Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking for a parts bike, are most of the parts interchangeable and what parts wouldn't be on a 1976 and 1978?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
imported post

If your looking for replacement parts for your 2 1100s ,you should look for an1100 . Not much of anything from the 1000 series is the same for the 1100 .

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Actually my son has taken on a 1978 GL1000 and trying to get it road ready.

Thanks for the response.

Ryster

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Others here would know better than I, but....

I owned a 76 GL1000 (135K miles in 7 years), and my understanding is that the 75-77's were MOSTLY (but not completely) the same "bits".

The 78 is a fairly different machine, and I wouldn't recommend it, as a "parts bike" for the 76, or vice-versa. I know that the brake systems are quite different, for example. :byebye:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The carbs on the 75-76 had larger bores than the later 1000s. There were some other differences but mostly in the engine, hotter cams too, I believe. The '77-79s were detuned a bit compared to the first two years which were more for the hairy chested.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Ok, you got me, Paul. I'm amongst the "hairy chested"? :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

The '76 has the kick start still, and that reserve lighting system is mounted under the left hand tank side as you sit on the bike. The wiring harnesses are different. The brakes and wheels are different. Seats will fit. The light module that tells you if the lights are out or indicates turn signals is different. Gauges are different, but basically the same. The speedometer for the '78 has some little gizmo in it for the turn signal buzzer, which isn't a necessary item,and the '76 doesn't, and the Tach for the '76 has a temp gauge in it that the '78 tach does not have. Fuse blocks are in different locations. (I personally think the '76 location is better than the '78-'79 location.)

The side covers are different shapes. The timing proceedures are the same for both earlier and later engines.
The '78 times at 10ºBTDC and the '76 times at 5ºBTDC. You don't really have to know that however.
The carbs are different '78's are smaller. '75-'77 has a bit hotter cam. Valve lift is the same and so is the setting of the valve gap. Point gap is the same.
The frames are slightly different shapes, but all the mounting points for the engine are in the same locations so the engines can be switched if need be. Same radiators.Same shrouds around the radiators and the heat shield between radiator and carbs is the same.

You can interchange the heads, but do both of them at the same time.
Timing belt is the same, although I have seen different numbers for them, but only from Mama Honda. Same fuel pumps.
Tanks look to be the same shape also.
The faux tanks are different. I haven't tried to put the one from my '76 on my '78 so I don't know if that can be done. Nice thing about 'Wings is they don't have to be there to run the bike, so you could always fabricate your own.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I didn't think it was appropriate to start a new thread as my question is basically the same premise as this thread.

I have access to a running 75 goldwing but the front end is damaged and not ride-able. I also have access to a non running 78 that I could pull the front end off and put on the 75.

I haven't done much research or even checked the bikes that closely, but thought if I could match up the front end to the frame I would have a working bike. Am I just spinning my wheels or does anyone know if the bikes will align and bolt together?

Hopefully I am explaining things well enough to get an answer.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

If you need more info just let me know!!!!!!!!!

John

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the welcome, I am new to goldwings but not new to other motorcycles. I thoroughly enjoy riding! :) as I am sure most here do as well!!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Howdt 86rocco,

Welcome bro! You could try sending a pm to 78AZWING which might get a faster response from him as he seems to be offline. Others might pitch in later.

Did you measure the dia of the fork tubes to see if they were the same dia? You could also check the parts fieche to see if the seals are the same for those years and if the tree is bent, wether the bearings are the same or not. Sorry I don't have that info for you. I've worked on the 1100 & 1500s. Hope it works out to get on the road. I remember the 75 when it came to the shop and set upand the shop manager tried for half an hour to get the front wheel off the ground like the 750, ended up with a bald tire and only an inch or two off the ground :?

God Bless

Merry Christmas

Stu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.