Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm looking to buy a touring bike but I can't decide between the Goldwing, Honda ST1300, and the Yam FJR1300. My first "instinct" tells me to buy the Yamaha FJR 1300 because it's more of a sport-touring bike, but I love looking at the Goldwing because it's so "substantial" looking, like you are really getting something for your money.

I would mostly use the Goldwing for short weekend trips of maybe 200 to 500 miles. Not really for long distance touring for the most part. In addition I think I would want a bike allows me to have some fun on the back road twisties to some extent but not interested in dragging my knees, etc. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a car or something so heavy that I don't dare gas it once in a while.

So given these things, is a 2005 Goldwing the right bike for me? I don't have a lot of experience lately with many different bikes so it's hard for me to tell which bike is right for me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Chris.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

If you want a good handling bike with lots of storage and plenty of arse in the throttle,

You need a Wing

:waving:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Hello Chris,

Unless you a Freddie Spencer or just young to know who he is, go with the Goldwing.
It'll carry more stuff, farther, faster, easier and smoother than the other bikes. Not to knock them but the GW is in another class. And never forget! Your passenger will stay happier longer in the saddle of a GL1800.

I've owned all kinds of rice rockets and Harley lead sleds but none compare to my 04 Titanium. If it's fun in the mountains you want...that aluminum racing frame under your -ss will get it done. If you are very young or very inexperienced you might not like the overall look of the Rolls Royce of motorcycles. In that case it's about you not the bike.

Good Luck

Rich:waving:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Rich and Harry for the replies.

Great point about the rider comfort... my wife says she'll want to go on weekend rides, etc., but I was thinking that with the other choices she may not be into that much after a first few rides on the others. :) I'm sure they are adequete, etc., but not like the GW.

Actually I do like the look of the Goldwing. I'm not looking to impress anyonewith the look of a FJR 1300, although I do like the looks of that bike a LOT to, that's not the important part of selecting a bike. I'm thinking more and more that the Wing is for me. :)

The Honda dealer I visted today had a silver one, but tommorrow I'm going to look at a few more shops in my area and hopefully find a gray metalic, black cherry, or blue. I already have two "silver" colored cars so a silver bike also may be too much. :D

See ya on the road in a few weeks maybe. :) Whoohoo, I'm stoked!

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Hello Chris, and welcome to the forum. Either of the bikes you mention are more than up to your week-end request. If you doubt your experience level, I suggest looking for an older ST1100, or FJ to get your feet wet. I have a feeling that after riding either one for a year you'll be wanting a Wing.

I'm currently in a similar situation, I'd like to have the added power of the 1800, but don't want the added weight. I too have pondered the ST1300, it's close to the same weight as my Interstate, but with increased fuel capacity. :baffled:

Mean-while I'll just keep riding my 19 year old 1200. Oh one more thing, Goldwings do tend to last and wear very well. Good Luck with your decision..... :gunhead:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

You would also be part of history if you got a wing. It was the wing that started it all. Since '75, they have all tried. BMW, Yamaha, Kamazaki, Harley... The only one that is really left is the wing. Some harleys are pretty nice, but none do it like the wing. For30 years its been the standard, the target, the goal.

I have an '80 gl1100. It still purrs and pulls like a locomotive.

I would say think about how you are really going to ride, and the riding position. The concourse, and the beemer, and others have a different position. Comfort is where it is.

But a wing, now thats what its all about!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Short weekend jaunts solo, I'd go witha lighter and better handling sport-touring bike. 2-up and longer distance touring I'd go with the Wing.

I wish I could have both! If I had the money for a new 2005 I wouldn't get a 2005... I'd get a one or two year old Wing and spend the rest on a used ST1100 or something similar -maybe a used BMW K or R100.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

An 1800 wing will feel lighter ,look better ,travel smoother and above all will be a lot safer than any other older wing on the road ,The FJR and the others are only toys compared to an 1800 ,,Go on treat yourself and above all treat your better half ...get an 1800 ...cheers Ciaran

Oh and welcome to the best and friendliest goldwing site this site of the milky way ....:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Wing, it's just a matter of when. We are doing a refi on our house and part of that is gonna be to buy the Wing. :) But's it's pure torture to go look at the bikes (I'm going in a few minutes) and not be able to buy it yet!! I have to wait a couple weeks! Stocks are a little low now because it's mid-late summer so if I do see one I want (color wise) there's nothing I can do and hope they won't sell it for a couple weeks. I can't even put down a deposit because that will change our refi numbers.

Plus I need the Wing so I can learn to do wheelies like the guy in Shooter's avitar picture. :D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris, you are asking the wrong guys of course, we are wing nuts, but then again, we wouldn't be riding them if we didn't like them. There isn't really anything else to compare with, unlike Harleys and their lookalikes. The bikes you mentioned, are both sports tourers and are really good I believe, but they will not give you the same thrill on a good length trip. The wife will be having to stretch herself more when she gets off too. Wings do handle and are more than quick enough for sensible riders. They are not crotch rockets and you won't be getting your knee down on one, unless you have 6' legs, but that is not what they are about. They are out and out tourers, with capacity for doing the weekly shop to boot!

Maybe, your time delay on buying will give you a chance to try all three, I think I would,and let your good lady have her say, no good having a nice bike and a grumpy wife!!:whip:

Best of luck with the choosing, I am sure I speak for everyone here, when I say, you will be more than welcome here no matter what you go for. After all this is one of the best bike forums, let alone the best Wing forum in the world.

Keep us updated on how you are getting on.

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

ChrisW123 wrote:
The Honda dealer I visted today had a silver one, but tommorrow I'm going to look at a few more shops in my area and hopefully find a gray metalic, black cherry, or blue. I already have two "silver" colored cars so a silver bike also may be too much. :D
Hey ChrisW123 :leprechaun:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:You didn't state what experience you have on m/cycles if any. :stumped: If you have none get some training. :weightlifter:The :18red:is a super machine, I dont have one myself but i have the use of my neighbours, whenever it's available. :cooler: You mentioned some strange colours in your post, :whip:well for your information only, the Red :18red:is the fastest colour. Good luck with your shopping. :clapper:

:banana::18red::banana:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Pete, I will defintely be spending time here, this seems like a great forum with very active and friendly people. After I get my Wing I'll post a picture of it. Although to everyone I'm sure it will look like all the rest. Only difference is it will be MY Wing. :)

I can't wait, it's absolute torture having to wait 2 or 3 weeks! I should have thought about this earlier this summer but you know how that goes.

Redwing, I don't have a lot of street experience and haven't riden for about 10 years. I started off with 3 different dirt bikes when I was a kid and then to street with a Suzuki GS550. Then bought an '89 GSXR 1100 and rode that for a year or two. What a blast that bike was, oh my God, fast. But I'm not a natural risk taker so never was really into riding the bike like a racer so I sold the bike.

So not a lot of experience but I'm definetely going to try to get some info on proper street riding techniques. I watch street riders and they seem to stay near the lane diving line when in the number 1 and 2 lanes, probably for better visibility. But I'm going to try to get more information ASAP.

-Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris and welcome. OK, I am the odd man out because while I love my Wing, I also have another bike entirely that I do recommend for applications such as yours.

By your description, (And looking at the Yammer Hammer you like) a BMW sounds like your bike, but they are far too pricey for what you get. Now Moto Guzzi is a nimble touring bike that can take on the Beemer head to head in the twisties, yet it is half the price. It's mechanics are elegant and you can dress it up enough to rival the comfort of a Wing to a point. It will never arrive at the pure in your face luxury of the Wing, (Any Wing), but you can get the storage and sound systems if you want. The power is there and quality is good. The Guzzi riders tend to be like Beemer riders, you know the crusty old farts that pull in with petrified leathers and grizzled beards, real characters. There is a certain aura there..... Dealer service is rather slim though.

Harleys sadly cause you to pay far too much for the name, and frankly that Po Ta To vibration would drive me to drink in short order!! If anything is jumping around at a traffic light, I do not want it to be my front wheel and the seat under my...well you know.

If you do go WIng, and you look destined to. Being brutally honest, the only wing I would trust into the twisties where you might be tempted to drag some metal is the 1800. I love my 1200 and I know the rest swear by their 1000s,1100s and 1500s. But if we are honest, the 1800 outhandles any of ours hands down in the twisties.

Which raises the obvious question, how would the Guzzi , (Or the Beemer), stand up to the 1800 in the twisties???......Well if it was real twisty... I am afraid they would be brewing tea waiting on you, but if you had the straights to let the 1800 loose...Different story entirely!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Great info, thanks.

I just starting thinking about buying a bike (seriously) about 2 weeks ago. So I've seen the highway patrol buzzing around on the older BMWs so that was the first website I went to. And it didn't take long to realize that the '05 1200RT was the bike for me. It's a good touring bike, great handling, good power, looks great,price about $17400. But after I visited the dealership the price was really about $21,500. So that ended it for me. Although I could afford the price, I'm just not going to pay that much because I feel it's over-priced. :( So sad.

But then I went to the Honda dealership and looked at the much more reasonably priced ST1300 (about $12000) and Goldwing (about $18400). I've always admired the Goldwing and have been leaning towards it since. The FJR 1300, like I said, is also attractive to me but very hard to get around here. I think there's one that a Yamaha dealer directed me to but I haven't looked at it yet.

In any case, I'm not going to be dragging the foot pegs no matter whatbike I get. :)Personally I think it'stoo dangerous. One patch of oil or gravel in the road is all it takes to ruin your day (or life) so I'm not interested in that. I do like fast paced rides through the corners from time to time however. So I'm thinking that Goldwing can handle that (maybe more even).

There's another thread ("Does wing weigh too much") that I'm watching. Someone said the bike feels hard to stop and sluggish to accelerate from a stop. So I'm waiting for a reply to a post I made there. I wouldn't want the bike if it feels hard to handle in those ways. He didn't mention if was just getting used to the bike or if he still feels that way now, even after getting used to the bike.

-Chris.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Chris, whoever said " suggish" at standing start, must be used to riding a Fireblade or something!!! I can assure you they 'aint sluggish!

You are here, on a site where pretty much everyone loves wings , so you will get a biased oppinion, which is inevitable. Sure, we might point at odd things that we feel are different about the Wing and each has their favorite model, but you would be well advised to get yourself down to your local dealer and try ALL the options. I am sure you are likely to feel pretty comfortable with the Yam and the ST, both are bikes that you will feel instantly comfortable driving. The Wing is likely to be a bit different, they are a different animal. They do take some geting used to. I have ridden other sports tourers and some have been a near perfect ride, my mates FJ1200 for example is a superb bike, handles well, and is comfortable as well. He wouldn't dream of swapping for a wing and he eats more miles than me. I however would not swap a wing for any other bike. I don't say they are better than any other, it is purely "different strokes, different folks."

One angle that hasn't yet been covered is the riders, briefly, I have never met a rotten Wing rider, they are all nice people. Sure, you might think one or two have their heads stuck up their own a***es, or some are too quiet or to rowdy, but they are still nice folks. I have never found quite such friendliness with other brand riders.

I am sure by now you will have got a view to some of the characters on this site, some quiet and reserved, happy to impart their knowledge, some with too much to say (me!!) some with wicked humour, it is a big melting pot of guys and their partners, who enjoy one common bond..... Wings.

You must now go, try your alternatives and make your choice, but don't come bleating to me, when in a year or two, you see the light and realise you should have gone with the Wing!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:( only joking, you can bleat all you like at me:waving:)

Pete

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Chris

Welcome to the jungle!!

Its very obvious that you will not get an unbiased opinion here. That's cause we are all Goldwing Mad:madeyes:

I have owned many bikes and bought my 1200 of the net without even riding a goldwing before. It was very cheap which meant that I could afford it.

I have reached the conclusion that whilst I will probably own another sports bike I will always own a wing.

Weight, handling etc you simply get used to. My advice to anyone making the decision that you are is to ride one. Maybe hire one for the day and take it for a decent ride. Once you have done that I'm sure you will get a wing.

The other consideration is passenger comfort. When I first got my wing my wife gave me a hard time about getting old. I'm only 39. She loves to sit on the back of any bike. However after pointing out how cramped she would be on a CBR1100xx which would be my choice of sports bike, she suddenly stopped giving me a hard time.

200-500 miles is a great length of ride. If I was to do the 2500 odd mile rides that others do I would have to do laps of our little island. The only thing is you probably wont use it just to go down to the local shops.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
200-500 miles is a great length of ride. If I was to do the 2500 odd mile rides that others do I would have to do laps of our little island. The only thing is you probably wont use it just to go down to the local shops.

Andrew
What? you don't use it to go shopping? Andrew, I use mine MOSTLY for shopping, She who should be obeyed, tells me what we need, and off I go. Now it might only be 2mls to Sainsbury, but even 2mls is worth it. Helen the Viking and I often go into Croydon shopping, no parking charge, allocated spots to park in and it's close to the town centre. It is the ideal shopping vehicle, Helen can't buy too much,cuz even with the panniers and top box it is hard to stuff in all she would like. Thus the bike saves me money!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Chris, weight and handling?

This is impossible for anyone to truly convey to another, you would really have to ride one and feel it for yourself. Once again we are back to simple things like:

How big you are, really makes a difference if your 5'2 at 100LBS

How much experience you really have riding "large" motorcycles (if you'd always been on 600 cc's or less, the Wing is gonna seem huge)

Personally I think "handling" is moot point. Most every brand of motorcycle alive and kicking today has worked out all the bugs in the "handling" dept. unless your out to prove just what can be done and what cant, speed verses angle, or if your "Tiny Tim" attempting at throwing 880 lbs around.

My dad told me when I first started riding motorcycle's

"If you cant pick it up, you got no business riding it"!:weightlifter:

Follow Andrew's advice and rent one for a weekend and see how it feels.......

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Wow you guys are great! I can't believe all the fantastic advice I have gotten! Thanks a million it's really helping a lot.

It turns out that the other thread I mentioned about the comment on feeling sluggish to stop and accelerate was not what the person really meant. He also mentioned he loves his Wing and it's fine.

I'm 5' 9" and 190 lbs. On the bike I sat on at the shop my heals were just about an inch off the ground on both sides. I'm in fairly good shape (not great) but I still think I could handle it. In the same thread there was a guy who mentioned he is 5' 4" and had to balance on his tip toes at lights, but was still able to handle it and just "got used to it...". I alsorocked the bike from side to side and although it did feel heavy it didn't seem that bad.

I think the only thing I'd have to remember is not to get off balance at a stop where the ground slopes right to left, etc., and remember to watch for gravel at slow speeds while turning, etc. In that thread they also mentioned that everyone will drop the bike from time to time because of its weight. That kind of bothered me... I would hate to drop it and break off a rear-view mirror or something!! Plus it would be very embarrasing especially if it took me a while to get it back up! Oh man that would be bad. :) I guess you just have to remember that you have extra weight and to watch out for those types of hazards.

Hmm, it's a tough decision... I'm still leaning toward the Wing but also interested in the FJR 1300. I'm going to look at that one also first, if it's still there in 2 weeks, and then decide. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Wing. Also if for some reason I really don't think I'm up to the bike or would be happier with a smaller bike I can always sell it and buy something else. Lose a couple thousand bucks maybe. But if I buy the FJR first, I may not realize what I'm missing with the Wing and therefore never sell it to see. Ouch, my brain hurts now.... :D

-Chris.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ChrisW123 wrote:
Great info, thanks.
And it didn't take long to realize that the '05 1200RT was the bike for me. It's a good touring bike, great handling, good power, looks great,price about $17400. But after I visited the dealership the price was really about $21,500. So that ended it for me. Although I could afford the price, I'm just not going to pay that much because I feel it's over-priced. :( So sad.
If you want an eye opener, take that 1200RT out and try it at low speed in a parking lot with a full fuel tank. Then do the same with the Wing. If you want top heavy and hairy at low speed you'll love the Bimmer. I will admit the BMW has the handling edge on the 1500 Goldwing, the 1800 might be closer to a match in the twisties, but for overall riding comfort and lack of sweat at low speeds in close quarters, I think it's hard to beat the wing. Not to mention there's more service locations and parts are a LOT cheaper. I'm shocked that they charged my brother an obscene amount for a lousy throttle meister, I think it was over $200 for a steenking throttle friction lock. Besides why fart around with four jugs when you can have 6?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.