Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
it has been very worrying to me also.

maybe we need to write up a newsletter like Scott does at GoldwingDocs....

would you volunteer to try that?
anyone that has an interest willing to be a newsletter editor?

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
GoldwingDocs is even slower (less activity) than goldwingfacts.

Is the low activity level just a reflection of it not being riding season so people are not writing trip reports or asking for help since their bikes are sitting idle?
As much as I would like to agree, GoldwingDocs has 31 new posts dated 1/5/2019

I always access all forums with "New Posts" since my last time.

Historically though, this website has slowed down every winter....
it is also a fact that this website leans heavier towards Technical Help, rather than just gossip relating to our hobby.

and that has for the last few years, caused our posting rates to be slower than other websites.....

the Fun Forum used to be our heaviest forum.. I have not looked at it in months, so know how that is doing. ( 6 new posts 1/5/2019 )
FWIW, I only read this one and GoldwingDocs....

and my Linux forum which is very busy, but it covers such a broad depth of different versions of Linux, and new people coming to Linux everyday, asking help in the "Newbies Forum" where they don't know how to access the site, and put their questions into the proper forums. That forum has had 91 new posts asking for Technical help in the last 3 hours.... I always hit the "Mark All Read" when I am through....

But, a heavy tech forum like Linux is non-seasonal..... it always seems to be busy.

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
face space , tweetering, and the like I expect take some of the traffic from the forum pages.

If information/questions are posting on those types of media , I don't and will not see it . I refuse to join/use that type of service.

My wife does use one of those, but she does not belong/use any forums.

The few other Goldwing forums I frequent all seem slow.

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
face space , tweetering, and the like I expect take some of the traffic from the forum pages.

If information/questions are posting on those types of media , I don't and will not see it . I refuse to join/use that type of service.

Amen brother, social media is a bad joke IMHO. I do think a lot of our former members have gone that route. Probably because of more instant answers, right or wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
This is not a new happening. Been thinking the same thing recently. I used to spend at least an hour every day reading and posting in new threads. Now I find if I spend 5 minutes it is a long time and I rarely respond anymore. Faceless book? Me neither. RIP

·
Registered
133 Posts
It would help if the posts didn’t take so long to appear, I posted one 12 hours ago & it’s still not visible, good job it’s not urgent help required.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As much as I would like to agree, GoldwingDocs has 31 new posts dated 1/5/2019

I always access all forums with "New Posts" since my last time.

Historically though, this website has slowed down every winter....
it is also a fact that this website leans heavier towards Technical Help, rather than just gossip relating to our hobby.

and that has for the last few years, caused our posting rates to be slower than other websites.....
How do you find the new posts on Goldwingdocs? After some fighting with the search it told me there were 78 posts in the last day but the search function that listed 4 pages would only show the first page (24 posts) and 14 of them were offers to sell "valid documents" buy real or fake drivers licenses and passports.

If I look at the GL1200 forum, the reply count is very low per post with 30 out of 40 having fewer than 10 replies. Only 1 post had more than 20 replies (it had 31 and the original post was from Feb 2016). The 40 topics takes you back to the last post date of Nov 17, 2018.

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
How do you find the new posts on Goldwingdocs?
I had to ask that question too. Look in the upper left where it says "quick links", click that and new posts appears in the drop down list.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
Facebook from a guy who used to be a steady poster here, but no more.

Ok tech guys, have had a coolant leak for awhile and if I filled up the radiator it would just leak out to a point. Although bike never gets hot unless slow parades does this look like it’s been leaking to you?

and I keep seeing this everyday, the ease of Social Media and using just the cellphone/tablet has just about destroyed our forums.

but, once the replies quit, like in 6 hours, you can't find that "thread" again to save your life.

You have no idea of where it was, on his Timeline, or inside on the Groups that Facebook makes it easy to start? no way to know, unless your keep a logbook and bookmark for that one post.

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
but, once the replies quit, like in 6 hours, you can't find that "thread" again to save your life.

You have no idea of where it was, on his Timeline, or inside on the Groups that Facebook makes it easy to start? no way to know, unless your keep a logbook and bookmark for that one post.
That's just one of the things that drove me away from farcebook.

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
It would help if the posts didn’t take so long to appear, I posted one 12 hours ago & it’s still not visible, good job it’s not urgent help required.
It looks like it didn't post at all, like you didn't click the submit button, your last post before this one was 12/17/18 If they won't post or are slow you will get an obvious error of some kind.

·
Registered
133 Posts
AZGL1800

I posted this 24 hours ago

I’m getting vibration when setting off, it’s through the drive system & disappears at 2000rpm, it’s 28 years old with 60000 miles on it, would I be right in thinking a prime suspect would be the crush drive rubbers?
It’s perfectly smooth after 2000rpm.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
AZGL1800

I posted this 24 hours ago

I’m getting vibration when setting off, it’s through the drive system & disappears at 2000rpm, it’s 28 years old with 60000 miles on it, would I be right in thinking a prime suspect would be the crush drive rubbers?
It’s perfectly smooth after 2000rpm.

Not saying you did this, but, IF you happen to click on the PreView button, it will show up looking exactly like it was posted to the forum....

then you go off to read another thread, and ?????? where did my post go?

I know this to be a fact, because GoldwingDocs and GoldwingFacts have the Submit and PreView buttons reversed in the order they appear...

and with me jumping around to several forums all day long, I am a creature of habit, and I click on the first button from the Left side..... duh!!! a lot of posts get lost.

Or, I have just come back here from my Linux forum, and it is reversed also...
and I hit the PreView button on this forum..... that just happened to me last night, I thought that I had put up a post..... but it never appeared......

·
Registered
226 Posts
In all the years I've been a member, I Can't remember it ever being anywhere near this close to death. (zero activity)
What do you consider normal? There have been 115 different people on the forums yesterday and today, from the members list sorted by last activity.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts