Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Seems like nobody is buying them but there seems to be a booming market in used parts. Some of the prices I see on things Like CB radios, certain Tupperware items, etc. Makes me wonder if Parting a Wing out would bring in more money than selling it whole.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Depends on year and if you want bothered by parting out until all pieces sold.

An older wing would definitely be worth more parted out.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Everytime a bike is parted out there is one less potential customer for parts.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Im gona ride mine till there isn't anything left but a few bolts...... Nothing to worth selling by the time I am Done!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Its a big hassle having to box everything up and getting the postage right and then the buyer claiming its not what the pic said or it takes them a week to pay if they pay . And then ebay would refund them if they cryed enough . And if the bike is a good running bike it should be rode not parted out

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

you can sell say a 1980-83 1100 for 2-3grand on a really good day and if its in very good condition

you can part out one of those same bikes and get between 500-800 bucks for the fiberglass ferring, bags, ect.

even more for some of the electronics mother honda loves their parts. and price them as such.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Sadly, I think it's true. Someone posted a video recently of a gorgeous GL1200 that looked in perfect shape about to be parted out. If you have the patience to list everything out I think you'll find you'll make a lot more money than trying to sell it whole. I wish it weren't so, but the market says it is.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

If it runs and rides it is probably worth more as a whole but if it doesn't run and would take a lot of work to fix it would bring more as parts. But is it worth the hassle of shipping out a few hundred small parts? I have a bunch of parts for sale and have about been worn out driving to the post office every day for weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Around where i live old goldwings seem to be priced high. Old goldwing parts seem to be priced even higher. Sadly I don't think many bikes or parts seem to get sold.I listed my 79 dresser for $2000.Not one reply.Of course it fall hear and riding season soon over. Wilf

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Right now... I could buy a '79 'Wing with only 8K miles on it. Full Dyna ignition was put on it when it was parked 2 years ago. Has a touring seat with drivers backrest which is pretty rare for these years, and it's in excellent shape. It runs great and looks Ok.

For the $750 I can get it at, I could sell the carbs and seat, maybe some other generic stuff and come away with a 8K mile engine with a full Dyna set-up for nothing but my effort.

I've been stalling on it. I'd rather someone get it and ride it. If I get it, I'll do the above.

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

IMHO-really study E-bay! You will find certain parts are selling but, far from enough to make parting out a bike that runs and is in decent shape more profitable than selling the bike as a whole.
One thing that is influencing the decline in the value is the increasing popularity of trike conversion and the resuling drop in value of the related parts removed to do these conversions.
One can now purchase the whole package for around $250 which includes rear wheel/tire,saddle bags, rear end w/brake parts, rear suspension parts, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.