Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the fuel pump on my '82 GL1100 Interstate. The new pump came with the plastic spacers that go between the pump and the neck and that go between the neck and the cylinder head. In doing so, I tore the thin gasket going from the 'neck' and cylinder head. The plastic spacer is fine. I've assembled without the gasket but with just the plastic spacer. The assembly between the pump and the neck have both spacer and gasket. Do I risk any damage by not having that particular gasket? The old pump has that spacer intact with the gasket that I could swap if need be. Am I safe??

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
You risk an oil leak.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed that that particular plastic spacer did not have a gasket on it (the other does). Would I be safe with a thin film of 'form-a-gasket' (or similar) at that joining? Or... I have gasket material that I could cut my own.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
A little sealer should be fine.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,130 Posts
you do NOT want so much sealer on the surfaces, that it will spill over inside the intakes, or other parts of the engine.

a "thin smear" means just that. 1 or 2 thousandths thick.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you do NOT want so much sealer on the surfaces, that it will spill over inside the intakes, or other parts of the engine.

a "thin smear" means just that. 1 or 2 thousandths thick.
Got it. Off it comes tomorrow for a thin smear. Thanks all.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts