Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In my search for a replacement bike, I came across this ad. It says it is an 1984 Interstate GL1100. I thought 1984 was 1200? Were there 1100's in 1984? Can someone tell by the picture what this is? Honda front end Vetter bags. Wheels?

Thanks

Dennis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Its an 1100, and its not even an 83 one. The 1983 went to 11 spoke alloy wheels. The 1200 has alloy wheels as well. Quite often people buy a particular Wing brand new the following year (you can still buy new 04s), but that 1100 is pushing the bounds of believability trying to pass as a 1984 GL1200!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

It looks exactly like the 1981 GL1100 that I used to have.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

what is really amazing is the vetter saddlebags and tail trunk... but it sure looks like a hondaline fairing on the front and comstar wheels from honda

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

It is not a 1200 but it is a sharp looking bike, :dude:Can you get a good deal on it?

:12red::cooldj:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree, it's a nice looking 1100 that might have some different plastic. Might be a good deal if the owner ever realizes he doesn't have an 84 1200.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

From what I can see from the picture, it is pretty much stock. It came that way in 81. The bags and farring are Vetter and the windshield should have little round vent holes. The seat is a Honda line seat and it is pretty comfortable; much better than the stock one that came on my 85. I now have a TravelCade seat on my 85. The bike is geared great. It has more get up and go than my 85. The color is not black, but it is more of a midnight blue. You can see it properly in certain light, otherwise it looks black. They did have problems with the swingarm caps staying in, other than that it is a great bike. If I can find a picture of mine, I will post it.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

The fearing looks like a stock honda line to me. To bad the motorcycle manufactures put vetter out of business. His stuff was GOOD looking!!

I would rather have a vetter windjammer5 with lowers and matching bags,travel trunk then the honda stuff i have now:cheeky1:

Pat

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The description has to be a typo. I mean unl;ess the owner is blind or just dumb and can't read the GL1100 on the bikes badges and on the rocker covers. :?

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
The description has to be a typo. I mean unl;ess the owner is blind or just dumb and can't read the GL1100 on the bikes badges and on the rocker covers. :?
Hey Ted:waving:Or maybe he intended to put in the blunder, it sure got him a lot of extra looks here , dumb like a fox:stumped:

:12red::cooldj:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
englishted wrote:
Hey Ted:waving:Or maybe he intended to put in the blunder, it sure got him a lot of extra looks here , dumb like a fox:stumped:
Good point!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Hey guys definetly is not a 1984-looks like a 1982 GL1100 for sure

thanks CRAIGA

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Looks like a very well done Standard that has been dressed. The Interstate would have had Hondaline bags, trunk and engine guards. The Comstars and single piston brake caliper seem to make it an '81. Very well done with the Vetter luggage group.

Jack

1982 GL1100I OE

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

In '81 there was a super dark blue called blue-black. My fairig on my black '83 is an '81 blue-black. Hard to tell a difference in the two from not too far away. What really gives it away is the different colored stripe from '81 to '83.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
The fearing looks like a stock honda line to me. To bad the motorcycle manufactures put vetter out of business. His stuff was GOOD looking!!

I would rather have a vetter windjammer5 with lowers and matching bags,travel trunk then the honda stuff i have now:cheeky1:

Pat
vetter... what a concept

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Thats a nice looking GL1000. Only thing I didn't like about Vetter was the weight, but for the technology at the time it was fine stuff.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Looks like a very well done Standard that has been dressed. The Interstate would have had Hondaline bags, trunk and engine guards. The Comstars and single piston brake caliper seem to make it an '81.
jackjohn is spot on - the front caliper is the dead give-away. Dressed up '81.

hossners

'81 GL1100 Interstate SE

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

To all the folks that said 1981, you are correct. The owner sent me an email and was very defensive. He indicated that it was his bike but his girlfriend told him it was an '84. I own 2 bikes, and it pretty easy to remember what year they are. Anyway I'm stuck in El Paso Texas this week, no bike and absolutely beautiful riding weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.