Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently bought what was described as a 1999 GL1500SE. The advert listed it as a "50th Anniversary" motorcycle. The title clearly says 1999 as the model yesr, but after I got it home, I looked carefully at the tank badge, and it says 50th Anniversary 1948-1998. So, is the bike really a '98, a late production '98 that was titled as a '99, or could it be an early production '99? The bike is in great shape, only 25,000 miles & beautiful paint & whatnot, but I'm curious as to why the discrepancy.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Check the manufacturer's plate on the right hand side of the steering head. It tells you what year it is and the month it was manufactured.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

I purchased a new 1999 Gold Wing SE in April, 1999. They are badged as the 50th Anniversary. There is one badge on the chrome panel above the headlight, one badge on the trunk lid and a 50th Anniversary Gold Wing emblem on the ignition key panel.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

When I get back home, I'll check the plate on the steering head & see what's there.
DBohrer - it sounds as if you have the same thing as I. Does your plate say 1999?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

It's a 99. That's the way all 99s are labeled.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

my goldwing is titled 85, the frame plate says 84, but the engine has all characteristics of the 85, like the starter, pulse generators at the front...

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

usually the model year runs from sept of the previous year to august of the next year, so a vehicle from 9/84 would be technically a 1985 model.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

NevadaDave wrote:
When I get back home, I'll check the plate on the steering head & see what's there.
DBohrer - it sounds as if you have the same thing as I. Does your plate say 1999?
Yes, it is 1999.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

OK, I won't wait to get home - it's a '99!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I just recently bought a 1998 SE with the 50th logo's in all the places the 1999 are located. It has the 1998 colors. When buying the bike I did a EBay search for 1998 50th and found three, 2 in Australia and 1 in England. I can see changing the logo in most places but the trunk logo looks factory. So what do I have?

·
Premium Member
20,619 Posts
imported post

1948???? Must have been a stealth GW! :D

Bruce, you can take your VIN to a Honda dealer and they can give you all the info you want about the bike including service history of recalls.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

pogoism9 wrote:
usually the model year runs from sept of the previous year to august of the next year, so a vehicle from 9/84 would be technically a 1985 model.
Both my running '83's were made in July of '82. Quite early on, I thought...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.