in a motel and the rest of the time in a small 2-person tent. The wife and I were actually looking forward to getting home in a few days. After a restless night in our tent wearing every piece of clothing we had brought along because the temp dropped to 22F and spending 1/2 hour with the washroom blow dryer to loosen up the limbs we scrapped the frost off the bike and headed out at 5:30 AM. Home was 1034 miles away. Round about noon, when we started to regain feelings in our limbs but in retrospect not our brains, the wife figures out that if we push it she could be in her own bath & bed by midnight. I'm usually the one pushing on trips but on that afternoon she definitely put the spurs to me. Who knew a woman could hold her bladder if she has an agenda! We rolled into our driveway at 11:45PM. No registration of the event. No license plate bracket. Just a sore memory ingrained on the brain of our first Iron Butt. We've done a few less eventful ones since but they were planned and thus less memorable. The amazing thing about the first one was that she suffered less from that first one than I did. We had a sheepskin cover on the seat (this was a '78) and I had added an 8" tire tube with a small bit of air under her portion of the seat. That 'air ride' saved her but I couldn't have stopped 'a pig in the road' the next day.
I have taken up doing a 4 day journey of 900-1000 miles a day late in the season to quench my desire thru the long winters up here. After a trip like that I'm happy not to think about a long journey until at least the end of January. But this is late March and am I ever chomping at the bit now. We're getting 4-6 inches of snow today and possibly another 2-4 tomorrow. No riding in my immediate future. Right about now an Iron Butt ride sounds like heaven!

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

I, too, someday want to do a 1000 or 1500 mi. iron butt and had actually planned one last yearbut it was cancelled because of a sudden illness. Why? Just cuz I guess. I'm not in any hurry and it will definitely have to be the right time and conditions, but I will do it some day.

I might even do more than one 1000/1500 miler in time, but what I don't understand are those guys who do those other certified iron butt rides, and there are a whole bunch of them covering many thousands of miles around the country/world within a prescribed time limit. While they are very interesting to read about, to me, those are just punishing both to the body and bike...but, to each his own. I know some guys luv it...but I have my limits cuz I ain't that young any more.

I like puttin' along too much and definitely enjoy my coffee breaks to be worried with time limits, etc., but I will have me one of those license plates/patches/pin some day. They're just too cool not to have.

DeDub :18white:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

I've done a couple, but no official ones. I'm hoping to get an oficial one under my belt before too much more time passes.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

It's an accomplishment like someone said, but everytime I've done it, I don't really plan on doing 1,000 mile days. They just end up happening that way sometimes. Got a destination to get to quick? Just get on and go.

When I'm riding alone, I prefer real early starts as in an hour before dawn. I do 120-140 miles per tankand then stop for gas, so that means about every 2 hours, I'll stop, fuel up, take a sip of water(gallon jug in the trunk) and a few bites off agiant snickersor an apple and then hit the john and checkoil and tires. Stopping so often gives me a chance to get both feet walking and my mind straightened out. It's 5 or 10 minute stops at the most though. And I usually skip breakfast on a ride by myself, but I'll grab a burger for a late lunch around 3 or 4 and just hold off on supper til I get to where I'm going. Usually back home.

The important thing is always to gauge how you feel... if you're feeling real real tired, then stop. If not,go another tankful and see how you feel. And rain slows me down, but it doesn't stop me when I'm riding alone.

btw, I've been known a time or two to pull over after midnight and sleep on those wood benches inside the rest stops til daybreak. Raingear makes a nice pillow.

Plus it's just personal satisfaction I guess. Everytime I think about those long rides, I kind of grin to myself. That's what it's all about I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Hey,
Iron Butt is not for everyone.
Plan the ride, ride the plan and if the plan falls through be smart enough to call it off, stop and get a room or whatever. Most rides are not really difficult if properly prepared. If ya don't want to put in the effort forget it.

John

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I'm like you, I don't start halucenating, but when I start to get tired, it's over. I've considered doing an Iron butt ride, just to have done it.

I've done 600 to 700+ mile days in the mountains and on country roads, so I don't doubt that I could get on I95 and run down to Savannah and back, but as I get older, I get less interested.

I may still try it one day just to have the accomplishment under mybelt, but I know my body well enough to know, if I start to get too tire, it's over before it's done. I am willing to push it, but not to the point that it kills me....

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

We do it---because it's there! Just to say I did it. Matter of fact we did ours last July with the War Department on back (said she'd rather boss than ride-go figure). Even did it with 2 Harley riders.

Just because, that's all

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
It is just a thing to do. An accomplishment, a goal, for what reason I have no idea.

You have to register with them, plan a route and submit your route and then have witness to the fact you ran the ride, you have to submit your stops and times and route to the Iron Butt Organization. With signatures of witness.

Then you get a license plate bracket that says Iron Butt Rider on it.

It is an easy goal when one is young, I used to ride from Jacksonville Florida to Oklahoma or Arkansas non stop all the time, and go back non-stop, never thought a thing about it.
I was young, did not bother me.

Then one day I got some sense, and motorcycles became a fun thing, a hobby, what I enjoy in life, so that is what I do, I enjoy the ride, the company of others, friends, and although I have no problem pushing it up to 800 mile days on a long trip, I prefer to not do so, to just poke along and enjoy the ride. Take the back roads, smile at the pretty girl in the sports car. Wave at the lady getting her mail.

Pretty much my standard answer to one of my friend when they bring up the Iron Butt discussion is simply this: I already know I do not have an Iron butt. Go have a good time. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
kit, as always, you put the answer out there in a way we all can understand. now i understand that it is a goal like climbing a mountain, jumping from an airplane, like one of my buds, just had to go to daytona and drive one of their race cars around the track, for one hell of a fee of course. and then once they do it, it is an accomplishment. okay..............thanks................rick

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Yeah, Brokewinger is right. IF you're a sane person. OR you could go on a nice 3 week vacation west to Vancouver, Canada (1300 miles) and then follow the coastline all the way to San Diego (1500 miles), then come back up thru Vegas and Reno and end up in Yellowstone (another 1300 miles) the second week of September having only spent 1 night in a motel and the rest of the time in a small 2-person tent. The wife and I were actually looking forward to getting home in a few days. After a restless night in our tent wearing every piece of clothing we had brought along because the temp dropped to 22F and spending 1/2 hour with the washroom blow dryer to loosen up the limbs we scrapped the frost off the bike and headed out at 5:30 AM. Home was 1034 miles away. Round about noon, when we started to regain feelings in our limbs but in retrospect not our brains, the wife figures out that if we push it she could be in her own bath & bed by midnight. I'm usually the one pushing on trips but on that afternoon she definitely put the spurs to me. Who knew a woman could hold her bladder if she has an agenda! We rolled into our driveway at 11:45PM. No registration of the event. No license plate bracket. Just a sore memory ingrained on the brain of our first Iron Butt. We've done a few less eventful ones since but they were planned and thus less memorable. The amazing thing about the first one was that she suffered less from that first one than I did. We had a sheepskin cover on the seat (this was a '78) and I had added an 8" tire tube with a small bit of air under her portion of the seat. That 'air ride' saved her but I couldn't have stopped 'a pig in the road' the next day.
I have taken up doing a 4 day journey of 900-1000 miles a day late in the season to quench my desire thru the long winters up here. After a trip like that I'm happy not to think about a long journey until at least the end of January. But this is late March and am I ever chomping at the bit now. We're getting 4-6 inches of snow today and possibly another 2-4 tomorrow. No riding in my immediate future. Right about now an Iron Butt ride sounds like heaven!
and do you realize now how dangerous that was? riding while you were froze to the bone, your reflexes couldnt have been right. but i guess it is a good memmory, and a good story to tell.................rick

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

We did 4200 miles last summer...the biggest key was an early...(dawn) start..cooler, less traffic......stopped every 100 miles regardless....rode 400-550 each day...by 2-4 pm looking for a place to stay or camp..gave us lots of time to chill...getting a start at 11am makes you ride in the heat and traffic....does not leave any "cushion" time just in case...it's about the journey not the destination....

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Did right at 900 miles once,only stopped for fuel and COFFEE.If it wasn't for the coffee,I would have never made it.Straight threw from Flordia to Nothern,Ky.
14 hours

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I'm doing one this summer. Chicago to Denver. 1,036 miles. I plan on a 750-800 mile first day and the rest on day two. You have 24 hours to complete it which leaves time to catch 4 or 5 hours of sleep. I don't know, it is something I have wanted to do and this year I am doing it as a 50th birthday present to myself. Kinda makes me look forward to turning 50 even. My wife wants no part of it though. She is flying out to denver and then we are taking 6 days to get back home to Racine, Wisconsin. If this goes well, I would like to do at lease one a year.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

What is the official Iron Butt website. Did a search, and there were many to choose from and of course they were all official. Anyone in Texas want to knock one out?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.