Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Everyone claims their gas keeps the engine 'clean'. Whats up with this Nitrogen Gasoline, from Shell? Any one know?

If there is a thread, on this already, just point me to it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I live not too far from a fuel depot located in SC and I watch all these trucks lined up to deliver fuel to all sorts of fuel stations. I wondered how all the BP, Shell, etc. differed from each other if it cme from the same depot. A friend of mine told me that when the fuel is delivered, a packet is dopped into the underground tank. I know this may not be related to the subject but I also am curious about all these additives especially as I am starting to see free ethanol stations.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

No most likely not anything on this as it is new.

What it is basically is a new detergent additive added to the gas to clean valves, injectors and so on on vehicles.

I have long always if possible used shell gas in any fuel injected motor as they have always put additives into the gas to keep the fuel injectors clean. This new so called nitrogen gas, is simply a new kind of detergent additive that is supposed to clean the components of the engine.

Does it? Dunno, I use shell gas when I can, as it is supposed to have additives in it to keep fuel injectors clean.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Kit

That is interesting as I have often gone out of my way to use a Chevron station for the Techrolene (sp?). Not sure if any of it is really advantagous or just good marketing.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
Kit

That is interesting as I have often gone out of my way to use a Chevron station for the Techrolene (sp?). Not sure if any of it is really advantagous or just good marketing.
Well I have never known for sure, but both Chevron and Shell are supposed to have additives in it to keep injectors clean.

It does seem to smell more like gas, ever notice that? Some gas will give you that rotten smell especially in a closed garage if you start the vehicle up for a bit just before you open the door. You can smell the gas. Just always to me seemed to be a bit cleaner. Smell right and give better gas mileage. (of course a mis-tuned engine can cause that too)

As does Aamco............they have a tiger in the tank. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
imported post

My father in law says that his car uses more of the cheaper fuel and it ends up costing teh same or more as the more expensive name brand fuel.
As said earlier. I live next to teh depot and they supply exxon, BP, Mobil and the GAS gast station around the corner from my home.
The GAS gas station is always 15 cents cheaper and 20 on wednsdays.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
imported post

hey my truck gets 9MPG.So i really cant tell the difference cause its just plain old bad...lol...bikes on the other hand i usually stick with Hess.Seems to run best off of it for some reason

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

If you can make sense of your question go to wikipedia. At best I could only get 2 things from it. It is a basic compound of ammonia and it will suppress fire.

Now you can go to www.refdesk.com, then wikipedia and make up your own mind. I think it is another one of those gimmicks they use in ads seeing as how nitrogen is a naturally occuring element that make up air.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

litfuse wrote:
  If you can make sense of your question go to wikipedia. At best I could only get 2 things from it. It is a basic compound of ammonia and it will suppress fire.

Now you can go to www.refdesk.com, then wikipedia and make up your own mind. I think it is another one of those gimmicks they use in ads seeing as how  nitrogen is a naturally occuring element that make up air.
Do I detect a "non believer" of marketing hype :D

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

My testing (of gasoline/mpg) is extensive. I log all 4 or my vehicles (always a fillup). Ranger, F350-dually, GL1000 and '76 Supersport. I've logged every fillup for years, using all gasolines at all prices. The only variasions I've seen had to do with how I drive, the terrain and the wind (headwind/tailwind).

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
imported post

I'm no chemist by any means but one thing I remember from high school is that Nitrogen is an Inert gas, ie; it don't do anything!! Therefore,,, Methinks this be Snake Oil!!!!!

Unless they've came up with a different Nitrogen??!!!!! :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Just remember people. You've been "burning" oxygen and nitrogen in every internal combustion engine you've ever owned... It's called "Air". :)

I've never had a use for marketing or PR people... They always tell you "sure, we got that"... And then the guys that actually "do" the work have to try and come up with it. :headbanger:

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I picked up a pamplet from Shell, and it says that It is a unique patented improved formula designed to SEEK and DESTROY enging gunk. It also acts as a barrier to help keep your engine clean and protect it from preformance robbing gunk even better than before. It helps improve engine preformance as you drive, has been extensively tested, clocking more than a half million miles, covering a wide range of engines and vehicles, conventional, modern, and hybrid engines.The 89 grade has the lowest amount, the mid range has a little more added, and the 93 octaine Vpower contains the highest concentration for maximum engine protection, and destroys gunk buildup even faster than any other Shell Gasoline to maintain peak preformance.
Nightrider1

Addition:
Shell claims that its nitrogen-enriched gasoline cleans better than before and protects better against engine buildup. Of note, all three grades of gasoline will contain the nitrogen-enriched detergents, with its V-Power premium grade containing five times the government-mandated amount. The results are fewer intake deposits, cleaner combustion chambers, and less fuel injector fouling and intake valve sticking.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I wondered how much of snake oil it was myself.

We use Marathon. They advertise a STP additive. At least thats something I'm familular with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.