Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Gl1100
Driving home from work. All of a sudden loss of engine power. Not all but about half. The bike can limp but i cannot get higher than about 3k rpm in gear. I can fet about 40 mph max. I thought it was a fule issue with a seal on the gas cap. I removed it. Same result.
Any ideas what the issue may be? And should i ride it?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Are the fluid levels ok re: engine oil , coolant ?
Is it making any expensive noises or backfiring etc.?

When was the timing belt , fuel filter , air filter etc. last changed ?

Need more info.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Also getting the bike to go from a stop requires a higher rev and it chatters like i am starting in second gear. But it will go. When i switch to second it feels similar. Like i am in third and rolling too slow.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

New oil filter, air filter, fresh oil. Oil level good. Belts were changed 10k miles ago. They looked good when covers were off last month.
It did backfire wj
When i slowed down. Not loud bangs. Low whumps.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

New fyel filter installed last week. No leaks. Over 200 miles on it. The bike tickled the hihg temp level a short while bfore power loss. I was in traffic for about 15 min. As soon as i hit a straightaway temp dropped. I stopped at a coworkers house for about 15 min. Then drove out of the neighborhood and lost power.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Coolant is below the low line. There is about an inch in the bottom which is an inch low. Is this a sign of overheating?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

as long as it aint smoking or anything like that im sure u can limp it home but use your best judgement diagnosing on the road like this isnt the way to tackle the problem

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Made it home. Nervous all the way, like if the timing belts are going to snap. I will take all ideas on what to look for first.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

had the same issue last yr on a ride on my 79 1000. rode out about 15 miles turned around and started to lose power limped home bike would go about 30 mph max.
Turned out to be the rresistors in the plug boots gone bad. Have you had the wires off the plugs latley. That could be part of problem
Wilf

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you haven't replaced the plug wires and caps, do so. You should be able to pick up bulk wire, 6', at a local bike shop and NGK makes replacement caps. Cost me @ $30 2 years ago.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Was the bike in rain or have you had a lot of humidity lately?
That will find its way into cracked plug wires or caps.
Also check the drain holes below the plugs in the head. If water collects in there it will ground the spark out.

·
Administrator
26,298 Posts
imported post

You have probably lost half your ignition system, either a spark unit or a coil or plug wires or caps. Pull the plug wires off 1 side of the engine and snap some extra plugs in them if you have them or pull 2 plugs and use them. Put the plugs against metal and crank the engine over and look if they both spark.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

drones76 , while checking the plugs/resistors i would think that replacing the cables and connectors with newer resistor cables and resistor plugs , you should be ok.
Maby some 1100 guys can get in here .?
Im assuming that the ole 1100 had solid core spark cables and non resistent plugs and used the resistor cap as a ballast.? I suggest that installing newer style composite wires and appropriate plugs should work fine .?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Ok interesting. We did get caught in the rain for about 15 minutes on Sunday. I took a short ride, 15 miles yesterday and then went about 35 miles today(25 to work and about 10 on the way home) when the problem arose. I will check for spark.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
You have probably lost half your ignition system, either a spark unit or a coil or plug wires or caps. Pull the plug wires off 1 side of the engine and snap some extra plugs in them if you have them or pull 2 plugs and use them. Put the plugs against metal and crank the engine over and look if they both spark.
No spark on #1 and #2. Nice fat blue spark on #3 and #4.

·
Administrator
26,298 Posts
imported post

drones76 wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
No spark on #1 and #2. Nice fat blue spark on #3 and #4.
There ya go, now you jst have to find out why. Switch the connectors for the spark units and see if the spark goes to 3&4.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

dave is correct either a bad spark module happend to me and then the coil fried after i replaced the spark module that was bad,

also check the ground for the coil its the bolt make sure the frame is clean along with the metal end on the coil.

·
Administrator
26,298 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
also check the ground for the coil its the bolt make sure the frame is clean along with the metal end on the coil.
That is not a ground for the coils, they don't have to be grounded, it just happens to be on the coil mount. It is the main ground for the wiring harness and is very important, in fact I believe it is the most important part of the electrical system so it is a good idea to check and clean it when you have the false tank off.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

oh i thought itwas the coil ground hmmmmm learn somethin new ever day my problem was that the bike wasnt running on all 4 and cleaned the connection and voila it fix it didnt know it was the main ground for the whole system pretty cool dave my hats off to ya

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thank you so much for the concise t-shooting. I have to give the little CB a tune up tonight. Someone is coming to look at it tomorrow. I will followup on this thread when I have tested the components.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.