Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm considering buying the bike seen below for $800. Upon emailing the seller he revealed that he was out riding the other day and the bike overheated and "had water coming out of radiator overflow". As you can see from the picture, the bike is missing 1 side bag, presumably the trunk, and the rear tail light (not sure what's up with that). I've read/been told to check for charging problems so will bring my voltometer with me when I check the bike out tomorrow.
I am currently looking for my first project bike, so this might be perfect for that, but I'm still a little nervous I could be getting in over my head. What potential problems should I be looking for that would make $800 not worth it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
/my 85 Aspencade had water coming out of the overflow once! Fan wasn't running... bad fan switch fixed it temporarily by putting a switch across the two leads at the switch in the water pump housing. Fixed it later with a Geo Metro radiator switch.

This looks like a GL1200 and didn't include trunk or bags. If he has any bag(s) they might be aftermarket. It has an analogue dash.. So it isn't a converted Aspencade. Also there are no passenger footpegs.. looks like they were removed.

Depending on how long it has been parked you may have to:
rebuild the carbs
replace the timing belts
replace the tires
change oil and filter
remove gas and replace
new gas f8ilter

If you can handle the oil change, gas filter, carbs, timing belts and gas removal ; replacement yourself it shouldn't be too bad.

I would buy it if it was closer to me.. mileage is low, engine should be fine for another 100,000

·
Administrator
25,326 Posts
It's missing a lot more than the bags, there are mounting brackets, the trunk and rear fender and the fairing lowers etc. The tail lights are on the trunk and bags. I don't think it was a standard that had the fairing added. It might have a blown headgasket. If it starts, runs and the charging system works and has decent tires it's probably worth that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I Think the bike looks good but a lot looks missing. I would look for one that was running and not leaking fluid. I have seen good running gl1200 for under $2,000. I would offer maybe $500. if I was looking. I bought a really nice GL 1100 for $500 a few years ago , learned a lot about fixing Goldwings, got it running spent a lot of money and ended up parting it out and buying a GL 1200 ltd. I did all the work on both bikes and can fix most GL 1100 , GL 1200 and GL 1500 now but it cost money and a lot of work to fix these old bikes up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!

Looks like the guy removed (and sold) all the other baggage because he was in the process of converting it to a cafe racer before running out of time/space/money. He also said he's ridden every once in a while to keep the fluids moving and up until 3 days ago (with the overheating) never experienced any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts