Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

LOL!!

I am serious, I am claustophobic with them and on another thread was talking of it which caused me to wonder. Am I once again the odd man out?

Please tell me someone else is uncomfortable when trying one on, please.......

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

No you are not the only one. I am about to get back into riding and am going to buy new gear. After trying on various styles of helmets I find the full face helmets very claustrophobic but am going to give it a try as I can see the obvious safety benefits over the open face helmets we used to have 30+ years ago. If I cannot stand the full face type then it will have to be something else.

Regards,

John S

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I can appreciate the extra protection of the full face helmets, but can't stand them. I have always ridden with a 3/4 helmet. What happens when you sneeze in a full face helmet anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You wind up cleaning them? Which is a interesting proposition with any helmet!

cbhon, I strongly recommend finding a used one to start. Helmets are too pricey to find out you cannot wear one.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I am the same ,I tried wearing a full face helmet ,I lasted about 3 miles and turned back for home ,,if I want to feel claustophobic I drive my car ,

I wear a full OPEN face helmet with a face visor which for 99% of the time is up ,I wear this helmet in all weather conditions and seasons ,and here in Ireland you can have all four seasons in the one day ,,

I have noticed here in Ireland that the majority of wingers here wear open face helmets ,,,Cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I wear a full face helmet but it's hot. I leave the visor up all the time (for air) with the exception of when it's cold (below 40F). Closing the visor really helps keep the cold wind out. I bought the type where the whole chin bar can be liftedup so I can drink water while on the road. In the summer we reach temps over 120F and I drink water while on the way home from work. The helmet has vents but with the windshield and fairings I really don't get much air so my head cooks in the full helmet.

One great feature about my helmet is, I can raise the whole chinbar and visor if I feel a sneeze coming! It may help you feel less clausto. too!

I like the safety features of the full face but may get am open face for the summer months.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Yea, Brogees, I'm the same way. I've tried different brands on at the stealerships and can't seem to be able to get them off fast enough! I can't explain the feeling I get when one of them goldfish bowls are on my head. They're definetely not for me. .lonerider.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

The only time I wear a full face is when it's just that cold out. (then again... I don't wear helmets)
I am very claustrophobic and every helmetI wear drives me crazy. I have a novelty German solders helmet that I wear now and then, but other than that it's a baseball hat.

(yes I know I'm stupid, it's my right to be):cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

Although I am a bit claustrophobic in the full face helmet, my sence of self-preservation wins the battle. Maybe when I have been riding for a few years I will change my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey brogees,

It's hard to find a full face that lets you feel like you can breath! I had one and made the mistake of selling it! It was an "Arai" very light and comfortable!

You may try a full face without the shield and wear Sunglasses (shatterproof ones)!

I like 3/4 helmets but I aloso have a 1/2 shell and a full!

I had a friend walking down an icey street with his hands in his pockets and slipped backwards, bumped his head and died! That showed me how important a Helmet is!

I know, when your number is up it's up, but that's easy to face, but being "Paralyzed" or having "Seizures" the rest of your life is hard to face!

Wear a good Helmit !

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
LOL!!

I am serious, I am claustophobic with them and on another thread was talking of it which caused me to wonder. Am I once again the odd man out?

Please tell me someone else is uncomfortable when trying one on, please.......
Why not try one of those "flipper" lids, you know the type of helmet that is full-face and you can lift the front up and make it an open face when it gets too hot in traffic etc.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I wear a pot, and only because I have to. It has the zip in and zip out lining to cover the ears for cool weather. Though I do wear a fullface on the highway when the temp drops to single digits. When I'm touring through the U.S., in the States without a helmet law, I wear a ball hat or a doily (bandana). I would have obvious problems if I didn't wear anything on my head!!!

Kyle

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

BigAl wrote:
Why not try one of those "flipper" lids, you know the type of helmet that is full-face and you can lift the front up and make it an open face when it gets too hot in traffic etc.
Hey all you Helmet muts out there have a look at this Flipper. :weightlifter: http://www.customlids.co.uk/helmets.htm just click on Nolan, it's the top of the list. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Hey I am a big fan of full face helmets.

Mind you I would be dead if I wasn't wearing one when I was younger.

The extra protection is well worth the inconvienience. I also wear glasses.

Maybe if its a real hazard you should get a flipper. I wear a Suomy. I am very happy with it, despite the racing decals.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

My research to date tells me that the flippers are considered highly unsafe if used with the front up. My reaction though when I tried a flipper in the shop was three times worse than the discomfort I experience with a simple full face.

Flippers may enter into the equation later if I can adjust to full faces, but for now there are no used ones to be found at a reasonable price to experiment with.

I managed a short ride yeserday in the cold, ~-8. I did like the wind blockage, but need to fashion myself a breath deflector to keep the visor clear, when it fogged that helmet came off very fast.

Wingdawg, I am conducting this experiment for the sake of safety. The full face is to be preferred, but if I cannot stay in it, then it has done me no good. The nervous reaction, the phobia, does impair my driving to the point where I would be safer with a beanie or a rag than a helmet.

The Bell I refelted is clearly the most comfortable I have tried, (Which makes me wonder if I would have to refelt a new one as well?), and all extraneous obstacles will be controlled once I deal with the fogging. So now we just see if I can conquer the fullface phobia. And if not, then I know I can handle a 3/4 or open face. Originally, with a visor they would give me trouble as well, but I finally managed to adjust to them so.................. we'll see.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Most new full face helmets have vents that keep the visor clear.

Mind you I have NEVER even been in -8 let alone riden in it.

Andrew

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The way I see it is you wear what you like, I'll wear what I like, we'll live and die as the number turns up. No reason to argue the merits. Now the color of your bike, that's an arguable question. Red is for fire engines. (Trolling... )

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Now the color of your bike, that's an arguable question. Red is for fire engines. :clapper:
Hey exavid, :gunhead: Your right again, :clapper: Red is for Fire Engines, they also must have the fastest :18red: colour. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing, stop buttering up to Guru's. :action::action::action::action::action::action:It does'nt suit you. Where has it got you in the past.:clapper:?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I've seen too many who died because of no helmet... it only takes one little screw-up and it could be over. Too many bad drivers out there to not wear a full-face lid.

To keep mine from fogging, I use one of those "Fog-City" visor inserts. They work like double-laminated ski goggles, and totally eliminate helmet fogging... no chemicals to wear off either. I wish helmet manufacturers would start making double-pane visors - it would eliminate fogging.

To me it's much more comfortable wearing a full-face helmet - not only protection in a crash, but it protects me from all the bugs and road debris that come my way. Mine is painted white, which keeps the temperature down in the summer and makes me more visible to the cage drivers.

I also think that it's unfair for taxpayers/or higherinsurance ratesto have to pay for long-term healthcare/disabilityfor the idiots who don't wear helmets.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.