Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi - I have just purchased a 2012 Goldwing (in Canada). The salesman tried to interest me (unsuccessfully at this time) in the Honda extended protection plan for it. Cost for an extra 4 yrs on top of the 3 yr warranty is $1,784. That equates to about $450/yr for the extra 4 years. Does anybody recommend getting one of these plans, or are they not worth it? Being new to the Goldwing world, I do not know much about their long term reliability or repair costs.
Would appreciate some comments. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I would say it comes down to your use. You are buying a Motorcycle that is pretty much trouble free. However if you are planning on putting on huge mileage you might consider it, all things do wear out. Keep to your maintenance schedule, that is the most important thing and keep your oil clean.:?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

:shock:I paid $450.00 for four years in 2005 and was worth it.

For way over a $1,000.00 I would really have to think hard about it and then decline.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I paid $800.00 in 09 and I feel if I do not need it , it will give me peace of mind.

The long term reliability is the best possible. the repair cost is Astronomical

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

I bought it at the last minute before the factory warranty expired because I do put on a lot of miles, should have well over 200,000 before it runs out. For the price I paid for it just 1 major failure like an alternator or starter especially on the road it will be worth it. For $1784 I would have chanced not having it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

If you want it, forget the dealer.

Go online and buy it direct from Honda.

For me, even on a retirement check, I think I would buy the insurance from
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1120&str=4

and quit worrying about it.

About 60 days from now, you will have forgotten about the cost of the warranty, but you will also be sleeping a whole lot easier.

The new bikes from any manufacturer have a lot of electronics. Just ask Flyone about his bike. He got it in May and it needs an audio module. Of course only being a few months old, it is warranteed anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
You don't have to buy it now.  But you can buy it on-line for about $499, and it's the same as the dealer is trying to rip you for.:shock:

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1120&str=4

Gene:action:
Looks like Gene has a pretty good idea, however will Canada honor a US plan? If you are located on the boarder, this maybe another option.

My plan from the dealer was shockingly low of 250 for a 750 retail plan for a total of 7 years unlimited mileage with a purchase of the new 07 model. (This is not the norm) (Southern Honda Sports, Chattanooga, TN)

As a rule I do not purchase extended warranty plans as they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yes indeed, I am in Canada, and blown away by the price difference you can get in the states. $499 on line, v. $1,795 in Canada!!! The Direct Line offering says that it is only for the USA, so my next question is, does anyone in Canada know if there is a similar on line offering up here which would be a better buy than getting ripped off by a Honda dealer here?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Couple things for you.

Are you aware that the electronics are only warrantied for 12 months not the 3 years the rest of the bike is warrantied for? Check and see how long this extended plan covers your electronics.

I can't speak on how these warranties work in Canada but as an ex service manager for a big 3 auto dealership the prices of the extended warranties ARE negotiable - see how much less they will take for it. Tell them you don't think you want it because you found another option for $600 and see what they say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.