Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our west coast meet and greet was lightly attended, and I was wondering if attendance at other meet ups across the country have also been down?

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I can't speak with a high level of certainty, but I attended Digger's UnRally in Iowa this year and I had heard that the attendance was up from previous years.

I stopped by ES9 for a short visit and it would seem as though attendance there was up slightly as well. I think it just depends......... On Many variables depending on timing and areas...... None of which will always work for everyone.

Im glad I was able to attend your event this year and was able to meet the many fine folks like yourself, it was a true pleasure.

I wish everyone would just remember...... Never let an opportunity pass.......

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Jobe05 and I were just talking of that today, I had planned on riding up for it but had to stay around to drive my grandson to school all week and this week too. I also didn't get anyone saying they wanted my Escapade and that we would meet there for the transfer of ownership! Funds are tight after the purchase of my 08 in NH and the 11,000 mile trip I took getting back here to SoCal.
One of the factors was the gas prices here in CA and Oregon.

I also wondered how many read the events page very often?

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I read it often.

Do to other events I missed most events this year.
Missed Diggers and Telico because I was still on the CA. trip.
I did make 1 night at ES9, barely, and wife drove me back and forth to do it.
In WV. again now and looks like I will miss the meet in front royal anyway this weekend as I have to get things done before Sunday.

May or may not make it to the IL. meet? I may since it is between MO.and OH. and I will probably be heading one direction or the other LOL

I did have a brief thought of making a mad dash to OR. after ES9, but that was before everything got messed up just before ES9.
Would have been great to meet you west coasters up there, then do my eastern loop I was planning.
Sometimes plans just come crashing down suddenly though, then makes you realize maybe one should not make such great plans for too much all at once and just make lot's more little trips when the time is available for each, instead of waiting to make enough time to do them all at once!

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
So many events, so little time.... :sadguy:

·
Administrator
24,358 Posts
The midwest M&G in Eureka seems to get bigger every year except maybe last year when the NASSIR event was held at the same place less than 2 months earlier. Had a good crowd anyway.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Attendance at this years Friday the 13th was as strong as ever, despite cooler temps are heavy overcast skies. The next event is in Dec so obviously attendance will be lower, but watch out for next June. Our hundred thousand plus friends will be back. Even gas prices wont scare them away (1.30/litre).

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
The depression/recession of 2008 took a big hit on many events as money and jobs got real tight. People like myself who had their retirement income just go away when the stock market crashed could not afford to go to events.

Look at NASCAR. The TV cameras have to work hard to not show stands that were once full now have empty spaces. Of course their answer to making up for the drop in attendance is to keep raising the ticket prices. Even the car sponsors have been hard to find for teams. It seems that at every race you see some cars running with bare hoods and sides.

Now that things are getting better people have found that they can survive without going to events they religiously attended for years. The hundreds of $$ they spent to attend are now being used elsewhere.

As a Ham Radio operator times have affected Ham Fest events. It used to be those events were where you got all of your gadgets, parts, radios to repair and etc. Now that it is only a very few that have equipment to work on the new modern radios the events are suffering. One used to be able to find that tube to fix your radio but todays computer driven proprietary parts are unavailable even if you have the microscope required to work on the radio.

So I offer that technology is a factor in attendance in many events. Motorcycles and all other vehicles just are not as amenable to changing parts (well excepting HDs where louder and louder exhaust systems drive accessory sales).

I attend the Frog Follies every year. It is in Evansville, Indiana and is one of the largest if not the largest pre-1948 car events in the nation. This year the weather was good, people have more money and the event was noticeably larger. I was told there were more than 4,000 cars registered for the event this year. Even there $$ is a factor.

One saw a larger Rat Rod showing. The old junk cars built out of scrap parts laying around and left rusty. No $100,000 rat rod cars with $20,000 paint jobs. Old 6 cylinder engines that one can get for nothing abound and they had crazy intake and exhaust systems built out of tubing. I was amazed at how much attention was given to rat rods that were sitting next to fantastically built cars.

I can guarantee that the Illinois Meet & Greet at Clinton Lake State Park on October 12-13. 2013 will be much bigger than it was last year.... Hope to see many of you there.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The Davis Rally, held the weekend after Labor Day in New Hampton IA, has had dropping numbers for quite a few years. A combination of aging bikers and rising fees.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I can't speak for non-Steve Saunders events but numbers don't matter if you meet up with even one new or good friend as is so often the case with this forum.

I had a better time with a half a dozen memebrs in Front Royal than I have ever had in Port Dover with a turn out of over 100,000.

It is true that turnout can be a reflection of the economy but the knife can slice two ways.

If the economy is bad you can't afford to go and if it's too good you can't get the time off. :?

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Mrs Ona and I were fortunate to make the trip to Simcoe for NASSIR 6 . I think it was about 30 bikes . Folks from far and near all there to enjoy the friendships and take in sights of new places.
Large groups may show lots of interest in the event . Smaller groups provide more individual visiting .
IF your close to one ITs a wonderful way to meet new folks . If your not close to one ,well maybe you could start one in your area . IT could be as simple as a half day ride day ride from various places to a central lunch point .

Its about the ride and the fine folks we meet along the way . I dare say ones better than another . They are all special in there own way .

Ride and enjoy the breeze .

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I can't speak for non-Steve Saunders events but numbers don't matter if you meet up with even one new or good friend as is so often the case with this forum.

I had a better time with a half a dozen memebrs in Front Royal than I have ever had in Port Dover with a turn out of over 100,000.

It is true that turnout can be a reflection of the economy but the knife can slice two ways.

If the economy is bad you can't afford to go and if it's too good you can't get the time off. :?
But what if the numbers did matter?

What draws the Masses to events? Aside from the obvious "People", what has to be at these events to draw people to them?

I ask because based on some of the events that I have been to, there is no rhyme or reason to what draws the most people, or very few. Some events are at Hotels/ motels like Eureka Springs and I see that event getting larger and larger each year (over the past couple of years that I have been here). Yet I was at Diggers Ride which was held at a campgrounds that was getting swallowed up by the over flowing Mississippi river, yet the crowd of people that were there was great as well....... Then I have been to some that just don't get that many people showing up. The eastern M&G that you attended, had the most attendees the first year it was held than the past 2 years...... Why? The camp grounds I don't think is set up the best for bathrooms and showers, along with water and electric for those who want it, but other than that, it's cheap, hotels nearby for those who want, some of the best riding and scenery around............

so is it the timing of the year? week end or week day? Hotel or camping? plastic spork and a napkin or silverware and linens?

What Draws the Masses?? Again..... If numbers count, what draws the numbers?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
But what if the numbers did matter?

What draws the Masses to events? Aside from the obvious "People", what has to be at these events to draw people to them?

I ask because based on some of the events that I have been to, there is no rhyme or reason to what draws the most people, or very few. Some events are at Hotels/ motels like Eureka Springs and I see that event getting larger and larger each year (over the past couple of years that I have been here). Yet I was at Diggers Ride which was held at a campgrounds that was getting swallowed up by the over flowing Mississippi river, yet the crowd of people that were there was great as well....... Then I have been to some that just don't get that many people showing up. The eastern M&G that you attended, had the most attendees the first year it was held than the past 2 years...... Why? The camp grounds I don't think is set up the best for bathrooms and showers, along with water and electric for those who want it, but other than that, it's cheap, hotels nearby for those who want, some of the best riding and scenery around............

so is it the timing of the year? week end or week day? Hotel or camping? plastic spork and a napkin or silverware and linens?

What Draws the Masses?? Again..... If numbers count, what draws the numbers?
Numbers don't count if we're just talking about fun.

They do start counting as they rise. If 5 - 10 people show up and want to go to a restaurant you can usually find a spot and sit together. If 20-25 people show up commitments have to be made hours in advance or the group gets broken up. If you have 100 people you start looking at banquet halls and have to book weeks in advance. Moneys have to be collected in advance so you need a bookkeeper etc.

Larger numbers create the possibility of discount room rates and special concessions.

Trying to pin down the key elements is like trying to pick a winner on the stock market.

Cost is a big one. Not everyone can or wants to throw $150-$200 a day for a room and few meals and some don't like to or can't camp.

Weather can do a last minute boom or bust.

I think drawing cards make a big difference be it a person or activity.

Then there are the wild cards both good and bad.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
With more events happening every year, we can't make them all :lash:

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I have been to a couple of gatherings that have included, from the host a meal of some sort. Which I think is a great idea, but how much of a meal does one plan on when the group size is unknown? I know what draws me to some of these events and I would admit that people is one of the draws, however price is paramount for me...... What are these few days going to cost me? $200? $400? $2000? It matters to me.

Not sure weather has a huge impact. I went to the Motocampers gathering in Tellico this summer and rode in the worst rainstorm I had ever rode in (or should I say, couldn't ride in), to get there. When I arrived people were already there and they continued to come even though it rained every day that weekend, and I beleive it to was a record crowd for a growing annual event.

Halfling is planning N7. How does John commit to dinning plans, room reservations $$, recreation items when the head count, a year away, is unknown??

So I guess my question would be, If I (or anyone) plans an event in the future, and I want to plan on 100 people coming (+-a few) How do I plan to assure, that 100 people will be there?

is it ...........

Cost?
weather?
Location?
Timeing?
Attendees?
Food?
Hotel or Camp?
Rides?
Time of year?

·
Premium Member
55,607 Posts
Interesting question, I think there were more people at the last M/G in Fortuna..
I would have thought with all the new folks coming on board from Oregon and Washington, there'd have been a larger group this year..

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I have been to a couple of gatherings that have included, from the host a meal of some sort. Which I think is a great idea, but how much of a meal does one plan on when the group size is unknown? I know what draws me to some of these events and I would admit that people is one of the draws, however price is paramount for me...... What are these few days going to cost me? $200? $400? $2000? It matters to me.

Not sure weather has a huge impact. I went to the Motocampers gathering in Tellico this summer and rode in the worst rainstorm I had ever rode in (or should I say, couldn't ride in), to get there. When I arrived people were already there and they continued to come even though it rained every day that weekend, and I beleive it to was a record crowd for a growing annual event.

Halfling is planning N7. How does John commit to dinning plans, room reservations $$, recreation items when the head count, a year away, is unknown??

So I guess my question would be, If I (or anyone) plans an event in the future, and I want to plan on 100 people coming (+-a few) How do I plan to assure, that 100 people will be there?

is it ...........

Cost?
weather?
Location?
Timeing?
Attendees?
Food?
Hotel or Camp?
Rides?
Time of year?
The only guarantees are death and taxes.

If you have to personally guarantee a restaurant a couple of thousand dollars in hopes of 100 people showing up you have limited choices.

1) Collect the money in advance, non-refundable. Possibly cause some friction.

2) Overbook like the airlines do and turn away the latecomers. Again hurt feelings or worse.

3) Make the event invitational like a wedding, only inviting people you know are able to keep commitments. Again, those not invited may take offense.

If you look at the various NASSIRs and count the number of people posting about coming and compare that to the number that were actually able to attend you will see the magnitude of the problem.

Some had family problems, some paperwork issues, bike problems, job changes. No one thing.

In my case a recent medical event makes travel outside of Canada a financial risk. Until I can get insurance coverage for the situation I'm grounded. My plans changed overnight.

You have listed many of the other factors.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Thanks for sticking with me here Nobbie and sorry to hear of your health problem. Your feedback makes one think........

I know my questions seem like a broken record but when I re-read what I write, I think of Harley groups, That group of Zoom Splats in NYC, the Valkyrie meets that Dubswing posted about a while ago.

Lets take the HD guys........ Go by any dealership Thursday through Saturday, Any dealership, and it is jammed! 200 - 300 bikes every night. I see Harley riders in groups of 60+ all the time. Why?

My son goes to VW meets a couple of times a year where literally thousands can show up from every where in the country. Why?

Last weekend I met NCAspenWing at Wings over NC. There were a couple hundred bikes there, nice people, but I would bet that Larry and I were the only two there that knew about Nassir events, or any local meet & Greets. (Maybe a table there would have beem a good idea for Halfling & Dubs...... Hindsight, 20/20....)........

I would love to see 2 or 300 hundred Goldwings going down the road.......... what a sight that would be......

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Thanks for sticking with me here Nobbie and sorry to hear of your health problem. Your feedback makes one think........

I know my questions seem like a broken record but when I re-read what I write, I think of Harley groups, That group of Zoom Splats in NYC, the Valkyrie meets that Dubswing posted about a while ago.

Lets take the HD guys........ Go by any dealership Thursday through Saturday, Any dealership, and it is jammed! 200 - 300 bikes every night. I see Harley riders in groups of 60+ all the time. Why?

My son goes to VW meets a couple of times a year where literally thousands can show up from every where in the country. Why?

Last weekend I met NCAspenWing at Wings over NC. There were a couple hundred bikes there, nice people, but I would bet that Larry and I were the only two there that knew about Nassir events, or any local meet & Greets. (Maybe a table there would have beem a good idea for Halfling & Dubs...... Hindsight, 20/20....)........

I would love to see 2 or 300 hundred Goldwings going down the road.......... what a sight that would be......
I'd be the Goldwing heading the other way because I don't do rides.

Unless you're the lead horse the view never changes.

Maybe Wingers are a different breed, lone wolves, that don't need to hold hands at the local coffee shop or bar pretending to be badazzes or rocket jocs, worrying if we have the right accessories to impress the crowd.

Maybe we don't need to let people know via loud pipes that we're coming because we don't need the attention or recognition. We're OK with what we are.

To me the best travel companions are blue skies, good roads and the smell of the forests. When by chance I meet up with like minded people it's heaven.

No offence meant to those that see it differently.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.