Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With my other bike I never had a problem with the petcock leaking. Is it a common issue? If so why?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

On the 1500s, the gas shutoff valve is vacuum operated.

So, if the vacuum diaphragm gets a hole in it, the fuel pump is going to push fuel thru the hole, and it will overflow into that little plastic tray around the fuel tank cap.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

They're a lot like us flw. Yes they are fixable. More so than we. They require new rubber parts. A kit. Our plumbing requires a bit more work. They are only machines.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I was thinking of the manual petcocks found on other bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah i believe its only a big oring is basically all it is take it apart and clean it and that will probably fix it

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So is the petcock a common item to fail on motorcyles that have been properly maintanined out of the elements?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Most other motorcycles have gravity feed fuel systems. No pressure on the fueal system. Since these bikes use a fuel pump, There is more pressure on the petcock. Add firing up the bike with the petcock turned off too many times and the suction pressure will sooner or later pull gas out of that closed petcock. At least that's my somewhat logical way of seeing it.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Anything mechanical or electrical at some point will fail due to the wear and tear of age.

It is not a common issue to the wing, but anything at some point will fail.

Like I tell my mother. If you live long enough you will get every health problem known to man, because we wear out also:cheeky1:

We are in fact electromechanical devices are we not?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In response to the original question, no. Petcocks shouldn't leak. Manual, vacuum or electrical petcocks shouldn't leak.Over time the rubber parts harden and wear and the petcocks will eventually leak. Replacement parts are the answer. For the 1000 and 1100, Randakk has a good repair kit. For the 1500 the parts are getting harder to come by. If I still had my 1500 and it's vacuum petcock began to leak I would have replaced it with a 12V fuel solenoid.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Yes, all of my older petcocks started leaking. Yamaha's were the worst with Honda being the best so far.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Dookoo wrote:
Yamaha's were the worst...

Been my experience as well. For whatever reason, be it in the Physical World or that one based in Karma somewhere, if a Yamaha is left to sit outside for any lengthy periodof time with the petcock left undisturbed in any position, gar-un-teed like the Sun rising should you change its setting it will start to leak.

Just about anyone else has something better. Just one of those things to be expected with old Yammy's.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

to answer the original question, yes it is common for them to leak. The next answer is No, they shouldn't (obviously. lol) Just normal wear will cause everything to break down eventually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.