Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My son and I took a trip to Mesa AZ to visit my brother in the hospital over a quick 2 days this last week.

With money tight and the price of gas the decision was easy to take the 1100, besides, what better opportunity to test the cruise control!

Let me tell you, if you do any touring at all, a cruise control is worth every penny and all the time installing it!
The Audiovox unit I put in performed great on the 900 mile ride.
Except for 2 times when the speed mysteriously dropped about 5 mph then the unit seemed to "wake up", it kept us within 3 mph of the set speed with no fluctuations or surging.

MPG didnt show any improvement over the usual, I didnt expect it anyway, although I think it might do better if I get the throttle pull on the cam instead of on the 2/4 side.

This was the best improvement to my bike since putting the GPS mount on.

The tips I got from Sandiegobrass helped alot mounting the cable and getting it dialed in properly. The settings are the same as the Rostra unit btw.
Thanks again SB

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Really glad it worked out for you. I don't know how I rode in the past with out "Auto Pilot". The throttle controls are OK but not like the real thing.

Sorry to hear about your brother, hope all turns out OK.

Regards Longboater,

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Great!! and I enjoy mine every time I ride.... now it is your turn to tell us how to get 3 1/2 barrels of MANA...:dude::waving:SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Longboater wrote:
Really glad it worked out for you.  I don't know how I rode in the past with out "Auto Pilot".  The throttle controls are OK but not like the real thing.

Sorry to hear about your brother, hope all turns out OK.

Regards Longboater,
Thanks,

He fell off a ladder, now has a herniated disk.
What really sucks though is they found cancer.
We should know more in the next couple days.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

That's really a bummer about your brother. Positive thoughts going his way. Used to think getting news like that would be no biggy until the Dr. said I needed heart surgery. Knocked the wind out of me big time.

The cruise control is an absolute necessity in my book. My brother bought a bike (Venture Royale) in an eBay auction. It was about 600 miles away so we set off two up on my GL1500. First thing he discovered was how nice it was to talk over the intercom rather than screaming at each other. Then it was his turn to drive and he said he wouldn't use the cruise because he wasn't used to the bike. Not too many miles down the road he was asking instructions how to make the cruise work. When we got to the dealership where his Yamaha was the one thing he absolutely insisted on was the cruise control had to work. It makes long rides much more painless.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

wing on amsoil wrote:
hey there i was told i could not get a cruise unless it was factory how do i find one.
Several choices.. the audiovox vacuum unit is the most popular add-on, but several of us have fitted the Rostra all electronic.. You'll probably have $150 in the audiovx and >200 in the Rostra.. HERE is the Rostra instructions that I put up for my GL1100. should be about the same for a 1200.. :waving:SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

There isnt a cruise control available from Honda for our old bikes that I'm aware of but a car type add on is easily installed.
There are also M/C type electronic after-market controls available for about 3 times the cost.

Check out this post by sandiegobrass about installing a Rostra unit.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/30381.html

(ya beat me to it SDB)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.