Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I too am a newbie and have been poking around to see if this has come up. Havent seen it so here goes my question
I am looking at buying an 83 GL1100. It has 64k on the engine. When I engage the clutch from a stand still it makes a rattling noise like there are a handfull of nuts in the tranmition. It stops when the transmition is engaged and doesn't happen with any other gears. It also seemed to do it a little less after the bike warmed up.
So my question is.. does this sound like the clutch, or tranny? If it is the clutch, how hard is that to do yourself? Are there any gotchas?
I never have done anything like this with a bike before, but I have swapped a few clutches on front drive cars.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum trazzo! :waving:

Ithink you are probably describing the sound of the primary chain! The primary chain does make some noise when the engine is being lugged a little. Mine does and I have heard this question often. It is pretty normal for these bikes to make that sound. The best cure for it is to synchronize the carbs and see if it helps. I just give mine a little more gas when first taking off so it doesn't lug!

Bob :11grey:

P.S. It's harmless to the bike. Just sounds bad!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

trazzo wrote:
Thanks, I'll go get it tomorrow!
Marty
It's quite common to have a handful of nuts in the transmission on these bikes. (just kidding), Bob's right in that the primary chain rattle isn't unusual in any of the four cylinder Wings.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Your carbs may need balanced. If they get out of balance it can make the rattle and grunt sound louder.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Trazzo. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Definitely sounds like hyvochain rattle and the boys are right in saying that balancing the carbs ggoes a long way to curing this problem.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hi trazzo, welcome to the board. That noise is commmon on the GL1100 when out of synch. For some reason it doesn't happen wioth the GL1200, maybe Honda improved teh chain on the later bikes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It isn't exactly non-existent on the 1200s either.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

If it's a sync issue, why does it happen only when the bike is cold? Why does it happen on my bike, which is not supposed to have sync issues with a single carb? Hmmmmm.

Mine acts like slippage when it happens, and only happens in first gear, and the bike is still in the early stages of cold. Never when warmed up.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

So Raymond, What kind of carb setup do you have? My '85 1200 needs the carbs re-balanced and it growls more after it warms up. Mostly while I'm letting the clutch out, but also if I lug the engine down and give it much gas.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

My 1100 has always had the chain rattle on takeoff if the engine is lugged, warm or cold It is just easier to cause when cold. I find that keepingthe carbsproperly synched and the idle set at about 1000 rpm goes a long way toward less embarrassing takeoffs.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Got the Cycle Innovations carb from the guy that started an MSN message group for Goldwings. Both he and the company have since passed on. It's a Holley one-barrel on a cast aluminum manifold.

Flame on if you like, all I know is the bike runs great now, and it's a whole lot less hassle. I'd rather ride than have to fix.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Got the Cycle Innovations carb from the guy that started an MSN message group for Goldwings. Both he and the company have since passed on. It's a Holley one-barrel on a cast aluminum manifold.

Flame on if you like, all I know is the bike runs great now, and it's a whole lot less hassle. I'd rather ride than have to fix.

Raymond
I will be interested in knowing how it works out in the curves, warming up, milage, and in the longrun. Keep us posted Raymond:coollep:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Well, I've had a few hickups with it, mainly dirt getting into the carb and clogging up a jet. I am running 2 inline filters now, and so far no problems.

I never had the 4 carbs to run right for very long, so I don't have a performance basis. I like the way it runs, sounds good, did make it up to 110 mph in high altitude. Plugs all are now burning the same. I am not an aggressive driver, so the curve test will have to wait, but haven't had too much trouble with that.

Mileage, with the big sail of a windscreen I got 35-39 mpg consistently, changed to a small windshield and got 43 mpg on the freeway once. Slow speed cruising back to 38-39 mpg. It's not the miles per gallon I am worried about, plenty of smiles per gallon to make up for it.

I've put around 14,000 miles on the carb.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I am glad it is working out for you. Sometimes simpler is better but if you are happy, that is what counts.:clapper::clapper::clapper:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.